Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Geekgold Suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many Geeks have been concerned about how many of the game entries are wrong or incomplete in the database. I dont know how many would stop now to click on a link to fix an error they spotted unless maybe it was a game they really cared about.

Perhaps if 1 Geekgold were awarded for spotting and submitting legitimate errors, we'd get more people interested in fixing those errors and omissions in the system. This would be a way for those that dont want to write reviews or take pictures to earn GG.

Good suggestion or is this idea as useful as another version of Monopoly (Square Pants Sponge Bob Edition)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
lets UP it to at least '2' GG
Well, let's give 'em some MORE incentive and I've been tempted to do this TOO in order to expand upon what are some very incomplete descriptions, or too terse to give a better idea of them. It don't have to be 3 or 4 paragraphs but more than just "there's '5' dice and you roll them" for Yahtzee or the like.
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I've come across some that need the Category,
Mechanics and number of players edited as well as the summaries. I think this is a great idea to provide some incentive for doing this....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that people could then intentionally leave out (or put in incorrect) data about the game (like the year released or the designer), and then upload the correct info later in order to squeeze a few more shekels out of the GeekGold vault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
yuppa
so maybe DEDUCT it from the 'one' that put IN the lousy entry in order to penalize whomever since they's just being LAZY in the first place? The final judgement could either BE made by the 'admins' OR have them POLL'd OR even RATED! hmmmm, let me look up "GO"... "a... board... with... pieces... that... you... move... to... WIN... or... LOSE... then... 'GO'... again!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Wechner
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea
I'll second that.

Alas, it would add to the admins burden processing all the change requsts. Recommend further that Admins delegate the role of content admin to any people who:

1) they believe are capable and trustworthy
2) want the job

The work of approving new game entries and changes can fall upon those people, leaving the current admins to focus on system rather than content issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Ross
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Well, let's give 'em some MORE incentive and I've been tempted to do this TOO in order to expand upon what are some very incomplete descriptions, or too terse to give a better idea of them. It don't have to be 3 or 4 paragraphs but more than just "there's '5' dice and you roll them" for Yahtzee or the like.

Actually, I tend to get annoyed by summaries that are too long. A summary should be an abstract, not a review. If I want a review, I'll scroll down and get a review. I like the Related Statistics to start above the fold... I don't like scrolling down just to see the rating or click on the Personal Comments.

For example, Bang! has too detailed a summary for me (and it's far from the longest I've seen, but it's not very well formatted either, and so it makes up a bit in being harder to read). It's clearly a review... it's lists the phases and is filled with all kinds of detailed examples of cards and powers and everything. All I want is enough summary to see if I want to go on to a review... I don't want to wade through a review to do that.

However, you're right that some are too short. But I don't think any of them should be 3 or 4 paragraphs... one decent one should be good enough for a summary (theme, a few general comments on how it plays, done).

As for offering a bounty on mistakes... that might be one way to start correcting some of the problems with Category and Mechanic categorization. However, it'll probably end up being too much work to administer... as the differences in opinion that caused some of the odd categorizations will just result in the same ones being reported again and again (regardless of which way you set it... for example, TtR is a ppartently a "Point to Point Movement game" in at least one person's opinion (however, I can't see how that applies at all)). The administrators might be spammed with a lot of people gambling on thin technicalities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.