GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,033 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Improved Logistics clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Michie
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, it has been awhile since I had played but we came across this situation the other day and I need some clarification on using Improved Logistics (IL).

My understanding is that once IL comes into play the cardholder may settle a second world during the settle phase. Now the question is:

Does the player have to pay the cost of the second world (either in cards or military might)in order to settle it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must pay for it normally.

By the way, I recommend playing some games with no expansions first. While Gathering Storm isn't much more complicated, it does switch around the strategic balance quite a bit, in a way that's a little less new-player-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly have to pay the cost for a non-military world.

Bonuses like 'mercenary fleet' will work for both settles, though, if that's what you meant by paying military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Michie
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification, I'll have to apologize to my opponent next time. We used to play the game a lot but had put it aside for awhile. We just started playing it again.

Yet, isn't there a card that allows the cardholder to settle two worlds without the extra cost (other than colony ship) or am I just hallucinating a future card to create?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two cards that allow settles of extra worlds, Improved Logistics in Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm and Rebel Sneak Attack in Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War. Neither of them reduce settle costs of the extra world to zero.

However if you are using military to settle or have sufficient discounts (Replicant Robots, Colony Ship), the second world may effectively be free to settle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are hallucinating an extremely powerful card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't forget that the first world cannot be used to help settle the second world.

This happened to me just yesterday: I had 4 Military, and played the 4-cost military windfall Alien world (don't remember the name) that gives +1 Military. I also had the 5-cost military windfall Alien world that gives +2 Military. However, because the 4-cost world wasn't in play at the start of the settle phase, I could not use its +1 to settle the 5-cost world; instead, I had to discard to a development that gave me a temporary +1 Military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Galimofry wrote:

Yet, isn't there a card that allows the cardholder to settle two worlds without the extra cost (other than colony ship) or am I just hallucinating a future card to create?

Also, note that Colony ship does not allow you to settle a second world during a single Settle phase (without use of Imp Logistics).
Colony Ship reduces the cost of placing a (non-yellow, non-military) world to zero. It does not allow for an 'extra' placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave41fan wrote:
Also, don't forget that the first world cannot be used to help settle the second world.

Just a clarification to your clarification: Improved Logistics is a different case than the 2 player advanced double-Settle phase, where one WOULD get to use the world settled in the first phase to aid in the second.

Unless I'm wrong...

But I don't think I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Just a clarification to your clarification: Improved Logistics is a different case than the 2 player advanced double-Settle phase, where one WOULD get to use the world settled in the first phase to aid in the second.

Unless I'm wrong...

But I don't think I am.

Just a clarification to your clarification of the clarification: you are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rumaley
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
pseudotheist wrote:

Unless I'm wrong...

But I don't think I am.

Just a clarification to your clarification of the clarification: you are correct.

Just a clarification to your clarification of the clarification of the clarification: the first part of pesudotheist‘s self-contradictory sentence is incorrect. There is no such thing as a double-Settle phase in the 2-player advanced rules.
Rules -- with original emphasis -- wrote:

If a player chooses either two Develop or two Settle actions, then two complete, sequential phases of that type occur (with this player receiving a bonus in each of them). If his opponent also chose one of these same actions, then his opponent receives a bonus only for the first of these two phases. Powers placed in the first such phase can be used in the second one.

Next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
PhygLeGuy wrote:
entranced wrote:
pseudotheist wrote:

Unless I'm wrong...

But I don't think I am.

Just a clarification to your clarification of the clarification of the clarification: the first part of pesudotheist‘s self-contradictory sentence is incorrect. There is no such thing as a double-Settle phase in the 2-player advanced rules.
Rules -- with original emphasis -- wrote:

If a player chooses either two Develop or two Settle actions, then two complete, sequential phases of that type occur (with this player receiving a bonus in each of them). If his opponent also chose one of these same actions, then his opponent receives a bonus only for the first of these two phases. Powers placed in the first such phase can be used in the second one.

Next.

Just a clarification to the original re-clarification, re: the clarification to the clarification of the clarification of the clarification:
Read "double-Settle phase" as "double-(Settle phase)", as in 2 Settle phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.