GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,872 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Claustrophobia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Board of Destiny rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Are you always forced to use every die even though it may mean you can't choose an ability that you really want?
Example: I have rolled 6, 5 and 2. I really want to use Burrowing Monsters but when using the 5 and 6 I have the 2 left. I have already used 'Calm before the Storm', obviously can't use 'Dark Destiny'. Would I be forced to use 'Sharpened Claws (using the 6 and 2) therefore using the 5 for 'Dark Destiny'? Maybe I am using 'Sounds from the Deep' wrong and 1 die could be allocated to that to get 2 TP? How would any of you play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CROC
France
Guyancourt
Yvelines
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
You must use all the dice but remember, red capacities can only be used once per THREAT PHASE and not once per GAME. So it never hurts to have sharp claws or supernatural speed.

CROC

Note to all Claustro fans : I'm currently on holidays far away from any wifi or 3G network. I will only answer once in a while (currently I'm eating at a MacDonalds, the only sign or civilization 10 miles around). I'll be back next saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
WhoDat wrote:
Are you always forced to use every die even though it may mean you can't choose an ability that you really want?
Example: I have rolled 6, 5 and 2. I really want to use Burrowing Monsters but when using the 5 and 6 I have the 2 left. I have already used 'Calm before the Storm', obviously can't use 'Dark Destiny'. Would I be forced to use 'Sharpened Claws (using the 6 and 2) therefore using the 5 for 'Dark Destiny'? Maybe I am using 'Sounds from the Deep' wrong and 1 die could be allocated to that to get 2 TP? How would any of you play it?

You can always allocate one die to Sounds From The Deep to gain 2TP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
biohazard wrote:
You must use all the dice but remember, red capacities can only be used once per THREAT PHASE and not once per GAME. So it never hurts to have sharp claws or supernatural speed.

CROC

Note to all Claustro fans : I'm currently on holidays far away from any wifi or 3G network. I will only answer once in a while (currently I'm eating at a MacDonalds, the only sign or civilization 10 miles around). I'll be back next saturday.

Dare I challenge the game's master? The rule book says 'once per game' and I can't really see the point of having them in red if it is once per threat phase because surely then, all abilities can be used with equal frequency? Maybe I have misunderstood what you meant.
I actually like the idea of using them only once per game. And thanks Chris, I wasn't sure if you could use only one die for 'Sounds from the Deep'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
WhoDat wrote:
Dare I challenge the game's master? The rule book says 'once per game' and I can't really see the point of having them in red if it is once per threat phase because surely then, all abilities can be used with equal frequency?

The rulebook clearly says that, and it is clearly wrong It's in the Errata, too.

You're wrong about something as well however, equal frequency: All the abilities that aren't red can be used multiple times in the same threat phase. So the red ones do have a restriction that the black ones don't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I believe the whole point is that you can use them once AND ONLY ONCE during the threat phase.

You can put multiple dice in "Sounds of the Deep" or "Dark Destiny" for example, but you can only put one die in "The Calm Before the Storm" per threat phase (i.e., no putting all three destiny dice in Calm for three bonus dice next phase).

WhoDat wrote:
biohazard wrote:

CROC

Dare I challenge the game's master? The rule book says 'once per game' and I can't really see the point of having them in red if it is once per threat phase because surely then, all abilities can be used with equal frequency? Maybe I have misunderstood what you meant.
I actually like the idea of using them only once per game. And thanks Chris, I wasn't sure if you could use only one die for 'Sounds from the Deep'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks to all of you. Didn't realise about the errata so thanks for the link. Sorry to you too, CROC. Should have known better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biohazard wrote:

They let you go on holiday? Don't they realize this means you can't answer questions as quickly?

Have a good holiday, with lots of rest, so you can come up with more good stuff for us when you get back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Paula G
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you have a terrific holiday, CROC!

Hmmm, that makes me wonder: What do game designers think about when they go on holiday? When I'm on vacation, I often think about games: playing them, making them, designing them, discussing them, evaluating them ... But I guess that if game design was my profession, I would not want to do that.

Edit: This seemed like a fun idea for my first-ever geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Croc, I didn't know there were McDonald's in New Jerusalem...cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
WhoDat wrote:
Dare I challenge the game's master? The rule book says 'once per game' and I can't really see the point of having them in red if it is once per threat phase because surely then, all abilities can be used with equal frequency?

The rulebook clearly says that, and it is clearly wrong It's in the Errata, too.

Wow, that's a pretty big misprint.

We were wondering the same thing as the OP during our first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game and after a few plays have just seen that there was a misprint in the rule book regarding the Board of Destiny items that are in red. This is a bit confusing to me.

I understand how in a few cases the limit of once per turn makes sense. For example, you can't place 3 dice on "Calm before the Storm" to roll 6 dice on the next turn. I even suppose that "They are Legion" could be misplayed by someone placing two odd and two even dice and expecting to gain +2 defense and gain 4 TP if a trog is killed.

But why are the others in red? How could someone use "Sharpened Claws", "A Taste of Blood", "Burrowing Monsters", or Resistance if Fultile" twice in one turn?

I've only played 5 games so far, all the first scenario, and they were played using the rulebook ruling of red spaces once per game. The humans have so far only pulled off a draw, and have lost the other 4 games. It seems that allowing the demon player to use the red spaces on every turn would be even more of a blood bath.

I feel like I'm missing something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Wlkp
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's not a problem with the Demons, but humans . Try to optimize the play on their sie, or play the second scenario, which is much easier for them (Croc stated, that they should win at least 50%).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:

But why are the others in red? How could someone use "Sharpened Claws", "A Taste of Blood", "Burrowing Monsters", or Resistance if Fultile" twice in one turn?

You couldn't because they are linked to a specific phase of the turn( first three) or valid for the entire turn(Last one)
But it would probably be more confusing if they were printed in black, because many people would wonder how they could use these abilities more than once per turn.

jbbnbsmith wrote:

I've only played 5 games so far, all the first scenario, and they were played using the rulebook ruling of red spaces once per game. The humans have so far only pulled off a draw, and have lost the other 4 games. It seems that allowing the demon player to use the red spaces on every turn would be even more of a blood bath.

THis is a game that is easy to play, but can be hard to master. Stay with it, you'll learn to play it the best way.

In the first scenario: Stick together, move fast and use Aura of Precognition as much as you can.

Stig Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:

They might as well be red then, right?

jbbnbsmith wrote:

I suggest you take the time to go through the game I recorded step by step in my review. I've had a number of people tell me that it helped them discover errors they'd been making, and others have said it has given them useful tactical tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
jbbnbsmith wrote:

They might as well be red then, right?

jbbnbsmith wrote:

I suggest you take the time to go through the game I recorded step by step in my review. I've had a number of people tell me that it helped them discover errors they'd been making, and others have said it has given them useful tactical tips.

Well, it turns out that what I was missing mainly was a proper understanding of the rules! I really rushed through the rules on this game because my son wanted to play with me (I think that is a valid excuse.)

As it turns out, upon another read-through last night, I was playing the exploration wrong.

One final question though, related to the Board of Destiny; "Trap" isn't red. Now the way it reads seems to clearly state that no matter how many dice you place on it, as long as the total is >= 12 you trigger the trap effect. Yet it is not in red, which seems to suggest that it can be used twice per turn. So does that mean that if i am rolling four dice and happen to roll a 24 I can deal out two hits on a human? That doesn't seem right, but the entry is not in red.

And just for the record, I really like this game, even when I am playing it incorrectly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:
One final question though, related to the Board of Destiny; "Trap" isn't red. Now the way it reads seems to clearly state that no matter how many dice you place on it, as long as the total is >= 12 you trigger the trap effect. Yet it is not in red, which seems to suggest that it can be used twice per turn. So does that mean that if i am rolling four dice and happen to roll a 24 I can deal out two hits on a human? That doesn't seem right, but the entry is not in red.

That's right - once in every 1296 throws of 4 dice (on average), you'll be able to do that. Be sure to do a devilish victory dance when the puny humans cry over how unfair it is!
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etanol PL
Poland
flag msg tools
"Abilities printed in red can only be selected once per Threat phase"

The question is:

Is that mean demon player can use only one red ability during Threat phase ???

I think that using more than one red abilities in the same threat phase is not allowed. Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etanol_pl wrote:
"Abilities printed in red can only be selected once per Threat phase"

The question is:

Is that mean demon player can use only one red ability during Threat phase ???

I think that using more than one red abilities in the same threat phase is not allowed. Am I right?
You can use multiple red abilities. Each of them can only be used once per Threat phase. There are many threads here on BGG where you can read this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.