Thumb up
1 Posts

Catan Dice Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Slight tweaks to the basic variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
I agree with folks here that one of the biggest drawbacks of the game is that it has absolutely no strategy. The only feasible way to play is to ignore the settlements, rush for the cities and hope you a) get a lot of roads and b) get city dice when you need them. The plus variant is vastly superior, but for that I need to print out new sheets, and I'd prefer to get some mileage out of these I have.

Since I kinda like the game (as a travel filler mostly) I have thought of following tweaks. Basically the idea is to use the same sheets, to keep the game length, but to at least somewhat improve the gameplay:

1) You do not need to build settlements in order
, you merely need to have a connecting road.

2) You do not need to build knights in order, but you need to have a road on their hex to build them. Note: starting road does not allow you to build the "?" knight.

3) (optional - for adding interactivity) The game ends earlier if any player:
-- a) builds all settlements
-- b) builds all cities or
-- c) builds all knights

Players later in the turn order finish their throws and the game is over.

I think cities should still be built in order since otherwise everyone would always simply rush towards 20/30 point cities. The other option would be to allow out-of-order city building, but change their points a little bit - this might work well, but is a bit messy...

There. I'd really like some feedback and suggestions. Cheers!

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.