Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Ratings, why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity what does the rating system do to serve the BGG the community? The pictures and the list's rating?

It all just seems a little pointless ands adds to the clutter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it pointless
I'd call it counterproductive and cliquish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Not?
It will eventually improve the usefulness of the site in my opinion. And it's fun!wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2 cents
Not sure I understand the "why" behind rating lists and pics either. Some lists are great, some suck. No need to grade them. Sorry if I missed discussions about this.

Different strokes for different folks. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the ratings. They don't give me the complete story of what's good and what's not, but at least I get some kind of indication of what lists to read. As for images, it's nice if the default image shown on the game page is a decent one, and the ratings can ensure that.

And, of course, I can brag about having produced the absolutely lowest-rated image on the geek. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea is to get rid of the clutter, or at least allow us to bypass it. Have you ever looked at the amount of GeekLists that are listed under most game entries? Who has time to sort them all out? With ratings, you can go right to the highly rated ones if you want.

That said, I have reservations as well. As I've stated already on a couple of other journals, I hope this will be the last of the rating features, and I'm strongly opposed to rating journal entries, list comments, and other kinds of communications. It's a little harsh when someone tries to make a contribution and it gets slammed with low ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
as far as rating lists goes, I'd think a simple count of users who have that list as a "Favorite" would be more accurate....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To repeat John Lopez's post, see:

http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hans, I'm definitely in the running for lowest rated article-- my attempt at humor on the Zertz page!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It will eventually improve the usefulness of the site in my opinion.

Im not so sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Rating System
Thumbs up from me, although the ratings need to show up in the individual game pages. That is where they would be the most useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I think...
Quote:
Just out of curiosity what does the rating system do to serve the BGG the community? The pictures and the list's rating?

It all just seems a little pointless ands adds to the clutter.

I guess the thing that I'm hoping having ratings will accomplish is that it will make it easier to get to information that is relevant to what I'm looking for. Over the past several months as the registered users have risen steadily, there have been more and more Geeklists that seem to just take up space. It wouldnt be so bad if there had been more on the front page at a time, (which there is now!!), but when the frivolous (IMHO) Geeklists knock off a serious and relevant Geeklist that someone spent hours making, there is a problem.

It looks like Aldie and Derk are giving us the best of both worlds. If you want to sort your lists/journals by those most recent and damn the ratings, go ahead and do so. If you like the rating system and want to sort throught the chaff to get to the meaty seeds, you have that option too.

There can be all sorts of little tabs across the top of both the Geeklists and Journals, and we may even get to have BGG remember our preferences in time.

People will always try and manipulate ratings, but a few low ratings will always be balanced out over time as more and more people rate things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I guess the thing that I'm hoping having ratings will accomplish is that it will make it easier to get to information that is relevant to what I'm looking for.

I am all for this, if the ratings made the site easier to navigate that would be wonderfull. But it won't. Crappy lists, crappy pictures and crappy journals are still going to be sifted through to find the good one. the crap is still there, now you have a little number (which is usually less helpfull than the title of the item in question.)

Its just too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the picture ratings. The quality of the default pictures for geeklists has risen drasticly as a result of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Felker
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the ratings, it will make you think before putting out a sorry, redundant list or lame, blurry picture.

It makes the website a game.

Who's gonna win....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
The ratings will help new users more than anything else. Picture ratings aside - the ratings for the geeklist are a tremendous boon. I can look at the average rating for a geeklist and see how others perceive that geeklist. Does that mean one rating of "1" will chase me away? No more than one rating of "1" will make me decide not to buy a game. Any list rated "6" or higher is probably worth my time to read, especially if there are over 20 ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May be useful but...
A three point scale would be more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
How will it improve the site and how will it be fun?
Quote:
It will eventually improve the usefulness of the site in my opinion. And it's fun!

Brad, how will ratings on Geek lists accomplish these goals? We do not use any sort of objective criteria in rating anything on this site. What we like, we rate high. What we don't like, we rate low. Sound familiar? What will be fun about rating Geek lists low and brusing other people's egos because some of these people will take the ratings too seriously. My view about ratings has remained a constant, "who gives a rat's angryangryangry?" Thus, my ego is not bruised when others rank my rank reviews low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pfeiffer
United States
Surfside Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratings purpose??
I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth. I really don't like either rating for pictures or for Geeklists.

The pictures are mostly of the covers of the game, or perhaps of the board and pieces. Except for rating the pixel quality of a particular picture which might have some value in determining which picture is the clearest, the entire object of the picture is simply to give the rest of the geek an idea about what a game looks like. It serves relatively little purpose in determining if a game is good or not.

Rating the Geeklists is a bad idea because it might stop a new geek from posting a list for fear of getting a bad rating. The idea of this site should be to promote people into using the site, not make people afraid of using the site. If just one new person does not write a geeklist because they are afraid of being embarrassed by a bad review rating then all of us here who use the site LOSE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
People will always try and manipulate ratings, but a few low ratings will always be balanced out over time as more and more people rate things.

Ultimately, I bet even the "BEST" ranked Geeklists will be high 6's or low 7's as everything settles down. I think the majority of the Geeklist ratings are going to fall in the 4 to 6 range after many people rank them so even the "Best" Geeklists won't seem so high in comparison to the 'worst'. It will just be an arbitrary way to sort them better.

Something along these lines...

Geek 1: " My Geeklist has a high rating- I've got a solid 5.1333 with 27 ratings. They like me.... they really, really like me!"

Geek 2: "Damn! Mine didnt do so well. It's only a 5.0772 with 25 ratings."

Geek 1: "It sucks to be you."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
Player Aid Ratings (and comments) needed
Still missing are ratings for player aids. Not to bust on the 1's or the uploaders of those 1's, but because if there are 10 expansion maps to "Raiders of the Mystery Caves," I want to grab the ones that others consider best first. I've uploaded "duplicate" player aids when I've felt that the current offerings aren't up to what I expected. I would hope others do the same, and with multiple "duplicate" player aids available, how are we to tell them apart? Ratings ratings ratings.

Comments would be nice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rating lists will make me more likely to start reading them again. It CUTS DOWN on the clutter when there are so many being posted by bringing the cream to the top.

The pics on the other hand? A little silly maybe, but the site is so good, I have no big complaints about the few things that don't thrill me.

Um...how about an OWNED button in Advanced Search though? THAT would thrill me. : )

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ratings are a good thing
If they allow us to search for geeklists based on these scores. There are just so many lists, sometimes it would be nice to say, "Show me geeklists that have a score above [such and such]." Just cause they're rated doesn't mean you can't keep reading all of them, but it provides another way to sort and look for more relavant lists.

just my .02
jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we have any more Clutter as people try to get there geeklists rated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratings
I think most of these things could be regulated by a Geek Gold cost. I would suggest that the geek gold people earn with their game entries, reviews, and photos should be used to purchase the Lists and Journals. New users can have one Geek List and one Geek Journal gratis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.