Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: FED EX Ground is the worst rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Russo
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have multiple horror stories with Fed Ex ground but I wont bore you with them, I will bore you with a short hypothesis, I think FED EX tried to cut into USPS and UPS home market but not using their own staff. I think they contract out the packages from a distribution center to anyone who will deliver them. They also offer small businesses a very competitive rate to ship.

Just a guess, I avoid them at all costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree
The absolute worst. Here is my horror story:

I had a package coming from the west coast. FedEx Ground was the carrier. I had it shipped to my office, but the shipper put my home address (billing address) as the delivery address. No one was home to sign for it, so they refused to leave it, and left me a note in Spanish. Why they assumed I didn't speak English, I have no idea, but I had to get my niece to translate it for me. It then took two days of wrangling and phone calls to find it and have it delivered to my office.

The day they delivered it, I was working, and I left at 4:30, without my package. I checked the web site when I got home and they said they left it at the door of my office building (at 3:45, when I was still there) because
no signature proof was requested! I spent half the next day searching my office building for the package.

What I want to know is, if leaving it at the door because "no signature proof was requested" is OK, why didn't they do that 3 days earlier when they were at my house?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Petty
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
I was walking in downtown seattle and up ahead of me I saw these boxes being thrown from the alley onto the sidewalk (I thought to myself that there is some pissed off delivery person doing that), as I came to the alley I saw it was a Fed ex ground truck. The truth is that usps and ups also do that (I ship alot of stereos and large electronics and they really have to be packed so that they can be thrown out a 2nd story window), I frequently get dinged up games through UPS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Russo
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
throwing boxes
throwing was explained to me as a shippers game. If whatever is inside breaks then it wasn't packed properly.cry

A side note, for United States -- I love the postal service, they even have a 24 hour package weigh and drop //uses cc// near my house, this came in very handy during the holidays.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim schultz
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Fedex in Canada
Man,

In Winnipeg I have heard several horror stories about Fedex. The main theme is that here if your not home(and most people aren't for obvious reasons) they leave the package on your step. A coworker had a set of speakers he bought on eBay sitting on his back porch when he got home from work. Lucky it didn't rain. Or even worse what if your on vacation for 2 weeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim schultz
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
EDIT above post
Man,

In Winnipeg I have heard several horror stories about Fedex. The main theme is that here if your not home during the day when they deliver(and most people aren't for obvious reasons) they leave the package on your step. A coworker had a set of speakers he bought on eBay sitting on his back porch when he got home from work. Lucky it didn't rain. Or even worse what if your on vacation for 2 weeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross border Fedex...ugh!!
The processing fee is one reason why I don't get hard to find games from Funagain anymore. A year ago, they didn't send anything to Canada unless it was by Fedex. It may have changed now...I'm not sure.
Gamefest sends things our way via USPS, that's why I get such games from them... plus they are a great company to do business with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everyone hates FedEx lately!
A friend of mine recently had a bad experience with FedEx and shared the letter he wrote in complaint with all his friends. Apparently the incompetence permeates all levels of the company. My friend said in his email "And please don't send anything Fedex (unless you already work there and well, if you can, resign immediately and find another shipping company to work for). In fact, don't ship me anything; just come over and bring it."

Here's the letter he wrote that he shared with me and his other friends, and I'm now sharing with you, for our mutual enjoyment:

[my friend]
Seattle, WA 98188
January 4, 2005

FedEx Customer Relations
3875 Airways, Module H3
Department 4634
Memphis, TN 38116

RE: t/n 848508844300

I am writing to complain about the abominable experience I had on December 31, 2004 in trying to obtain my overnight express package that was supposed to have been delivered to my office by 10:30 AM.

The package contained my cellular phone that had accidentally been left behind at the Alaska Airlines lounge at LAX Airport. I needed that phone as it is my only phone & contained new contact information from a trip that I had no time to transfer to my address book.

I started tracking the package online starting at 9:00 AM on December 31, 2004 after I obtained the Fedex tracking number from Alaska Airlines staff who sent the item the day previously. I checked the status on the Fedex website where it still said that it was due to delivered by 10:30 AM. 10:30 came and went with no package. I started getting worried about the delay around 11:30 AM. However, due to it being New Year’s Eve, I figured that perhaps the road conditions were bad and that the Fedex van driver was simply stuck in traffic so I continued to think that nothing was wrong.

Since I had an appointment to have cable internet installed at my residence at 1:00 PM, I decided to phone your customer service center around noon time to try to ascertain why the package had still not arrived. I dialed the toll-free number and was told that the package was mislabeled with a different area code, 98181, instead of the actual address of 98188. I then inquired as to where the package was (if it was in Seattle already) since I was more than willing to drive to the Fedex facility to retrieve my item personally since it would be on my drive home. I would still have time to make my appointment.

I was told that the package was at the Fedex facility at 651 South Alaska Street and since the customer service associate who was helping me was not local, he transferred me to someone who claimed that she was at the 651 South Alaska Street location to provide me with directions. Before doing so, she again requested the tracking number to make sure that the package was still at that facility. She checked & said that it was indeed at their location. I asked that the item then be held for me while I drove over. She placed the call on hold briefly to get her bearings and then provided the directions to me. I immediately got into my car and drove over. The facility is only 15 minutes away from my office.

When I got to there, I went inside and told the associate at the counter that I had come to pick up my package since I was informed that it was there. The person then asked me who told me that it was there whereupon I told him what took place earlier on the phone. He then told me that the package was not at the facility, that it had been mislabeled by the shipper, that it had been delayed at the dock and sent back to the holding facility at the airport. I asked why this information was not given to me at the conversation 15 minutes earlier if he could clearly see it in his monitor. My office is 3 minutes away from the holding facility at the airport and I could have been spared the drive time and trouble getting to this facility. The guy then asked who I spoke with & who told me that it was at his location. Of course, I did not have that answer. I asked to speak with the manager on duty, named Janet, who, in short, said that they would attempt to pull the package if it was still at the loading dock but that it was no longer at the 651 Alaska Street location.

After about 20 minutes, by which time, it was almost 1:00 PM, the manager on duty returned and informed me that the package had been retrieved and would be ready for me at the airport holding facility in 30 minutes. I said I would go and get it whereupon Janet asked me it I knew where the office was since it was different from where the planes are loaded and unloaded. Since I am a member of the Seattle-Tacoma Air Cargo Association, I told her that I knew exactly where the holding facility was.

Angry and disappointed as I was to learn that I would have to drive back almost to my office, I nevertheless thanked Janet and drove back to the airport.

When I got there, I gave the woman associate at the counter my tracking number and she insisted that the package was at the 651 South Alaska Street facility. This was too much for me. I told her again that I was specifically told that it was at the airport. She said it was impossible as that is not what the computer said. I told her that Janet, the duty manager at the other location told me otherwise. Then the woman said, “oh, you spoke to Janet!” Now get this: it turned out my package was actually right next to her at the counter.

She asked to see my ID and to sign for the package. By the way, as of 5:00 PM on Tuesday, January 4, 2005, the delivery status on this tracking number still says “delivered” when in fact, I picked it up myself. Why doesn’t it say “retrieved or picked-up by recipient?”

As she handed me the package, my cellular phone rang from inside. It was of course, my cable internet installer trying to get inside my residence and wondering when I am. I missed the appointment, of course, and the cable company will be unable to come and install my equipment for another 2 weeks. I cannot begin to describe to you how miserable I felt listening to that phone ring right as she handed me the package.

Is this the hallmark of the Federal Express experience? Why can’t your tracking software document exactly where a package is? If your tracking system is as good as you claim, why couldn’t it and your employees tell me truthfully where my package is? Why does your staff have to be evasive about replying to a direct question? Why did I have to mention the manager’s name to the associate if she was practically holding the item? In fact, if you always make sure that the recipient’s phone number is on the air waybill before a package is picked up from the shipper, why didn’t someone phone my office to ascertain the proper Zip Code? My office phone was listed right on the airway bill. And when I go to your website to track my package, exactly what am I really tracking? Can I believe it? Is this the kind of experience that a consumer can expect from a Malcolm Baldridge National Quality Award recipient?

If any of those people who dealt with me at either airport holding facility or at the South Alaska Street are still working for you today, then I feel sorry for you, your clients and your shareholders. My experience with them may be over but your company is still stuck with their terrible customer service attitude, which they will foist on your other customers. Good luck.

I don’t think I will ever ship another item by Fedex again. With package delivery service like that, your shipping charge is grossly overpriced and the convenience & reliability of your product is shamefully overvalued.

Most respectfully yours,

[my friend]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McBeth
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally am hating DHL. The company I work for has a contract with them, and as part of our daily business, I shipped something for my business, which was paid for as part of our contract. About a month later, my wife received a bill at our home from them. Figuring I had shipped something without mentioning it to her, she paid the bill for this package. A month after that, we start getting nasty-grams from them demanding payment for this shipment and making the usual references to collection agencies. Six months, and many phone calls later, they are admitted that the shipment was paid for, but refuse to refund anybody the double payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fed Ex is the Worst
I have complained several times to Fed Ex here in Reno, Nv. but they ignore my complaints. Yes, they use civilian contractors with no accountability. They do not deliever on Mondays. They have left my packages on the sidewalk, package crushed, and have delievered extremely late in the evening. They have till 8 pm to deliever, by then I am ready to relax and go to bed. I am STILL waiting for my package from Boards and Bits that use Fed Ex ground. That package was supposed to arrive 12-30-04. It could have and should have been delievered during 1-4 to 1-6 2005. I do not know why and neither does Fed Ex. It's been almost 6 months since the last time Fed Ex ground delivered a package. I do not do business with companies that use Fed Ex ground. Two other gaming companies had fired Fed Ex ground due to their poor service and not responding to the customer's complaints. Call the company if it only states "Shipping". It maybe Fed Ex ground! :O(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have complained several times to Fed Ex here in Reno, Nv. but they ignore my complaints. Yes, they use civilian contractors with no accountability. They do not deliever on Mondays. They have left my packages on the sidewalk, package crushed, and have delievered extremely late in the evening. They have till 8 pm to deliever, by then I am ready to relax and go to bed. I am STILL waiting for my package from a gaming company in Seattle Washington that uses Fed Ex ground. That package was supposed to arrive 12-30-04. It could have and should have been delievered during 1-4 to 1-6 2005. I do not know why and neither does Fed Ex. I still haven't recieved this package, and guess that it will be delievered later in the week, I hope. It's been almost 6 months since the last time Fed Ex ground delivered a package. I do not do business with companies that use Fed Ex ground. Two other gaming companies had fired Fed Ex ground due to their poor service and not responding to the customer's complaints. Call the company if it only states "Shipping". It maybe Fed Ex ground! :O(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Mauer
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chirstmas gifts...
My FedEx story...

This cristmastime my sister in St. Louis sends to us a large box of gifts. Yeah Gifts! Fedex leaves the box on my front porch sometime between seven and nine... in the pouring rain! angry

I was home, in fact I was sitting about five steps from the door. Why the #%&* didn't he knock on the door? The lights were on. The car was in the drive.

I know it wasn't there before seven because I had been outside. I only happened to discover the box because I needed my PDA which I had left in the car.

Never, Never, Never use Fedex!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
does not compute....
The thing I don't understand is that - many people work during the day - working gives us the money to buy stuff - why is stuff we buy with the money we have earnt delivered while we are at work? Why can't parcels be delivered in the evenings?

I have the same problem with shops. Why do they close when the majority of people are coming out of work - with money to spend in the shops?

Clearly nothing is done for customers convienience and we are programmed into believing otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Oh the horror stories....
Working for a business that ships a lot of items, I have plenty of horror stories about damaged packages and bad service. Our most recent is that UPS ran a forklift through a speaker, making a nice 5-inch-deep cut into the front of it, and then claimed that the speaker was inspected at the customer's home and was found to be without flaw. They frequently cite "insufficient packaging" as the reason for freight damage, despite the fact that the packaging is the manufacturer's original packaging that was used to deliver the product in the first place.

As to shipping services leaving packages outside, sometimes that can be rectified by requesting a delivery confirmation with required signature. That way they are required to get someone to sign for the package -- someone who presumably would not leave the package sitting on the doorstep.

Also, I despise FedEx as well due to a slew of billing and service irregularities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
FedEx is really bad
I ordered a bunch of games that had to come cross country. Since FedEx will not accept damaged boxes, I knew they had damaged it en route. All five of the game boxes were damaged, one almost crushed. I was furious. It took nearly an entire month to get the whole thing straightened out and my new games to me. Oddly enough, FedEx will also hold onto packages and deliver them at the last possible day to meet contract requirements, which I believe is why so many of their ground ships miss their deadlines.

If the USPS had shipped it, it would have taken half the time and been about one-third the price. There is no tracking, but you get your package. And FedEx no longer has good customer service anymore.

As for the Malcolm Baldridge Award, it's more like Baldrick from Blackadder service now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't go into detail about my bad FedEx experiences, but there have been a couple involving a numerically challenged FedEx driver. Nothing as bad as what others here have mentioned though. I personally prefer UPS deliveries to my home - I have never had a bad experience with them. Any packages left on my uncovered back doorstep on a rainy day have been wrapped in plastic and all of the estimated delivery dates have been on the nose. This has nothing to do with the fact that my husband is a UPS driver himself, which is another totally different story. Horror stories from my husband, believe you me. BUT, great benefits definitely.
From what I've heard about the bashing of boxes, a lot of it is due to the fact that the inside workings of the UPS warehouses are all about numbers. The more, the better. It's not like they have time to bash the boxes for fun. Inside the warehouse, they're speedily whipping these things around like there's no tomorrow, paying almost no heed to the markings on the boxes.
As for prices when shipping boxes myself, USPS for most domestic and all international, and UPS for some domestic.

I still can't believe that UPS employees don't even get a shipping price break. The only advantage is that I don't have to visit a UPS shipping center. I pay online and print out the label, slap it on the box, and hand the box to my honey along with his lunch and a cup of coffee on his way out the door in the morning.

On another note - we have a pool table being delivered via some sort of shipper within the next week. I'm crossing my fingers for a good experience with this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.