Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: How close are these? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like most people, there are always more intruiging games to be bought than I have time and money for. In recent years, there have been a bunch of games which have garnered a lot of praise, but I thought they were too "similar" to titles I already owned. Maybe it's because I have read reviews which make it seem like the new game borrows so much from other games ("it's just like Puerto Rico mixed with Starfarers").

Of course, this actually doesn't mean it's a bad game. But it made me feel I had "done that already". I have wondered sometimes if the resemblance might have just been a superficial thing, and that I have missed out. My own taste in games is heavily based on "theme", so that may have also influenced my perceptions (might be the same theme, but really different game feel).

Anyway, I wanted to see how similar or different people perceive the following games to be ...

1. Even though everyone says Ticket to Ride is great, I have resisted getting it because I have Union Pacific. Hey, the board looks similar and it's Alan Moon again, but does it have a different game dynamic?

2. What about Power Grid for another game which looks superfically like the same map?

3. I didn't get Goa because it sounds sort of like Puerto Rico -- okay colony management. But is it really alike when you strip the veneer away?

4. Another angle on PR is constructing buildings. How different is St. Petersburg? or Chinatown?

5. And you get your own board to build up like Princes of Florence -- any similarity in feel there?

6. I have La Citta. Does Attika play similarly?

Please don't get wrong. I am not saying anything bad about the games I don't (currently) have. But I do want to understand how they are different experience to guide my purchasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've only played a couple, and only have insights into a couple of games, but here are my opinions
1. Neither UP or TtR are train games, but rather are other types of games with train themes. UP is a stock game with a train theme, and TtR is a rummy game with a train theme. Other than the attached themes and common desinger, the games are nothing alike.

2. Power Grid is about auctions, resource management, and commoditites.. but I'm unsure to which game you are comparing it.

6. Attika and La Citta are entirely different. La Citta is about developing a city and making the people happy. Attika is about building buildings efficiently, even though they are coming to you semi-randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
PoF and the board...
..makes it seem like it may be similar (to PR?). It is a VERY different experience. PoF incorporates an auction and I think that after the auction is over, there is little player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa/PR
Goa and PR are very different from my perspecive. I have both and play both.

PR offers you more opportunities to mess with another's stratagies. You can look at their board of the player(s) after you and can decide which role to choose to benefit you and not them. Also the game is pretty linear in PR and the critical shift from production to VP acquision takes some thought. I found PRs rules simple and to the point.

Goa OTOH offers more player interaction through the auction. You pay your opponents for tiles they offer for auction thereby fueling their purchasing power to your own benefit. There is never a shift and your goal is always fixed on VP acquision in GOA but there is no sudden end to the game. It has a set number of turns and your efficiency in making each turn yield points is critical. Goa's rules can be a bit fiddly but there's SO MUCH you can do and so many different ways to develop the game can be a bit overwhelming in your choices.

Both are good games, and well presented. Don't let the plantation/buisness management theme fool you, these games provide very different gaming experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Andrews
United States
Birmingham
Michigan
flag msg tools
Ted,

I had a similar feeling regarding UP/Ticket to Ride and avoided TtR for a long time. I shouldn't have. Although I can see UP in TtR, there is little similarity in strategy, though UP players will feel very at home with the mechanics of TtR (and not just because they're far simpler...).

I also had the same feeling about PoF vs. PR. Although similar in "weight," the mechanics and gameplay are much, much different. They're both tremendous games with great bits and lots of moving parts.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
similar games
Out of the games you listed, I have not played Chinatown or La Citta. Among the others, the games that I would consider vaguely similar to each other are Princes of Florence, Goa, and Power Grid.

TtR and UP are very different. PR, Goa, and StP are very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid vs. what
Folks,

I should have been more clear. I was comparing Power Grid to the TtR and UP. Perhaps I am just taken in by superficial board appearance of the Continental US, but I get the feeling that you trying to build a network whether rail or power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.