Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Does this game qualify as a new game entry? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just bought a game I never heard of. It is newly produced and available at retailers. It is not listed on the Geek. My question is, should I add it?

1. It is a game that is similar to another listed here at the geek, and that you could play with a copy of the other game if you added a few pieces to it, and had the different rules.
2. The games are similar enough that this one could be listed as simply a variant of the other, but they are at least as different as Star Wars Monopoly and Simpson's Monopoly.
3. Both games are traditional games with unknown designers, at least 200 years old.

So, what is the consensus, should I add this as a different game, or simply add an article to the existing game listing it as a variant?

Thanks,
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Elbl
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that some games (Primordial Soup) are simply games that have other named versions (Ursuppe). These games tend to be identical, just have other (English) names.

If this is a 200 year old game (& varient?), I am wondering how much of a varient it is... if it's pretty close (In my mind, like all the monopoly games), a varient listing may be more appropriate. If it's truly different (A&A Europe) a new submission is probably necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say.
The mechanisms of what to do on a turn are the same, with a minor rule tweak. The scoring mechanisms are completely different, so much so that any strategies you may have learned playing the existing game would need to be unlearned in order to do well at the unlisted one (as my son has just demonstrated to me quite capably).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
My $0.02
I say submit and let the administrators decide. If it gets accepted (likely) get a cross-reference link on its page to the related game.

Anyway, in my opinion, what you really want to make sure of is that if someone searches for the name of the your "new" game, they'll find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the multiple Monopoly entries are a mistake. Also, seems like if the same games were entered NOW, there'd be just one single Monopoly and variants entry, rather than a buzillion. I think the administrators have shifted their thinking on that type of situation. Anyway, I doubt that using Monopoly and variants as a model is a good idea. (In fact, using Monopoly PERIOD is a bad idea.)

What you describe sounds like a unique game. Is there any mention of this variant under the related game's page? If so, perhaps an article about the variant is more appropriate. If its hitherto unmentioned, and seems more distantly related to the first game, I'd say make a new entry. And of course, the admins can decide whether it warrants its own number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think the multiple Monopoly entries are a mistake. Also, seems like if the same games were entered NOW, there'd be just one single Monopoly and variants entry, rather than a buzillion. I think the administrators have shifted their thinking on that type of situation. Anyway, I doubt that using Monopoly and variants as a model is a good idea. (In fact, using Monopoly PERIOD is a bad idea.)

Agreed.
Quote:
What you describe sounds like a unique game. Is there any mention of this variant under the related game's page? If so, perhaps an article about the variant is more appropriate. If its hitherto unmentioned, and seems more distantly related to the first game, I'd say make a new entry. And of course, the admins can decide whether it warrants its own number.

There is no mention of it on the related game page. I have submitted it as a new entry. If it does not show up in the next 14 days or so, I will just add it as an article to other game page.

Thanks for the thoughts and advice, everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Clarke
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What to do when a submission is not accepted?
I submitted a new game last November (I think). I was not accepted. Another game I submitted a couple of days later (Freemarket) was. After Freemarket wasd accepted I replied to Aldie and asked what the story was with the other game, asked if the photos I had of the game were needed to verify it's case a new game not yet listed...? I received no response.

What should you do in this situation?

BC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
Time frame for submission acceptance or not?
I'm kind of unclear on how long it takes for a new game submission to be either accepted and added, or dumped into the vast electron bucket in the sky.

So you get an email either way?
How long would it take to know for sure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I do
Quote:
I'm kind of unclear on how long it takes for a new game submission to be either accepted and added, or dumped into the vast electron bucket in the sky.

So you get an email either way?
How long would it take to know for sure?

If something is not accepted, you do not get notified. This is for all stuff that you can add that requires acceptance (files, links, session reports, reviews, pictures, games, AFAIAA).

I tend to assume that if I have not recieved gold for it after 14 days, then they didn't like it for some reason or another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bullions
England
Hayes
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General rule of thumb
If in doubt, submit the game.
BGG admin will decide if to put the game into the database. But if you don't submit it, we will never know about it. (You can also earn yourself some GeekGold by submitting a game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.