Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: OT: LOST - Warning Includes Spoilers! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SO I noticed we didnt have our weekly LOST journal - not surprising considering all the other hot topics here today, but I wanted to get my LOST fix in.

1st off... GREAT episode. I love the continuing depth that is being added to the characters. Some of the high points:

Hurley and the Korean man, Jin. That was absolutely hilarious. "PEE ON MY FOOT! YOU HAVE TO PEE (reaching and pointing) ON MY FOOT!"

Kate with the Korean woman Sun was a great scene too. I was wondering how they were going to let it slip that she knew English.

It was interesting to see Boone in the police station as Sawyer was brought in too. I wonder if everyone on the plane is going to have some kind of connection to someone else? Remember when Jin and Sun were at the airport while Jack was trying to get his father's body on board the plane? And what about the relationship between Boone and Shannon!!! Holy Cow, never saw that one coming!

I was blown away by the death of Shannon. I had heard that a major character would die but I didnt expect it to be her. The resolution of this event was an even better twist.

Jack and Charlie's conversation about Boone was interesting as well. It's obvious that many see Boone as a threat when in fact he appears to be one of the few who understands what is going on.

Im beginning to question if the monster is even real at this point or just a hallucination that you must conquer. If that is true, did Jack and Kate really witness the death of the Pilot?

Your comments and thoughts are anxiously awaited...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dean
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Re: Lost
Quote:
Jack and Charlie's conversation about Boone was interesting as well. It's obvious that many see Boone as a threat when in fact he appears to be one of the few who understands what is going on.

I think you mean Locke here not Boone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

I think you mean Locke here not Boone!

Yep. You are right, I did mean Locke. I'm still not sure of all the names - even after all this time. I think it's partly because you don't see all of them every week like on normal shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark H
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Shannon didnt die
Boone was hallucinating/Dreaming that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gripping Episode
I usually pick one show per season to watch regularly. This year I went with The Lost because I had enjoyed the creator's previous show (Alias) for the first season or so. It looks like I chose well. I'm finding the flashback scenes very compelling. This episode's flashback with the brother and sister was creepy as can be, but strangely compelling. I, too, bought into the death of the sister, though I suppose I should have known better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The revalation of the hallucination sequence annoyed me. Is every quasi-major character going to live from now on? Lame.

Best part was Hurley, with "Through the lips, over the gums, yadda yadda, Oh God..." Great stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The "it was all a dream" plot twist is the most hack move possible. I thought good writers knew better than that. And these are good writers, but if they pull that again, I'm bailing.

So, now we know that Boone and Shannon are not really siblings. I think it's cool how they are making sure to have at least one little bombshell per episode, even if it isn't always the one you want (WHAT'S BEYOND THE HATCH?). It reminds me of Buffy.

This show is going to have kind of a Gilligan's Island problem. Not that they can't leave the island, but the whole point of the show is these mysteries. If they blow their wad and tell you what's up, there's no more show.

Does it bother anyone else that they have just sort of forgotten about Claire? It's like they just moved on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NOClaire
Yes, they seem to have disposed of Claire nicely. Aren't there enough plane passengers with testosterone to band together and get to the bottom of some of this stuff? Shannon's return from the (dream) dead was a tad disappointing. The spontaneity of the program seems to be slipping. I cannot help but reflect that if the writers/producers do not provide some answers to give the viewer a sense of resolution and at least marginal progress, they will begin losing viewers in another episode or two. The past two have been disappointing in their conventionality. In addition to the lack of curiosity regarding Claire, I'm surprised that no one else has wanted to go visit The French Woman, either out of humanitarian concern or survivalist curiosity. Two weeks on the island, they've planted a garden, had a passenger violently abducted, and people don't truse each other enough to hold a town meeting to report on polar bears, metal hatches, the fact that there's now a four-pistol arsenal available, or the need to expand the hunting and gathering territory. Are people really this passive these days, or are we thinking strategically because we're gamers? Okay, enough already. I'll still tune in next week.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Yep, dream sequence was weak
This show seems to have great writers who just haven't quite reached really great yet. The back stories and characters are well crafted and intriguing. But the main story line is moving so slowly, and we've now had two main character die .....and then....hey surprise!... they aren't realy dead.

You need to move the story forward a bit more. I hope they have a final conclusion in mind, and won't wind it endlessly.

Of course nobody makes me watch it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boone and Shannon are related
Shannon is his half sister. They are related.

The drug Locke gives him brings out his deep desires. The only thing that can truly be held to be true events with them are the boyfriend and Boone flying into Australia to 'save' her. The Incest was part of the hallucenation and may just be a deep seated desire, but it may have happened.

The show is dealing with a lot of control issues with the characters and with their character flaws. I still think they are in purgatory based upon Rose's speech in an earlier episode.

Locke is on the spirit walk and understands that they all are and that they have issues to deal with; which is why he forces Boone to deal with his.

If they are in a purgatory state, then the death/ressurection bits make since as they can not die, but must work through their issues. If that's the case, and it may not be, then each death is a new step forward to them and the group. They won't disappear until they overcome their past issues.

I still think the monster is real. I also thought, during the last episode, that it may be....well, I actually thought it might be the Devil for some reason, but I can't give any reason as to why.

I kind of hope that they aren't in purgatory, that this isn't a good/evil black and white issue with the baby, but we have to see.

Ok, I've a question about Boone, what's his first name? I'm wondering if we have Daniel Boone in the making here as he's starting to go wilding with Locke. I still think Swayer is a Tom Swayer character and the loveable bad boy in the making.

the 3 philosphers (as noted by goo in earlier postings...or was it Gola?) is still holding sway with me.

Locke's one black eye/one white eye in the pregnant girl's dream is still important as is the status of his spirit walk and faith in what he knows being the source of his walking ability; he lost that when the first boar charged them and he wasn't able to move his legs again.

The little boy with his dog has luck on his side in my mind and will play a bigger role in future episodes by my take. He may see a truth quicker than everyone else.

I'm wondering who the Korean guy is and what he represents. I don't even know his name at this point, but he will be brought to the foreground soon.

Done rambling. I'm having fun with the show and I just like coming up with all kinds of varying theories for it. I enjoy the freeroaming/free-association that my mind goes through as I absorb it in.

laugh man, that's a lot of rambling on my part. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, the hatch! I forgot.
Does anyone else wonder if it might be Amelia Earhart's missing plane?

The thought struck me during the show....no reason why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shannon and Boone are not related
Just to clarify: Shannon and Boone are NOT related. She isn't his half-sister she is his step-sister. This makes a huge difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
If I recall, Boone and Boone's sister are step-siblings (not half-siblings). The Australian cop pointedly said "no blood relation" or something like that. Still, it was creepy.

I was also mad that she didn't really bite it. Plus, no mention of games even though Locke got lots of screen time. But I liked the hatch and the compass business and I'm a sucker for the Hurley jokes, so overall I give the episode a thumbs up.

spoiler from the "scenes from next week":

Next week heralds the return of one of my favorite characters: the polar bear. Yippee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhenke, the thing Locke put on Boone's head was antibiotic. As he put it on he said that an untreated wound would get infected. So the incest thing was a flashback, not hallucination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Boone *is* his first name. His last name was given at the police station when he was filing the report. He and Shannon have different last names.

Is it just me, or did none of the survivors want that plane to land?

Locke - Didn't want to go back to being a crippled collections supervisor.
Charlie - Didn't want to go back addicted to heroin without the band
Kate - Didn't want to go to jail
Jack - Didn't want to deal with the guilt over his "betrayal" of his father that was probably never resolved before his father's death
Sayyid - Still tormented over his past as an "interrogator"?
Sun - Trapped with Jin
Jin - (wild speculation) Fleeing Sun's father's crime syndicate/feeling guilty over cutting Sun off from her Father? I think he speaks English also, but hides it better. I know he only said "No" to Hurley, but he indicates a much deeper understanding of what people are communicating to him than I think he should.
Claire - Doesn't really want to give up her baby.
Father/Son (Names escape me at the moment) - Scared of having to be a father/doesn't want to be with this guy he doesn't know
Sawyer - Doesn't want to face the fact that he became the thing he hated most.

Locke is obviously being set up to be the bad guy, which means he probably isn't. He was the last person to "see" Lostzilla (the monster) outside of a dream sequence. He also just "happened" to find the hatch. I think he knows how to open it, and has opened it, but that there's some sort of zen-thing to opening it, and he'll lead the others to it, one by one. He understands the island, and he's saving the others one at a time. Charlie is an incomplete save right now.

I think the island, purgatory or not, has a way of giving everybody their deep seated fears or desires. Look at the people who have found their posessions unbroken. Dad's bag, Charlie's guitar, The Kid's dog, Kate's little toy airplane, Locke's knives. Sayyid finding the source of the broadcast, and someone to punish him for the tortures he's performed. Claire "finding" someone to threaten her baby. Charlie losing someone he cares for.

I think Locke, by giving Boone the mystic paste, allowed Boone to understand his deepest desire, which will help him let it go, before it manifests itself and Shannon gets killed. That's why he said, "Are you ready to let it go?" to Boone after all was revealed at the end of the episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well crap, I missed half the episode again. I'll have to watch them over again when the DVDs come out.

2 things though...
1) I had the impression the island itself caused the hallucination. I may have missed the scene where a drug-paste was given.

2) The robot-dinosaur sounded EXACTLY like Godzilla in a few scenes.

At this point, I'm about out of theories and just enjoying the story unfolding. I agree that it seems odd for them not to form a hunting party and go try to find/free Claire or at least punish the abductor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Addison
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OT to the OT
I have never seen so many pretty people make the act of drinking out of a bottle of water look so cool!

Now if we could just convince the kiddies this is much more vogue than lighting up a coffin nail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Wolfe
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this show! My latest theory is that it has to do with the idea of free will, and that will being strong enough to bring down a plane. Somebody mentioned that a whole list of people didn't want the plane to land -- so I think they willed the plane down.

And here's an interesting quote I found on a wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will):

"The philosopher John Locke took the view that determinism [the idea that the past alone determines the future] was irrelevant. He believed, however, the defining feature of free will to be that we are free so long as we have the ability to postpone a decision long enough to reflect upon the consequences of a choice."

Notice how, on the show, Locke is always asking "have you thought about the consequences?" Plus, this free will idea still ties in with my early Garden of Eden theory, via the whole original sin issue.

The more I think about it, the more I can relate the seven deadly sins to various characters on the show (pride, avarice/greed, envy, wrath/anger, lust, gluttony, sloth) -- although to be fair, you could take any conflict between any two characters on any show and probably apply at least one of these to them...

The PEE ON MY FOOT! thing was just hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, I had it wrong. :)
Quote:
Just to clarify: Shannon and Boone are NOT related. She isn't his half-sister she is his step-sister. This makes a huge difference.

You are absolutely right! I forog the cop bit mentioned below. My bad. :o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Best part was Hurley, with "Through the lips, over the gums, yadda yadda, Oh God..." Great stuff.

Through the lips, over the gums, watch out stomach here it comes... I think HURLEY used to be a bit of a drinker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant above!
laugh

I meant the cop bit and blood relations mentioned above.

The paste though, was a hallucenatory drug...Locke tells Boone that after it's over and Boone attacks him. I didn't read into that line at least.

It's just a fun show to speculate about. It's so 'open' ended right now, that it's fun to spin off theories.

and Stuey is very smart!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...nor am I going to research all of my theories...but here are my thoughts..

...as for the 'monster' and the 'hatch'...my intellectually limited thoughts are...the monster...is the grim reaper...he came to collect the pilot, whose time was up...he didn't eat the pilot, just extinguished his life...the hatch...well...that is the exit...just like in...what was that Terry Goodkind novel...where Richard was trapped in some place...and all he really had to do was walk through that door...anyway...the door...that is the exit from what is preventing them from seeing what is really happening...for example...if/when they open the hatch (which might be an airplane emergency exit door)...would they see the interior of their plane in the midst of crashing...???

...and have you noticed that the monster doesn't really show up too often...???...and nobody really cares about finding Claire...and why hasn't Rousseau found the survivors...???...she's been on the island for 16 years...I'm sure she knows it pretty well by now...or...just as in some kind of dream state...do you just move on with the next challenge/thought and not really dwell on what has happened...but rather what will...???

...I wish I were smarter....cool

Stu

Hmmmm.... very interesting theories. So maybe this entire thing is happening in the blink of an eye and when the show eventually ends (the series finale) it will culminate with the actual plane crash occuring (or being averted??). There are so many possibilities as to what is really going on that it's mind boggling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Richards
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Theory
OK, here is my theory about the island:

The island is a giant mechanical island with set parameters. For instance, Locke knows exactly when it is going to rain because it happens at the same time every day. That much metal could also make it so the compass does not work. The monstor also sounds very mechanical. The hatch that they found leads to the interior of the island where the island is controlled. Locke is the only person clued in on what the island is, or at least he thinks he is.

The interior is also where the other civilization (the one that kidnapped Claire) lives. They have forgotten how to control the island and so must live in the interior (underground) so the island does not kill them too.

So why is the island mechanical? I don't know. Maybe a WWII experiment gone awry. Or a new government experiment and the cast aways are guinea pigs.

My theory obviously does not explain all the mysteries of the island, and it is probably wrong, but it is fun trying to figure out the mysteries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important thing is...
The most important thing in LOST is the fact that Locke is a G-A-M-E-R! If anyone would be in tune with new, strange situations and adapting to new "rules" it would be ONE OF US. Hoo-Ha!

Jack devil

PS: If Locke knew about the guns, Claire would have been rescued by now.

"You don't play that many games of M44 without knowing a little something about courage."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dean
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Quote:
For instance, Locke knows exactly when it is going to rain because it happens at the same time every day.

Then wouldn't ALL the survivors, not just Locke, know exactly when its going to rain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.