Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Awful discover about my GF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
So yesterday we played twice Settlers of Catan, with 4 and with 3.
And I discovered that Settlers bores me after two plays!
And I discovered that my Girlfriend... is affected by analysis paralisis! Arrrrrrrgh! Move, for God's sake! You can do NOTHING with that damned single clay card! Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You can do NOTHING with that damned single clay card!

you can trade it for ermmmm.... ... favors blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Latria wrote:
Quote:
You can do NOTHING with that damned single clay card!

you can trade it for ermmmm.... ... favors blush

And that's how you end up with Avatars like yours (and mine) meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJJ Zwiers
Netherlands
Enschede
Nederland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, Good one!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
And mine!
But I'm not the one putting out the favors devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wives
Yeah, I hear wives sometimes just want to get it over with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could have been worse; you might have enjoyed Settlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife recently confessed to me that she often feigns interest in Settlers just to please me. I feel that games should be enjoyed by both of us so I ask her what she wants to play now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
And so, fizzix...
Quote:
My wife recently confessed to me that she often feigns interest in Settlers just to please me.

I'm just going to assume here that you pursued this admission on her part to see if she was extending you the same... uhhh... charade, in any other areas of your relationship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faking
Sorry, but the "Is my wife faking?" idea is too good to pass up...

"Ha! I've been faking all along! Does this sound familiar, Mr. Settlers-Pants?

"'Oooh, I'm so INTERESTED in this game! What are you going to build next? Is it a road?!? I bet it's the longest road...'"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Alexander
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Quote:
So yesterday we played twice Settlers of Catan, with 4 and with 3.
And I discovered that Settlers bores me after two plays!
And I discovered that my Girlfriend... is affected by analysis paralisis! Arrrrrrrgh! Move, for God's sake! You can do NOTHING with that damned single clay card! Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove!

I've had similar problems - played lots with the usual group, it was fun. Played a few times with some other people, and it sometimes got REALLY painful and boring - we even put it away for a few months. I figured out why...

It depends on the speed of the game!

Settlers can't be played slowly! If a game takes much more than 45 minutes, it's no fun. If everyone plays really fast, trades are fast, etc., then a LOT can happen in that 45 minutes, and if your numbers don't come up, well there's always next game - not much lost. A game that starts to drag gets even worse when everyone thinks "well, if I'm going to be in this game for a while, I might as well maximize my chances by analyzing every possibility".

That's why seafarers, 5-6 player Settlers, etc. never works for us.

We still bring it out on occasion, but if someone thinks for more than 10 seconds, they start getting things thrown at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I have this "problem" to a small degree. I usually only let it really affect me at the very beginning when placing the initial settlements; since the game hasn't really started yet people groan a little bit, but I haven't disrupted the flow of the game. Once the actual game starts going, I back off a bit.

Also, don't allow yourself to play this game with distractions; this makes people miss trades or have to shout at people to get their attention. Once everybody has gotten their resources from the dice roll, trading should be fairly fast and furious.

There is one exception in some cases; the endgame. The last game I won, I won because I spent prolly a couple minutes analyzing trade possibilities with my hand; I had a 3:1 port and a 2:1 ore port and I needed three roads to win the game. I already had three wood and one brick, as well as a random combination of resources. I couldn't trade for brick from other people, but it turns out that a combination of trades from two other players and the bank gave me what I wanted (fortunately I had a couple hidden victory points so they didn't realize I was so close to winning).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
& for a change
You could visit My avatar for your 'favor place'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slow Play
Luca,

My wife plays slowly too. I have come to accept it. The reason she plays slowly is that she likes to win. She likes to consider all of her options each turn and choose the best one.

She also likes to play games. The reason she likes to play games is becuase she is competitive by nature (a former college basketball star) and because she likes interacting with me, because I am a fun, relaxed, easy guy to be around. When I make the experience negative for her (by rushing her, or by NOT being a fun, relaxed easy guy) she doesn't enjoy herself and then SHE NO LONGER WANTS TO PLAY.

I play more intuitively, and also my brain just works faster. These are tempremental and genetic advantages. I have had to learn patience and also to enjoy a game played as a liesure activity (with the focus on the process) rather than as a demonstration (with the focus on the outcome).

It has been good for me, and I have a wife who LOVES to play games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.