John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I ordered Final Days from Kenzer & Co. from Fair Play. Got the usual good service for another game I wanted that wasn't part of their catalog....

So I get the game in the mail today, open the shrinkwrap, lift the box cover and voila! Where's the game? Here's what comes with the boxed game (retail $49.99):

* Final Days Miniatures Game Rulebook - a whopping 16 pages, all black and white (which includes one page of photocopiable "terrain" - NOT TO SCALE! It says that on the page!!!).
* Supplemental Materials Book - Another 16 page booklet (including 4 pages of photocopiable terrain - no scale comments this time). This book includes 4 whole scenarios....
* One slightly thicker than paper counter sheet for hit counters, equipment counters, etc.
* Two two-sided maps (probably about 2'X 3') in Black and White.
* 25 miniatures

No I don't want to come off as a whiner, but for $50, I would like to think I'd see a little more than that above. I don't quite consider this tantamount to SJG, but it is close in my book. The miniatures aren't bad, but I'm spoiled by Rackham's Hybrid (which, for more money) you get incredibly detailed figures, awesome modular board components, glossy rules (fair in translation, but not perfect), and limited edition special figures.

Anyway, off to read the rules and see if I like the game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't compare Final Days to Hybrid, you will hate the game before you even give it a chance. (based on shiny bits and glossy map tiles alone)

I have never played Final Days or even seen a copy of it so I went out and found some more info on the game after reading what you had to say. I agree that for $50 I would expect some color maps, counters, markers and chits, but the short rule books don't scare me at all.

I own Kenzer's Fairy Meat minis game with some of the expansion and I think they are great. The rules have depth but they are short and to the point. So if Final Days has any thing in common with Fairy Meat you will be fine.

Maybe you should say that you bought 25 minis for $2 a pop and they added some black and white maps, a rules system and counters for free. I just added this game to my wish list so I hope to see some more info for this game here on BGG.

I do know for sure that Final Days uses regular playing cards instead of dice to decide combat and what not, Fairy Meat does the same thing. See they do have something in common.

Play 'em if you got 'em
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game listing has no pictures of the game's contents. you should add them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The game listing has no pictures of the game's contents. you should add them.

They aren't my photos so just follow the link to the official product page
http://www.kenzerco.com/final_days/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Components
I doubt that they can produce it for a much cheaper MSRP due to limited print run size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.