Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Meeples? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Dozier
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since my formal introduction to Carcassonne et al., I have heard the player bits referred to as "meeples." The rules refer to them as "followers," but we all call them meeples. Does anyone know where this name came from, or is it just one of those gaming mysteries of the universe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Swedlund
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly
Here's one possible answer (http://thegamebistro.com/credits.htm), pointed to from Wikipedia:

"Alison Hansel coined the term. It's short for "My People" as she felt the little meeples were uber-cute. Local Massachusetts gamers started to use the term Meeple in numerous session reports that appeared on the 'net, and caught on over time. I've even heard Jay Tummelson use the term. (I'm still waiting for an official Rio Grande Games translation that uses the term.) It was said at an SSG session back in November of 2000. So it is written so let it be known...

"I've seen people refute this and claim that it was used far earlier for some other game... In any event, if the term was used before, it was not known to Alison. In any event, the usage with Carcassonne followers has a very specific origin." - David Bernazzani

The GeekList "The Official Favorite Game List of the Five Guys" at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi... retells the same origin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was told a similar story when asking the same question. I saved the link to the geeklist, but the geeklist has since been deleted

Oh and in our house the big meeple is known as "Bubba".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.