Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Horror Games Better than BatHotH rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
As a tangent to a Betrayal (...) discussion, I'm interested in games that use a similar concept but have better quality. The only one that springs to mind is Arkham Horror, which conveniently is getting a reprint this year.

Arkham Horror has always been spoken of fondly when I see it spoken of, but I'm wondering if criticism of it is dampened by lack of availability so that those who have it, love it, and those who would be naysayers are never given the opportunity to encounter it. I've heard word that the new version will be somewhat modified, anyone know what this means?

But this is an open ended discussion (that might very well be better suited for a geeklist, hush). Are there other games in this style that are done well and should be played in lieu of the trainwreck that is Betrayal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Geeklists
Here's a good place to start:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

I think comments about Arkham Horror are partly due to availability, and partly due to nostalgia. I actually liked Betrayal, but I do very much understand the criticisms. I can also only tolerate it in small and sporadic doses. But it's fun in a pseudo-RPG sort of way, with campy acting and commentary from the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Arkham Horror
I've never played, or even seen, the original - but there is not game I am looking forward to more than this one. From what I have been able to gather, Fantasy Flight is reworking the game a bit - so it won't simply be a reprint. It looks like, in some respects at least, it will be a new game.

Very exciting for fans of both Lovecraft and board games!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B
United Kingdom
cheshire
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula
For atmosphere and great team play, Fury of Dracula is the master! Also Chill: Black Born manor-very similar to Betrayal. There does seem to be a lack of genuinly good horror games though. Most go for 'comic' slash and hack, rather than genuine atmospheric terror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.