Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1921 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [77] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: BoardGameGeek for Android App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: android [+] app [+] Android-App-BGG [+] BGG-APP [+] BGG_Geek_Tools [+] geektool [+] [View All]
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Android 1.5 support please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
Image is from Turandot. It looks just like me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
ccomeaux wrote:
- NEW: Collection filtering
That's an important feature for me. Before that I only synced "Want to Play" so the list is not too long -- even though I do not have many board games.
Now I sync Want To Play, Own and Wishlist.
Feature request: Only display the status values that have been synced when selecting the values to display. Currently other values show up in the selection list, too.
I considered that. But if you only sync "Own"ed games, you could still have games that are tagged as "Want to Play" (for example) that you want to filter on. It should be easy enough to add an option to limit this so both sides are happy. I'll add that to the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
HikariStarshine wrote:
Yeah, it's been doing it ever since I updated. I managed to get one good day of searching, then... nothing. I even tried deleting the program and reinstalling it yesterday.

I wonder if you're trying to do some kind of a system call that requires a later version of AndroidOS than what the Eris has? It's an older phone, after all, and can't run anything higher than Android 2.1 on its undersized processor. Poor slow phone.

I'm experiencing this as well with the newest version.
But here is the funny thing. If I search for Ad Astra, spinny forever. If I search for Astra, I get it in the results list right away.
If I search for Bootleggers, spinny. Search for Boot, it works fine.

I think it is because I disabled the "skip search results" and it only seems to be when I search for something that is unique. Hope it helps.
Ah - this is good information! I'll see if I can reproduce that with your detailed description. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
Android 1.5 support please
That's not really on the road map. According to Google's numbers only 1.3% of the devices are running 1.5 (and nothing is running less than that). Given the effort it will take to implement, I bet that 1.3% will be even less. In fact, I was planning on leaving Android 1.6 behind soon since that's only another 2.0%. We'd gain a lot of functionality in the API by moving to support 2.1 and above. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb

I guess I should consider upgrading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this exists and I am just missing it but...

I'd like to be able to add a game to my collection from the app. I mostly use the app while in my FLGS, and I'd like to be to just go ahead and add that game I am buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conphas wrote:
I'm not sure if this exists and I am just missing it but...

I'd like to be able to add a game to my collection from the app. I mostly use the app while in my FLGS, and I'd like to be to just go ahead and add that game I am buying.
Nope, that's not a feature (yet). But it is part of the ever-growing roadmap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siew
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to chime in to say I'm loving the new version. Thanks for adding the long click menus for logging, etc. Love it! Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Since there isn't a link to the official Android Market on the main post, I thought I'd put it here:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.boardgamegeek&feat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msiew wrote:
Just wanted to chime in to say I'm loving the new version. Thanks for adding the long click menus for logging, etc. Love it! Great work.
Thanks! I'm sure I speak for all the developers when I say your kind words really mean a lot. Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
Since there isn't a link to the official Android Market on the main post, I thought I'd put it here:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.boardgamegeek&feat...
Thanks! The initial post is way old. I hope to update it with new screenshots at least. For the time I've added this link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kings
England
Bursledon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great app guys. I'm glad it's been resurrected. The new version 3.* is excellent. So, firstly, thank you!

Something that I do on occasion is download rules files (PDFs etc.) to read on my phone on work breaks/on the train etc. Whilst it's feasible to go through the website as I do now, is there a way to integrate the files sections of the forum, so that I can get as far as the download from within the app?

Again, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome update! Forum access works great so far! it will make checking for rules questions a breeze!

File access would rock! I was thinking of that too!

Collection management would be incredible too!

Another feature suggestions to thinking about is Geeklist browsing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kings
England
Bursledon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, another idea; It would be nice to see more via the GeekBuddies section. At the moment, you can only view a Buddy's avatar so it would be cool to get some more functionality it there, such as recent activity/forum posts etc. (I am thinking that it's present, limited form is rather basic, so you may already have this in development)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guru Cube wrote:
Great app guys. I'm glad it's been resurrected. The new version 3.* is excellent. So, firstly, thank you!
Thanks for the kind words. It means a lot!

Guru Cube wrote:
Something that I do on occasion is download rules files (PDFs etc.) to read on my phone on work breaks/on the train etc. Whilst it's feasible to go through the website as I do now, is there a way to integrate the files sections of the forum, so that I can get as far as the download from within the app?
Unfortunately, that's not something that's exposed in the API. And given the fact that CAPTCHAs sometimes surround the download link, I imagine this won't be coming anytime soon. So until something changes, this won't be going on the roadmap. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
Collection management would be incredible too!
This is coming. Soon-ish.

jgilmour wrote:
Another feature suggestions to thinking about is Geeklist browsing.
Right now, the only easy thing to do would be to show a GeekList if you had the ID. But there's no way to get a list of GeekLists, either by game, or hotness, or any other way. So this probably won't be coming any time soon. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guru Cube wrote:
Ahh, another idea; It would be nice to see more via the GeekBuddies section. At the moment, you can only view a Buddy's avatar so it would be cool to get some more functionality it there, such as recent activity/forum posts etc. (I am thinking that it's present, limited form is rather basic, so you may already have this in development)
We're actually working on the ability to see a GeekBuddy's collection. We also have viewing their buddies, guilds, hot and top 10s on the roadmap too. And you're right, there's not much functionality there right now. This was mainly there just as a test for the new syncing that was implemented. The only real function it has today is to populate a list of user names to use while logging a play. Thanks again for the suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robot Monkey
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great app! It's attractive and logging plays works very nicely indeed. And the links feature to boardgameprices that let's me check prices with my favorite retailer? Very, very nice.

May I make some suggestions?

1. Allow the app to remember my filter setting. This would make looking at, say, "OWNED and WANT TO PLAY" very easy to get to. I want access to my owned list and my wishlist; the current setup takes too many clicks to get to what I want. Which brings me to #2:

2. Put a second collection icon on the main page for WISHLIST. Better, make a second COLLECTION button and have it remember my filter choice. Let me title the launch icon. Then I could have WISHLIST as one of my buttons and everyone else could have whatever combination suited them for the second collection button.

3. If you need screen space for user configurable buttons you could move SETTINGS to the pop-up menu (where ABOUT resides right now). SYNC could go there too.

4. Speaking of SYNC, how about an sync on launch option? Or more sync options like Epistle uses.

Just some thoughts -- I know a lot of stuff is easier said then done. Thanks again for the great app!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone know how I can snag this app to copy onto an SD card? I'd like to put it on my e-reader, and I'm somewhat new at this Android OS stuff (running 2.0 on a Pandigital).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robot Monkey
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Anyone know how I can snag this app to copy onto an SD card? I'd like to put it on my e-reader, and I'm somewhat new at this Android OS stuff (running 2.0 on a Pandigital).

I believe this is the correct apk:

http://boardgamegeek.googlecode.com/svn/branches/scan/BoardG...

You'd copy the apk onto your device and then use a file manager like Astro to launch the install.

I hope this is okay with the devs -- this is what turned up when I googled the apk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Hot diggity!

Thank you, Sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robot monkey wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

I believe this is the correct apk:

http://boardgamegeek.googlecode.com/svn/branches/scan/BoardG...

You'd copy the apk onto your device and then use a file manager like Astro to launch the install.

I hope this is okay with the devs -- this is what turned up when I googled the apk.

It's no problem with the devs, but this is not the right APK. We don't check the binaries in any more. I'll be glad to email it to you if you send me your address via GeekMail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robot Monkey
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

It's no problem with the devs, but this is not the right APK. We don't check the binaries in any more. I'll be glad to email it to you if you send me your address via GeekMail.

Well, there you go, Eric!

Chris, any thoughts on my comments, especially with regard to the app remembering my collection filter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Comeaux
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
War Eagle!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to save and restore your filters is definitely on the road map. The road map is getting pretty long at this point, but this should be a reasonably easy feature to implement. We probably won't add this to the home screen, but we'll see what happens once we get closer to implementation.

As far as sync settings, we need to improve the syncing before we sync on launch. Right now the sync pull in more code and spends more time iterating through the collection than it should. I have a pretty solid idea how to do it. Now I just need the time!

Thanks for the kind words and feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robot Monkey
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ccomeaux wrote:
The ability to save and restore your filters is definitely on the road map...

I can imagine the roadmap -- and your work ahead -- can be daunting. Glad to see that remembering filter settings is on it.

ccomeaux wrote:
Thanks for the kind words and feedback.

All deserved. I know it's difficult to make something without getting dejected from some niggling comment from the peanut gallery (me in this case).

The thing is, the app is already useful (I logged plays just this evening with the quick log feature and it was super easy). The fact that the dev (devs?) are working to improve an already useful app make my heart go pitter-patter.

Thanks again. If you put ads on to make a few shekels I certainly wouldn't be upset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [77] |