Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Session stories - opinions needed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
so, there's something that i've been wanting to do and i wanted to know the Geeks opinion on it.

one of my hobbies is boardgames, obviously, but i'm also a writer. a creative writing degree allows you, pretty much, to work in any fast food restaurant you want to.

but here i found a new way to practice my writing.

i call them session stories.

i have written one to give to you guys as an example. this is not, by any means, a good example. this is not good writing, this is what i would call "throw up." it's what i could get down in 10 minutes, it's everything that popped into my head. it hasn't been editied, worked on, fixed, nothing. what i'm saying is that it's not good writing.

here it is

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/78252

so my questin to all of you is this. are people actually interested in stories like this? these wouldn't be a description of the game. these wouldn't even talk about mechanics, strategy, ideas, problems, nothing. they would just be short stories, based loosely off the game. characters, plots, themes, and whatnot would be recognizeable. would people actually be interested in this?

if so, would people rather i post it as a sessions report? or post it as an article called a session story? or even post it in a journal entry, or post periodic journal entries with links to new stories, 5 or 6 at a time.

if i decide to really get into this, these stories will get much better. most of them will take me a week or two to complete, not 10 minutes, and so i'm not going to invest anything if people aren't interested.

if peolpe ask me to write them, i'm on it in a heartbeat, but if there's no demand, there's no supply.

so if you enjoy reading this type of thing, what games would you want to hear from? what do you think would work well in story form?

please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Go For It
That was an excellent session report. Here's hoping for more of the same.

One suggestion: Add more thous and hasts and bequeaths, 'cause that's what good writers do. Oh yea, and fart's, because they are funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Go for it!
I have always had a soft spot for this kind of thing. Done a few myself in my time. I liked your Betrayal story - hope it will lead to some more!

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack,

Thank you for raising the bar on session reports. Some games like Betrayal are great for those type of stories. The designer was quite pleased with your effort and if that is where you derive your motivation, please continue writing.

Regards meeple

Norbert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagination
I think, for many games, especially ones with good themes, imagining what the little abstract things mean in context can be a fun part of the experience. I just rolled a 6, so I got out of the pit. But what does that mean? Did I climb out, use my rope, jump off the back of a dead monster?

I definitely think there is room for this kind of session report, but I think it should be a story based on an actual game you played.

Your "throw up" was a fun read anyway. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
that story was actually based on a game. i took many of the events and rooms and such, but everything that did happen can happen in the game. the betrayal was also based on a haunt in the game. and, i was the traitor and i did loose. and i was killed by 'flash' with his axe.

so most of it really happened, i just put it in context of a story.

some other games that i am thinking of writing short stories for:

Lord of the rings
The omega virus
Spy Alley
Doom
Memoir '44
maybe Settlers

what do Geeks think? is this something people want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mb
a writer
You're a writer, you should know by now. Don't give them what they want. Give them what you want them to have. Or give them what they need. Or something like that.

I think if a game lends itself to a narrative, it's cool to have fun with the session report. Remember, though, one of the main points of the SR is to inform others about the game--how it works, how it feels, strategy successes and failures, etc. If it's more about the story and less about the game, it seems kind of hokey to write it as an SR.

Then again, there are very slim guidlines for writing SRs. Do what you like. You'll get responses and ratings to let you know if everyone is liking what you are doing or not.

btw, Mystery of the Abbey is another game that lends itself very well to a narrative. There are some fun SRs there already told like a story.

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
then do you think i should post them as an article and name it something about a story? i don't want people to go looking for strategy and mechanics and just get pissed that it's a narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are two approaches to this. (1) If your writing is based on the actual moves and events in a real game session, spiced up with a fictional storyline, post it as a session report. We've had some excellent session reports done in this manner, with great fiction writing.

(2) If you write a story about what could happen in the setting of the game, but isn't based on an actual game session, I would suggest posting it as a general article under the game or here as a journal item. This is how I would view the writing you posted.

IMHO ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good, but is it a session report?
Hi Jack!

I liked your BatHotH story very much, but I'm with David (Gelatinous Goo) L when he says that the main point of an SR is to inform others about the game. Your story is so removed from the actual gaming session that I don't think it qualifies as an SR. If you want to create a story around a gaming session, you might consider the approach taken by Nigel Buckle in his War of the Ring SR's (for instance: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/68247): he tells a story in regular font and then makes his gaming comments in italics, so that we read both a good narrative and an accurate description of how the game itself evolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, so it sounds like if i do it, i should post as an article.

but the real question i want answered is this:

should i do it at all? if i do write these i'm not planning on just plopping down for 10 minutes and doing this. it won't be very much like the example i posted. i would actually spend time writing real stories, based on the games we all love.

but there are other places that i could throw my energies if people are not really interested in reading it here.

so, are you interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Write a good one, post it as a journal (here), and see what the reaction is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Session Report
Forget the Journal Idea. I think it's fine as a session report. I've seen some session reports that essentially list the final score and that about it. I'd rather read your stories. Geek gold is awarded for session reports, and not journal entries. Most importantly Geek gold is to entice the submittion good content. Clearly your work is worthy of a few gold, keep them coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
should i do it at all?

Yes, and as a session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it should be a geek list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.