Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Flint MI Gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Andy (BGG: Yooper) and I hooked up over a year ago through one of his newspaper columns that made a nostaglic reference to the Avalon Hill games of his youth and lamenting the current difficulty in finding opponents interested in such games. I contacted him and a great friendship has blossomed. We've gathered a few friends to join us, but we have both expressed interest in starting a regular gaming group that can attract newcomers.

My wife and I struck up the acquaintance of a local hobby store owner, David, and convinced him to offer us the use of his store for a game night. David agreed and we tried to pull something off in mid-December, but it was pretty much only Andy and me (and his son and my wife). We did get to introduce David and his wife Connie to Ticket to Ride, though.

The agreed upon meeting date was selected as the second Friday of each month, which was last night. Each of us had at least mentioned the gathering to some gaming friends (I even sent out messages to games in the BGG database within a reasonable distance). Andy had made another brief mention of the gathering in his column and Mike (BGG: mpetty31) of nearby Lapeer contacted Andy and expressed interest. We weren't sure how many to expect, but at least Andy and I would have fun.

Well, it turns out that David and Connie may be really hooked! Connie recruited two friends (one of whom brought her husband and daughter). One of Andy's gaming friends, Barry, and one of my friends, Scott (BGG: qzhdad), as well as Mike showed up. With David, Connie, and Sam (Andy's son, age 10?), we had a good turnout (Jeanette, my wife, wasn't felling well and was unable to participate).

The evening started a wild introduction to Perpetual Commotion, a pretty chaotic card game. After a couple hands of that game to break the ice among everyone, we moved into some meatier games. Hannah, Tricia, Bob (the Ojedas) joined Michele in wanting to learn Ticket to Ride (at Connie's insistence) so I broke that out and played that with them. It was a big hit, adding to that game's reputation as a great gateway game. Hannah demanded to buy a copy and Connie was sure that she had at least one remaining, but couldn't find it. Turns out that Barry had beaten everyone to the punch and grabbed the last copy on his way into the store (Barry had played the game previously with Andy and me). David is under orders to get additional copies.

Mike, a game designer with a loose affiliation with Fair Play Games, introduced the others to Zendo and High Society (I'll have to have the others comment upon those games).

Several players had to then leave, leaving six of us so we broke out Carcasonne (including the Expansion and Inns and Cathedrals). I'm only used to playing with my wife, so having six players was a wonderfully different game. Sam stomped us pretty good, and when combined with his win in High Society, made him the MVP of the evening.

A great way to spend six hours on a Friday night. The next scheduled gathering of GAGA (Genesee Area Gaming Association) is February 11 at the Grand Blanc Hobbytown USA (810.695.9088). If you are in the area, please consider joining us. Contact me if you have any questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy! There will be a prototype play-testing session at that very Hobbytown in Grand Blanc on January 29th from 10 AM to 6 PM. Contact me or Mike Petty (mpetty31) for more details if you're interested in playing a few prototypes. I'll also keep the 11th in mind as a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Rapids Game Day is January 29
Title pretty much sums it up. The Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers will be hosting an open game day on January 29, from noon until midnight. We've had several folks from the east side of the state come to previous game days, and we'd love to have as many of the GAGA's come on down as possible. For more info, check our website, http://gameday.grgames.com/

Please pass this info on to others in your group!
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.