GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,240 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: Need advice for my Dominion Blog rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Liu
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey Gamers,

I recently started playing Dominion and I LOVE it. I wanted to document my games and decided to make a blog about the games I played, but I want to make sure it's interesting to players of the game (and non-players of the game too maybe?).

Please take a look at my blog and let me know if you have any advice on how to make it snazzier/something you'd actually want to re-visit: http://dominiongame.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
PJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
There are great things afoot.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea. My first suggestion is graphics! It would be awesome if you had little icons for each of the different cards (kind of like emoticons or microbadges). coolsauronarrrh

I'm not blog-savvy, but it be cool if you could have some links or menus to help people find particular past advice or information, such as looking for strategy specifically instead of just session reports. Maybe that's beyond blogging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As usual, I decided that card advantage was the most important thing and had an aggressive strategy of purchasing Laboratory's. In order to help me get there, I also went for Moneylender's.

At the risk of being pedantic:

Sorry, but really nails on a chalkboard to me.

Other than that:

* Pictures would be nice.
* Is this still going to be fun for you to write at post 50? Maybe make some kind of goal (i.e. 40 session reports, every game over 6 months, at least one game with every card), so you can feel like it is driving to some kind of completion rather than petering out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the game, and what I read was "all Greek to me". I don't think that I would be that interested in reading it as it stands. I don't know what is being talked about. A little more explanation would be good if you are indeed interested in snaring non-players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dusik
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Sorry, but really nails on a chalkboard to me.

Other than that:

* Pictures would be nice.

Agreed. The incorrect use of the apostrophe is a pet peeve of mine, too. Photos add a little something extra to keep the reader coming back.

cferejohn wrote:
* Is this still going to be fun for you to write at post 50? Maybe make some kind of goal (i.e. 40 session reports, every game over 6 months, at least one game with every card), so you can feel like it is driving to some kind of completion rather than petering out.

This early, I wouldn't worry too much about where you are going with the blog. Have fun with it. After you've been at it for awhile, you'll have a better idea of where you want to go with it.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Liu
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies all!

Improper use of apostrophes (and really poor grammar in general) are also pet peeves of mine, can you please tell me where you saw the apostrophe used incorrectly? I really hope it's not all over the place...

Thanks!
Ray

EDIT: Nevermind! I just saw them and cringed myself. My sincere apologies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cuthbertson
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That's cool that you're into Dominion to the point of wanting to write a blog about it but as others have mentioned, there's not much there for someone unfamiliar with the game to read.
Quote:
We ended up with:
Cellar
Pearl Diver
Feast
Caravan
Thief
Cutpurse
Outpost
Torturer
Upgrade

That's great and all but... what the heck are all of those cards? That stuff means nothing to someone unfamiliar with the game. Hell, I'm familiar with it (I own it) and I can't think off the top of my head what most of those cards do.

I would think that it would be to your personal benefit (ie. enjoying what you're doing) to put your efforts into session reports here. Then you'll be writing to an audience that is both familiar with as well as interested in the content you're producing. You're likely to get some good comments as well about play style, ways to improve your game, etc. You also get GG which you can use to fancy up your profile, sell, all kinds of stuff.

Just having a blog floating out there in the 'tubes is going to either be found by someone who you've told about it or be buried in some Google search. I'm sure you'll grow bored of just keeping a diary of your Dominion games, I know I have a hard enough time feeling like putting my number of plays down let alone writing a short story about them.

Just my .02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Minivann wrote:
I've never played the game, and what I read was "all Greek to me". I don't think that I would be that interested in reading it as it stands. I don't know what is being talked about. A little more explanation would be good if you are indeed interested in snaring non-players.

This is because his blog is focusing on people who play the game, as he stated...that's his target audience, not people who have "never played the game" and to whom it would be "all Greek." He qualifies the portion about people who haven't played, both in parenthesis and with the word "maybe." So it's not a primary focus...and apart from being a tutorial, how could it be?

Sure, it would be great if people read the blog and then picked up the game if they were interested...but it seems this sort of blog would be not for the "converted," but rather "preaching to the choir."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter106 wrote:
Agent Minivann wrote:

This is because his blog is focusing on people who play the game, as he stated...that's his target audience, not people who have "never played the game" and to whom it would be "all Greek." He qualifies the portion about people who haven't played, both in parenthesis and with the word "maybe." So it's not a primary focus...and apart from being a tutorial, how could it be?

Sure, it would be great if people read the blog and then picked up the game if they were interested...but it seems this sort of blog would be not for the "converted," but rather "preaching to the choir."

It was mentioned in the first post, so I gave feedback. If that idea wasn't in the first post, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been blogging for a pretty good while now (http://gamerchris.com), and there's a few things that I'd do if I were you.

1) Write an "Intro to Dominion" article, where you sort of introduce the game, give a basic explanation of how to play, and say why you love it so much. Link this somewhere on your sidebar so that people who aren't "in the know" already have something to refer to (and which is easy to find).

2) See if there's already an online resource with Dominion card descriptions. Then link to them whenever you talk about a card and don't want to say what it does in your actual article. That way, people who don't know can follow the link if they're interested. If not, see if you can create one.

3) Don't just write about what happened or what cards were used, write about why it was cool or fun. Give some background about the situation or the combo you're talking about, and explain why it makes you happy and excited and passionate about the game. Figure out what it is you want to share about your experience and try to lay off a little on just throwing around card names.

4) Talk about the strategy you tried to use in the game, and maybe even take a little time to explain how it's supposed to work. Then get into what happened in the game and how you had to modify your plan (or how it fell apart). Then give a review about how you might tweak the plan in the future.

5) Think about writing some stand-alone "theory" or strategy articles. You mentioned your "normal route of card advantage" in your most recent entry, so why not write about that whole approach to the game and why you think it works in an entirely separate article. That way, you can even refer (or link) back to it later, and regular readers will be on the same page with you.

I really hope this helps, and I'll be reading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in... as someone who loves dominion, if you want me to read, you have to provide some content to me that's somehow new or different than what i'd get here on the geek.

If you're just going to post session reports, then I'm probably going to pass.

If you are going to do some fancy analysis and post some graphs / charts, then i'm all for it!

Example: http://www.westpark-gamers.de/index.html?/Reviews/bericht291...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Quote:
As usual, I decided that card advantage was the most important thing and had an aggressive strategy of purchasing Laboratory's. In order to help me get there, I also went for Moneylender's.

At the risk of being pedantic:

Personally, I prefer the oatmeal's take on it: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Liu
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wow. Really helpful advice everyone!!! Now I see why BoardGameGeek is THE place to go for help and advice.

I'll try and take as much of the advice as I can into account.

Thanks again!
PJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Liu
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey Gamers,

I just posted to my blog again with a more analytical focused article on Dominion. http://dominiongame.blogspot.com .

I'd love more of those BoardGameGeek comments on whether this is more in line with what some of you were suggesting I write about. (I know there was a lot of advice, and this just addresses one of those points).

Thanks!
PJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.