Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: What do you think of my report? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually don't write session reports for Twixt, since all my games are over the Net, and usually not even in real time. But I made an exception for a nice game I just barely lost: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/74545

I provide a link where you can see the position at each move of the game. This would require you to open up another window in your browser. I also recommend you go to the trouble of registering on that site, so you can select a nicer graphics display. Once you do all that, you can see what I am talking about.

If anyone does go to all that trouble, I would appreciate feedback! Would you like to see more such games? Klaus and I will hopefully be playing "live" soon on the K2z server.

Thanks for your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even figure out why you resigned, much less what in the world you're talking about regarding strategy.

I suspect the only people who will appreciate this are people who know the game well already. It wasn't until move 3 that I realized you were the right-left player and your opponent was trying to connect top-bottom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Didn't need to Login to Little Golem
I was able to see the board with labelling and diagonal lines and everything just fine, without needing to login as a user of Little Golem.

Nice game.

TheCat:
I used to play Twixt on paper (grid of dots with black and red pens) in the cafeteria during lunch with a co-worker (many years ago). We got to know each other's playing style so well over the years that our later games would often just consist of drawing blobs on the page, with maybe a few connecting lines, before one or the other of us resigned. Observers would often have the same reaction as you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Twixt, but I find this sort of thing very useful and interesting when I'm familiar with the game in question. I wrote something similar:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/32317

Though I neglected to link it to the Little Golem game, which is here:

http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/game/game.jsp?gid=126519

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
David-

Thank you for posting this report along with all the other information you've posted to this site. I'm currently in the process of trading for the game Twixt (Kosmos) and have been reading all that I can in preparation. I for one really appreciate all that you've contributed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up a copy of Twixt at my local thrift store. I've been debating whether or not to put it up for trade. This in depth report may help me decide.

(Although if anyone wants to make me an offer, that may help me decide, toodevil )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
David-

I just took some quiet time and went through your game play by play. It really does help to have a decent understanding of the rules and be able to recognize the various 'setup' patterns.

Somehow I feel (as I do in Go) that I'll always be out of 'tempo' when playing with my husband.

I might add that I'm spatially impaired...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your comments, and for actually looking at the game! Chris, you're right, it is not obvious why I resigned. I could have listed out the variations, but I generally avoided that. Anyone who wants more details can ask me. I tried to focus on the drama and the story of two long-time rivals duking it out. Even as it is, you are right again that only people who have played and enjoy the game are likely to be interested.

Twixt is an acquired taste, I suppose. It's nice to know some others out there have acquired it. If you like the idea of connection games, but Twixt is perhaps too tactical and bloody to suit you, you might like Hex instead, or Unlur, or Havannah, or *Star, or Y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.