Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Mary and the Trias mind control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
A little tale since it is Mary's birthday (well it is Friday here, and it probably will be in South Dakota in a few hours).

Just before Christmas I was shopping for a game for Melissa. My initial candidates included Modern Art, San Juan, Starship Catan and Odin's Raven's. Also since I was at Australia's premiere game's store (Mind Games - Melbourne) I figured I would have a look at what else they had.

Modern Art (Out of stock)
San Juan (Out of stock)
Starship Catan (Out of stock)
Odin's Raven's

After looking around you can guess what two other games ended up in my hands to contend with Odin's Raven's can't you? meeple

Yes it was Trias and Hansa.

I can't actually think of Trias with out the word "Sodaklady" or "Mary" popping into my head, quite often followed by "Chaddyboy".

Looking at the three, I went with Trias because it seemed more like a game for Melissa, I would probably prefer Hansa more than Melissa.

We've now played it two and four player. Two player seemed very abstract, strangely four player much less so. The four player was very good and quite competitive.

Happy Birthday Mary and please don't use your mind control for expensive games! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
My Mary games...
I just traded my copy of Trias away. Played it wrong twice, but noone was willing to give it another go. cry Richard Dore (rdore here) is the proud new owner, maybe he too was influenced by Mary...

On the brighter side Samurai and Hansa have both been winners with me and my group and I have Mary to thank for both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Me Too
I too have been mulling over and over whether to purchase Trias or not. It has been on my want list for quite some time, thanks to Mary. Unfortunately, I have snot to trade, so it will most likely end up a future purchase. It was a contender for a pre-holiday order but Hansa won the fight this time. I hesitate to purchase it because I'm afraid that I may be the only one who ends up liking the game. It's not my husband's cup of tea - he's not much for tile games (save for Metro & Samurai) and he hated Carcassonne. It seems when we get together with our gaming friends, they lean more positively toward games with a high fun factor. So, Hansa & Quicksand to play with my 10 yo son, and Andromeda and Arena Maximus for the group. Trias, just be patient, I'll get to you yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Trias isn't really a "tile game" in the spirit of Carcassonne or M. Tiles aren't drawn from a pile, flipped over and played; they're already visible, and just sort of float around.

It's a fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You willlll buuyy....
Thanks for sharing this story, Fraser. I, too, think you should have at least 3 players for it to be competitive.

As for the "please don't use your mind control for expensive games!", is it wrong for me to say I really enjoy Oltremare?! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite possibly, quite possibly meeple

You know I am now going to have to a least look at that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.