Commentary on game BGG-05-02, Spring 1902 move:
Austria: Army Serbia -> Greece.
Austria: Army Vienna -> Galicia.
Austria: Fleet Ionian Sea -> Naples. (*bounce, dislodged*)
Austria: Army Budapest SUPPORT Army Vienna -> Galicia.
Retreat results for Spring of 1902.
Austria: Fleet Ionian Sea -> Eastern Mediterranean.
Good move. If retreat to Eas is A/I alliance in disguise, it would have been better to bounce in Aeg, and still retreat to Eas. Turkey won't be fooled into thinking A/I are at war, given Austria's trust of the Italian army that was in Tyl.
England: Army Norway SUPPORT German Fleet Sweden -> Finland.
England: Fleet North Sea SUPPORT Fleet London -> English Channel.
England: Fleet Belgium -> Picardy.
England: Fleet Liverpool -> Irish Sea.
England: Fleet London -> English Channel.
Good move. Presumably Bel is ceded to Germany in exchange for StP, and in anticipation of capturing Bre.
France: Army Marseilles -> Burgundy.
France: Army Brest -> Paris.
France: Fleet Mid-Atlantic Ocean -> Portugal.
It would have been better to bounce in Iri then take Por in the Fall. In hindsight, Bre-Pic would have been better, but France had no way of knowing that.
Cleary, things are difficult for France. Perhaps he should offer to become someone's lackey in exchange for staying in the game. For example, his armies may be useful to England against Germany.
Bre and Bur can not be saved. France should cover Mar to prevent losing it to Italy.
Germany: Army Holland -> Belgium.
Germany: Army Munich -> Ruhr.
Germany: Fleet Sweden -> Finland.
Germany: Army Berlin -> Munich.
Germany: Army Kiel -> Denmark.
Good move. Presumably, England wants StP, but it can not now be forced unless Turkey taps Mos. But why should he - making it easier for England to threaten Mos? Turkey can try to advance armies to Ukr/Sev and take Mos for himself.
Italy: Army Apulia HOLD.
Italy: Army Tyrolia -> Piedmont.
Italy: Fleet Tunis SUPPORT Fleet Naples -> Ionian Sea.
Italy: Fleet Naples -> Ionian Sea.
Will we now see an attempted convoy to Smy or Syr? Or Eas S Ion-Aeg, with Tun-Ion? Tun-Wes is an option, but maybe Italy is better off if he focuses on Turkey rather than weakening France for little gain.
Russia: Army Galicia -> Warsaw.
Russia: Army Warsaw -> Moscow.
Russia: Fleet Sevastopol HOLD. (*dislodged*)
Russia: Fleet Gulf of Bothnia -> St Petersburg (south coast).
Defending the north while ceding territory to Austria. The stab of Turkey is severly backfiring. Russia needs a friend. Perhaps he can take advantage of conflict between Austria and Turkey.
Turkey: Army Rumania -> Sevastopol.
Turkey: Army Bulgaria -> Rumania.
Turkey: Fleet Black Sea SUPPORT Army Rumania -> Sevastopol.
Turkey: Army Ankara -> Armenia.
Turkey: Fleet Smyrna -> Aegean Sea.
Very strong move against Russia, but A/I are now a serious threat. Perhaps it's better to not hold a grudge.
The stab of Turkey is severly backfiring.
Oops - I think it was the other game where R stabbed T.
I find myself getting confused from time to time too.
I'm just worried that it'll happen during move adjudication one day ("But I didn't even have a fleet there!?!?!?")
Maybe next time, Tim,...
you can name the games, like "Nest of Vipers" or "Shark Farm." They both would be appropriate in our game!
Back in the 1980s I played in a few games GM's by a Texan fellow in a'zine called teh Lone Star Diplomat. He used to name all the games (with Texas-themed names, of course). It was a nice touch. All the games also had Boardman Custodian numbers as well.
- Austria finally takes greece. Not sure what the move to naples was trying to achieve. Im just not sure about the hidden A/I trying to spring cute moves on turkey. Unless the diplomacy is happening on the fly, austria still omitted a build last year to take the ionian which just doesnt make sense if he was anti-turkey. Having said that though the retreat east doesnt really make much sense if he is anti-italian either.
- Austria seems to lack direction at the moment. Centre powers need to keep up a good rate of growth or they just lose to the positional advantage of corner powers - he needs to pick someone and get stuck into it.
- I dont know if Austria trusted the move to tyrolia but theres certainly not the conflict around trieste / venice that one normally associated with an A/I conflict.
- Preety generous of england to give up holland and a build to germany (he gets brest but probably not st pete this year). Given that germany was picking up denmark and now gets 2 builds I think england may have been a bit too generous here.
- The attack on england is on and why not without france building. Brest falls while the western fleets move around to take spain and portugal. I guess germanys cut is paris and marseilles. England will really miss that extra army build this year though.
- Its generally best to position in the spring turn and take the centre in the fall. Here france could have tried a bounce on an english fleet and taken the centre next year. Now he's stuck in portugal with the fleet and a bounce is risky.
- He loses brest and germany forces burgandy while paris falls next year. I cant see the lackey offer being too succesful when england and germany are now fully committed to the attack. Bad luck but make them work for it france.
- Not much to say here. The interesting part for me is how much he is willing to stretch things with england and build fleet kiel (which gives him some flexability against russia but also the ability to fight england if he wants). With 2 builds this year and at least paris next year he will definately be the front runner.
- Turkey would be crazy to tap moscow (at least until he is ready to take it).
- Italy certainly has some options. He needs to take them too because he needs a couple of builds so that he is in a position to hold of the likely english incursion into the med in 2 years or so.
- He will try and scavenge marseilles but he will find it hard to hold. Austria or turkey are really the options as always. A convoy to turkey if the a/I is really on but a convoy to albania is also a possibility. As italy im just not sure i could forget the attack on the ionian so easily buy maybe there is a master plan with Austria (if there is though they better get stuck into it cos france is going down fast).
- Retreating to try and defend the home centres is not good in 1902. The fleet destruction should have been anticipated and puts him in a bit way. Sevastapol cannot be re-taken and moscow is stuck supporting st - pete. That means warsaw falls as soon as there are two enemies adjacent to it (either austria or germany) and it all falls after that.
- The best he can hope for is for Austria and Turkey to attack each other.
- I believe the turkey stab was in the other game. Turkey definiately started this one here over rumania.
- He didnt expect to take sevastapol this turn. Everything is going swimmingly except for bulg - con being open. I probably should have left sev this turn for that reason and taken it next via armenia. The convoy back to bulg is on but austria can prevent that now. If there is an A/I on Turkey will be under a lot of pressure very quickly with an austrian in bulg and an italian on the turkish mainland. Its critical for turkey to get that build this year.
Please continue this commentary. I have really enjoyed the chronicle of my demise. I hope that in the future I will be able to exceed your expectations.