Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Spring Cleaning; Reducing the Collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2007 retrospective: this is why I started up Iron Gamer.

I have started to notice that the games I really, really enjoy (or that my friends really, really enoy) are the ones that get pulled out often, played with lovingly, and never gather dust.

Games that I am lukewarm on, and/or my friends are lukewarm on, sit on the shelf, gather dust, and generally make storage a problem.

In an effort to clean house, as it were, I am going through my collection, creating a queue of games to play and decide on keep or trade, and trading away those that need a good home and just don't fit in around here.

I used to hoard games, and now I find that getting the right collection of games is much more satisfying.

I'll still keep trying games, of course, and trading for games I'm not sure of, and making purchases that I regret later, but I'm going to be less impulsive and more careful about what I do get.

Feel free to view my collection and/or make trades/offers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently discovered that trading away games that I don't like to try new games does not help my storage problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But you can use trades in discussions with your spouse about how you are pruning your collection.... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Foodgeek
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
You have a nice trading collection. Too bad all I have is junk to trade. heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 'office' at home was also the prospective nursery...and will be drafted into that role full-time in about a week or so. I have some plastic shelves that are heaping with games. I thought my wife would be pleased that I'm not taking up any more closet space anymore. The other day she asked me if there were any games I 'want to get rid of'.

I was incredulous. 'Want to get rid of?' Uh....no, that's why I got them. Of all the many things I own that are taking up useless space, the games are really not that big a contributor. I have at least as much cubic space of old medical texts, most of which are either from topics that I no longer refer to or have rapidly gone out of curreny favor. I have a collection of medical periodicals which are mostly obsolete. Why doesn't she ask me about getting rid of that stuff?

What she is really trying to tell me is that she thinks I have too many games, that I need to quit buying more games, and that I need to be on guard or some of my games might mysteriously disappear. Oh...I'm on guard!

Plus its time to through out those old journals so I can have empty shelf space to point to next time she brings up the topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've some possible trades going (and some sales), so right now the following games are reserved:

- King Lui
- Cartagena
- Bohnanza
- L5R lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing the same thing!
Too funny...

I've been standing in my closet evaluating my games and saying a mantra, "I guess I could get rid of this one, but that one I'm keeping" I need to pare down a bit myself and figured my game collection could as well; it's best to diet with friends.

The sad thing is...I like a couple of games more than those who will play with me most often....hence the drama in parting with those particular titles...do I keep it because I like it even though it won't get played?

It's tough, but if I evaluate my feelings ok...I guess I won't really miss the ones I give up.

Do you think it's best to part with them here, ebay, or trade 'em? I'd love for them to go to a good home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It's tough, but if I evaluate my feelings ok...I guess I won't really miss the ones I give up.

Attachments are very, very hard to break. It's even worse when a game is amazingly beautiful.

Quote:

Do you think it's best to part with them here, ebay, or trade 'em? I'd love for them to go to a good home.

I prefer to trade them with other geeks. I sell to other geeks for money when trades are not possible, and ebay is a very last resort for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'Geek is where it'll be then
All right...

When I get through the closet, I'll put 'em up here. Hopefully they'll find a wonderful home.

Do I have to take each game out to dinner and do the whole, "it's not you, it's me" bit? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
All right...

When I get through the closet, I'll put 'em up here. Hopefully they'll find a wonderful home.

It's a good hope. I figure that, eventually, they will find a good home somewhere....

Quote:
Do I have to take each game out to dinner and do the whole, "It's not you, it's me" bit? laugh

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.