Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Carassonne: The City - worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
So tell me guys: I have Carcassonne + River, and I'm really intrigued by Carcassonne: The City. Now tell me: is it worth the fairly steep price tag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot, but if I had to choose, I'd pick up the expansions for the base game over the City, especially if you are looking for more Carcassone experience.

The City has some significant differences, so if your intention is to broaden your game collection and have something different to play, it might be a better bet.

Happy Gaming,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted a rather long session report on The City if you'd like to check it out... well, I got the geek gold for it but I don't see it yet. Check it out when it pops up.

Personally, I like it quite a bit. Different enough than Carcassonne that it's it's own game (unlike Hunters and Gatherers) but it keeps the parts that make Carcassonne a good game. I can't really speak to whether or not it's worth it for you. Personally, I'd get something like Tigris & Euphrates before I got The City but I have both and I'm happy I do.

One thing that make it worth more than just the game inside: The big wood box. It's not the greatest quality by any stretch of the imagination but it looks nice and they wisely labeled it Carcassonne rather than Carcassonne: The City. I store all my Carc tiles in it and the extra bags they include seem to be for that purpose. When I go over to my friend's house I bring it instead of three boxes. In the same way playing tiles and completing cities and roads feels good, organizing and consolidating your Carcassonne games into one neat box feels good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions
I would personally pick up the first two real expansions for the main game. And I'd get King and Scout. Stay away from The Count, at least for a while.

The City has its benefits but I'm not planning on getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander King
United States
Alvin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
2-player
I too am considering the purchase of the city (I have the Carcassonne + river set as well) simply because it is a two-player game. I don't have alot of opportunities to play with other people, so my wife and I are always keen to get good 2 player games.

Anyone have any comments along this vein?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Well, I have a fairly diverse game collection, but I wasn't really looking to expand the original Carcassonne; I wanted something that felt like Carcassonne but played differently. And to a previous poster; I already have T&E (great game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Regular Carc plus the river is a pretty good two-player game. Adding the expansions makes it less fun, because it increases length by 50%. H&G solved this problem by getting back to the original, and only having 75 tiles or something like that. The City is a Frankenstein of 10 different scoring possibilities that only Knizia could have created in the spirit of giving players "more possibilities". Regular Carc is complex enough with 4 ways to score - the City takes that elegance away. Worth it for a collector maybe, or maybe a Knizia fan which I'm not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that Knizia did The Castle, not The City.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skip it
Why buy Carcassonne: The City, when Carcassonne: The Suburb is probably coming out next year? The Suburb will have better school tiles and little minivan meeples, and is going to be especially marketed to families with kids. Carcassonne: The Inner City (2006?) is also worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize you're just kidding, but I would so buy those... bad gamer, bad! It's the eurogame equivalent of owning three different editions of Monopoly. Oh, and that session report is up. I don't do them very often so I try to make it good when I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
No SUVs?
The suburbs sounds cool, as long as the minivans aren't 1998 Ford Windstars in a seafoam green color.

C:The City or Keythedral or T&E is my current tug-of-war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I've always enjoyed Carcassonne, but we only play H&G or The City now.

Is it the extra wood pieces driving us loopy? Perhaps, but it has multiple levels of strategy that all have an ability to reward equally. People can play radically different strategies and end up in a dead heat.

Contrary to other posts, there are exactly 2 new ways to score (guard and tower) that are both dead simple to figure out. Simplified tile placement seems to speed gameplay, and wall placement doesn't slow the game to the degree I would have feared it would.

It is more complex that H&G, which is arguably our favorite, but it sees a lot of play and we anticipate it won't fall off our list like the original did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The difference in in the fact that it exclude farmer in the city wich is good for people that hate them, they are still present as stewards but the payoff is a lot less and not worth it compared to guards!
Also it is nearly impossible ot overttake markets and as such it is more like a everyone builds their own area's!
The neat mechanic is the walls and that makes this game worth it!
So it really depends on what you like! I would recommend it for those who hate it when people take over cities or hate the farmers without taking to much out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.