Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was right, the Tri-Valley Boardgamers did consent to put another of my 42 on the table this evening, Cities and Knights of Catan. And yikes, what a session! We had five players, and the numbers were very lopsided -- nearly all the good numbers were on one end of the board. As a result, the initial cities either went on bad numbers or, as mine did, on hexes that didn't produce commodities, just resources. This game went for three hours, and we ended when one of us hit 11 VP, rather than 13.

Look for a session report on this to arrive in the not-too-distant future (not by me).

This is a title that I usually end up only playing once a year (two years it didn't appear, and one year I played it twice). And that seems about right. Each time I sit down I'm enthusiastic about playing, and during the game I have a good time, and at the end, regardless of who wins, feel sated, and ready to put it away again for a while. I think it's the added time it takes, especially when compared with the base Settlers game.

As I think about it, I think I'd be hard pressed to put base Settlers, Seafarers, and C&K in some kind of preferential order. They all offer such different things: the base game gives you a quick, elegant game, while Seafarers games tend to be longer but more relaxed games, and C&K offers more intensity and more variables than either of the other two. It's nice to have that kind of variety. And no, I haven't mixed Seafarers and C&K. Honestly, that kind of scares me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.