Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Glueing minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Devin Leung
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I have a few tiny plastic mini's that have snapped apart. Some in several pieces. Does anyone have an opinion on what type of glue I should use to repair them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zap a gap
This games workshop glue works great...for plastic or metal. But is is pricey...perhaps there are cheaper alternatives...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lise Fracalossi
United States
Lunenburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm by no means a glue expert, but isn't the Games Workshop glue mentioned above basically cyanoacrylate, i.e., superglue? Would superglue do the trick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superglue
Superglue would be fine, like Crazy Glue. I use Zap A Gap, myself. In most cases it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jeneki
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic cement usually works best for plastic kits. Look for it next to the model kits in stores. Plastic cement basically melts the pieces together, sort of like 'welding' them. There are a few types of plastic that this won't work on (for example, the Warzone 2nd edition boxset kits).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Leung
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, maybe I should specify what the pieces are. They're the little hobbits in the lord of the rings game. There's one with the head snapped off. Others have their legs broken off from the pedestal. So not much surface area to work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They're the little hobbits in the lord of the rings game. There's one with the head snapped off. Others have their legs broken off from the pedestal.

Man, you sure don't like those little Hobbit's, do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe. I used epoxy to heal Frodo (the yellow one?) when I stepped on him. He still doesn't look too good, though, so I'm not recommending it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
glue
What you want is GEL formula Crazy Glue. Walmart has it. It's thicker than normal, so it doesn't run. Just remember, a tiny dab will do.

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bullions
England
Hayes
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a broken plastic horse from a horse racing game that I brought from a charity shop. I only glue I had to hand at that time was an epoxy glue for glueing metal parts together. I tried it anyway and it worked cool . My plastic horse is as good as new (or at least will be, when I get around to painting over the glue) lemoncamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having built somewhere in the range of 25,000 miniatures, I recommend regular (not gel) superglue.

Zap-A-Gap I've heard good things about. Plastic cement is worthless on metal and terrible for plastic anyway.

I'd suggest just going to Wal-Mart and getting the cheapest regular superglue you can find. Duro is generally what I use but as long as it's not gel, it'll work fine for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Super glue
The main difference between super glue and plastic cement is that you can't stick your finger to your eye ball using plastic cement (or the best one I heard was use glue your eyelid shut by using super glue as eye drops by mistake!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.