Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Another rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some games that my wife might like. She's not a "gamer" and only enjoys a few games. As a matter of fact, I've made a list of the top 10 reasons she won't play a game, including no more than four pages of rules, no noisy bell et al. Her favorite games are Lost Cities, Can't Stop and Bohnanza. I usually win more than my share but she still likes to play.

With that in mind, I'm looking for any suggestions on games (two player best, but I'm open for any suggestions) that she might like. Here is some information that I've been able to put together in over twenty years of observation:

She loves solitaire on the computer and will play many different variations. I think this is why she likes Lost Cities - the interaction is minimal, really no direct competition, likes card play in general, and no deep strategy (forget about long range planning).

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife really enjoys Odin's Ravens. It's not too complicated and she really likes the card aspect of it. If you want to shorten the game just play one or two races. At most my wife and I get a good four races until someone actually reaches the game's goal points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
right up your proverbial alley
Look into Alhambra. My wife and I play this one alot. You can still find the German edition online for about $11 (it comes with rules in English and the components are language independant). Lost Cities is too simple for me, and Alhambra has a little more going on. It is still very simple--don't worry about overwhelming anyone withe fiddly rules or complicated gameplay.

The biggest complaint about Alhambra is that some people call it "multi-player solitaire." I think there is more interaction than that because you are competing for the same buildings, but you guys may like the "solitaire" aspect.

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Corsari is a card game (plays 2-4) which is a variation of Gin Rummy, with a few twists added to give you more choices.

Blokus is another game you might consider. It's abstract, simple rules, plays quickly and is good for 2 players, IMO.

For something more in the line of a board game, you should look at Hansa. Simple rules, not a lot of direct interaction and the decision of how to spend your few actions each turn feel like solving a puzzle (or balancing a budget ).

Another in the 2-player line by Kosmos that is kind of a quiet, pensive game is Rosenkonig. I really like it; the strategy is kind of like Lost Cities with movement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Ravens
rkalajian,

I tried to get her to try Odin's a while back, but the race aspect turned her off. Maybe she'll try it again? We'll see.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra
Goo,

I think this might be a bit much for her, but my birthday is coming up and I'll add this to my list of games and try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Dreifuss
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good games for female non-gamers who want to spend time with the male gamer in their life
I know that title is long, but you just don't know how hard it was to come up with a title that didn't sound like it should be on a parentally locked website. blush

My wife really likes:

Flower Power
(multiplayer solitaire is pretty much what it is)

Balloon Cup
(also not too difficult, but not mind-numbing)

Ticket To Ride
(it has the cards, is worth a try, since it has such high ratings anyway)

I hope you find success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Bert
Mate-Ticket to Ride won my wife hands down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10 Days
My wife fell hard for 10 Days in Africa last summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife really like Blokus & San Juan.

We also play Daytona 500, which she even suggested one night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot Carcassonne. She loves that one. Might even like Hunters & Gatherers more than regular, but she really enjoys these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Blokus and Samurai. Samurai has the advantage of scaling up to 4 players if you are in a situation to do that...but plays just as well with 2. My wife loves it.

Balloon Cup is fine, and she'll probably like it...but it doesn't really feel any different than playing Lost Cities to me. Oh, the game isn't necessarily that similar...just the way it feels playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help
I want to thank everyone for your help.

The suggestions are great, and I think I'm going to try Ticket to Ride, Carcassone H&G, Blokus and Balloon Cup. I don't own Blokus or Balloon Cup, but if she gives it to me for my birthday, she might try it.

I'll probably try a few others, but if nothing works, I've at least still got Lost Cities. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Chris, I'd suggest Razzia . It's gone over very well with the folks I game with that have similar tastes to your wife.

It's a card game with very simple mechanics, a lot of depth to the decisions . . . the only negative is that the scoring gets a bit mathematical, but you "get it" after a couple plays. It would also introduce he to auctioning games, and is scalable for 2-5 players. I'd suggest the scoring summary available here on the Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.