Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: When is a new game not a new game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
In April 2005 (fingers crossed, knock on wood) FFG will publish Arkham Horror. The original version of the this game has been out of print for many, many years. But the FFG version will be more than just a reprint. It will be a revision of the original game.

According to FFG Game developer Kevin Wilson:

Quote:
I should probably point out that if you have the 1st edition of Arkham Horror, it's still going to be collectible. Don't go ditching it on eBay on our account. The new edition of Arkham Horror will have some substantial mechanical updates, but will retain its core feel. I'm still a bit too early in development to start giving out much information, but I can drop three large tidbits that I'm confident won't change.

1. There will be 16 unique characters in the new edition, each with unique abilities and starting gear. This will include the original 8 characters (all updated with shiny new abilities) and 8 new characters.
2. The "Powers" in the old edition will be referred to now as "Ancient Ones" for consistency within FFG Call of Cthulhu products. They will work very differently from how they used to, and there will be 8 of them. I'll just say that the way they work now is kind of like having 8 different games in one box.
3. There will be no roll-and-move mechanic. In fact, several elements of the game will allow more decisions, using an innovative new system that I don't believe has been seen in an adventure board game before. The map itself is changing to appear more like the Arkham seen in Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu materials, and as for moving monsters through the streets, well, let's just say that's going to be different as well.

The game is coming together nicely, and I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised by the new edition - and not just because of the gorgeous artwork we're slathering all over it like some sort of weird strawberry jelly shoggoth.

So my question is: Should the new version of Arkham Horror (FFG version) be considered a "new" game in the BGG database?

I think the game will be different enough to warrant a new entry in the database. If I owned both versions of the game (and I will), I would want to list both games in my BGG collection: the original version and the revised version.

What say the rest of you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kimball
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Axis & Allies got a new entry for the third edition. I would think this would too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is very easily yes. What I don't get is how it's going to be collectible. What's there to collect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What I don't get is how it's going to be collectible. What's there to collect?

I think what he's saying is that because the new game is so different, the old game will maintain its value to boardgame collectors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.