Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: expansions expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that really irritates me currently is the large number of games that later bring out expansions..and sometimes expansions on the expansions..

This is exactly what drove me away from CCG hell.. I am a compulsive collector. I love board games partly because instead of CCG, when I bought a game I felt assured that I had bought the complete package. Of course, many companies try to pass it off as 'enhancing the game', but I find it a little off-putting..

I for one ain't gonna buy ANY MORE EXPANSIONS..

the expansions I've bought haven't hardly enhanced my games at all, as the majority of them don't get played to make it worth my while getting em..

any other thoughts?

wiz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Un-played?
So what are the reasons that they are unplayed?

I buy the expansions for games that I like, if they add value. Usually even if it is just a little value. But I have avoided some of them.

If you are a collector, then I think you are stuck. You either buy the expansion, or your set is incomplete. Then the game goes OOP and your are really stuck. (If you are a collector).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark coomey
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Usually I want to play the base game enough times that we are both familiar with it, and then perhaps move one. However, usually two things happen:

1) a new player plays the game with my group, in which case we think it's only fair that we play the base game, as expansions usually add more complications/rules

2)Usually there are new games that my group would rather try!

Here are just some of the games I've added expansions to:

settlers of catan..all number of expansions, PLUS expansions for more players which made the game too long IMO. The least that got played was cities and knights..it was just so different and much more complicated.

lord of the rings...friends and foes, and sauron. Sauron wasn't popular as it pulled apart the basic mechanic of playing against the game..although I liked it.

El Grande..I got the expansion to this cause EG is one of my favourite games, however it hasn't been played yet!

ElfenGold expansion to elfenland..I have played before and loved it.

Game of thrones...clash of kings expansion..I liked the expansion to this as you can actually mix n match what expansion pieces/mechanics you want to include..a nice touch

Canyon..Grand Canyon..never gets played although I heard GC makes the game much better than the base.

Bang! + the 2 expansions..doesn't get played much

Age of Steam..Expansion number 1..Unplayed..and I think I won't get expansion number 2 until I play number one first..

blue moon+all expansions. What started out as a cheap card game then suddenly becomes expensive if ya start buying all the different races..sheesh

So as you can see, from my perspective, I think I'm just gonna hold off these pesky 'enhanced expansions'..the only thing they seem to enhance is the games companies wallets by seeing how much money they can squeeze out of ya for a game..

wiz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that a lot of game companies are "out to get your money"... it kind of implies that people who work game companies are little more than con artists.

There are much, much better ways to get money from people. As a way to get rich, one of the very last things I would do is run a game company that *didn't* pump out a large number of addictive CCGs---as opposed to, say, one Carcasonne expansion per year.

The amount of money that quite a lot of people (more than those who buy anything that looks like a Eurogame) spend on CCGs---something like over $100 per person a month is not amiss---far dwarfs the relatively few expansions that you got at a 30% discount online.

Even when I was a college student I would dip at least $50 on MTG per month, just to stay current. And that was just on *one* CCG. I'm not even going to talk about my widespread addiction to other CCGs when I had a stipend of less than $1000 a month... one of my first attractions to the Real World was the thought that I was going to get enough money to buy three booster *boxes* a month.

Just think. How much would a relatively "normal" gamer spend on MTG? Fine... now, how much would a gamer spend on on Blue Moon? If the gamer proceeded to buy all the Blue Moon expansions, which are spaced out on a schedule similar to a CCG but at a much lower price point---how much is he or she spending as opposed to, oh, say they were addicted to Lord of the Rings CCG or something.

For the most part, you have to love games rather than money to run a games shop. The idea that running a game company is a way get oodles of money from people is as amusing as tthe belief that writing is a reliable way to become a millionare....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep
I recently did a list on this very subject. Feel free to add.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot agree
Expansions to board games are nothing like CCGs. I don't need to buy Carcassonne expansions to compete. The expansions don't have scaled rarity nor the requirement to continue buying or trade in order to complete a set.

Most of the expansions to board games add good variations. There are a few that are bad, but IMO, they are the minority.

I love expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get this
argument. Who is pressuring us to buy these expansions? They are certainly not required to play the base game. And by your own admission, you actually like a few of them. Buy what you like, don't buy what you don't.

I have Bohnanza and like it just fine. I know there are a bunch of expansions for it, but I've never felt the urge to go out and get them. I have Carcassonne and have played it to the point that I would like to add an expansion or two, so I'm going to try to prolong the game life.

To each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a problem
We have only a few games that have expansions -- Bohnanza, Carcassonne, Hunters and Gatherers, Settlers of Catan -- and we have bought some of the expansions and avoided others whose descriptions didn't appeal to us. We had to buy the 5-6 expansion to play Settlers in our group, so that was a no-brainer. We played each expansion a couple of times, and decided to drop two of them, but we enjoy the others. From our perspective, the cost for these expansions is relatively low, so the risk is small. Also, if an expansion (or even the original game) appears to play better with an in-house tweak of the rules, we are not averse to doing that; that sometimes makes a good game/expansion even better.

Oh, yes, I have a collection of M:tG cards, but I've got better uses for my money these days than trying to keep up with that game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thompson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure whats wrong
I also have to admit that I quite like expansions. They can really add to some games making good games great, etc. I just don't go out and buy every expansion that comes out. Some are definitely terrible, and sometimes the base game wasn't very good so why bother, but expansions are for those people that want more. There are lots of us out there. The great thing about board games is that they are not needed. Truthfully though, I play Magic, and I havn't bought anything new in a couple years. I still enjoy the game and am competitive with what I have. I suppose I can see how some expansions seem pretty pointless, but many of them are great. There are games that I own that I HOPE have expansions coming. I guess my only advice is to not give into the temptation unless you have a good idea of what youa are getting into. They aren't needed to sustain the games they expand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experiences with expansions...
Quote:

Usually I want to play the base game enough times that we are both familiar with it, and then perhaps move one. However, usually two things happen:

1) a new player plays the game with my group, in which case we think it's only fair that we play the base game, as expansions usually add more complications/rules

2)Usually there are new games that my group would rather try!

Here are just some of the games I've added expansions to:

settlers of catan..all number of expansions, PLUS expansions for more players which made the game too long IMO. The least that got played was cities and knights..it was just so different and much more complicated.

lord of the rings...friends and foes, and sauron. Sauron wasn't popular as it pulled apart the basic mechanic of playing against the game..although I liked it.

El Grande..I got the expansion to this cause EG is one of my favourite games, however it hasn't been played yet!

ElfenGold expansion to elfenland..I have played before and loved it.

Game of thrones...clash of kings expansion..I liked the expansion to this as you can actually mix n match what expansion pieces/mechanics you want to include..a nice touch

Canyon..Grand Canyon..never gets played although I heard GC makes the game much better than the base.

Bang! + the 2 expansions..doesn't get played much

Age of Steam..Expansion number 1..Unplayed..and I think I won't get expansion number 2 until I play number one first..

blue moon+all expansions. What started out as a cheap card game then suddenly becomes expensive if ya start buying all the different races..sheesh

So as you can see, from my perspective, I think I'm just gonna hold off these pesky 'enhanced expansions'..the only thing they seem to enhance is the games companies wallets by seeing how much money they can squeeze out of ya for a game..

wiz

Here are my experiences with the expansions you've listed.

Settlers of Catan:
Seafarers: Didnt really add much, just made the game longer.
Cities & Knights: Significantly made the game better in my opinion. This may be due to the fact that I was completely burnt out on regular Settlers, but none the less it adds a whole new element to the game and many more paths to victory.

Lord of the Rings:
Friends and Foes: Love the addition of more to do and another two areas to encounter. Injects more characters from the books.
Sauron: Only played once, but was fun and allowed a 6th player. Also the forces of evil were much harder to defeat as they were human controlled instead on by the game.

El Grande:
Grandissimo: Nice expansion that has many elements that you can pick and choose to add into your games. I like the Queen and Jail features as well as Portugal.
Inrigue and the King: Drastically changes the game but still has a lot of the original feel. This expansion is for people already well versed in El Grande strategy and tactics as you select your whole hand prior to starting the game.
Grand Inquisitor and the Colonies: 4 new regions, 2 new stacks to pick from and the Grand Inquisitor. This is my favorite of the expansions. It adds a lot, but still keeps the original feel to the game. Less likely that the last player will get screwed from the card selection too.

Canyon:
Grand Canyon: We never play Canyon without this expansion. It has the effect of balancing the game as the players falling behind get the best choice of abilities and the lead player often gets something that can't help him. If this game is ever reperinted, this should be a standard component.

BANG!
High Noon: Simply a beginning of turn effect that changes for some variety. We enjoy it.
Dodge City: New characters and cards to play. Expands the game to 8. Lots of fun with the new characters as many interesting things can happen.

I also enjoy these other expansions:

Carcassone:
The Expansion, Traders and Builders and The Count of Carcassone.

Cosmic Encounter (Mayfair):
More Cosmic Encounter.

Twilight Imperium (1st Edition):
Borderlands, Distant Suns and The Outer Rim.

Duel of Ages:
Intensity and Vast Horizons.

Settlers Card Game Expansions.

I like expansions if they add something to the gameplay and give me some new ways to inject life into a game I may not play as often anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.