Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Boardgame Magazine???? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: periodicals [+] [View All]
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derk, Aldie and Rick briefly mentioned a couple of periodicals on the last GeekSpeak. I have recently started picking up Undefeated, but just heard it has been discontinued by its publisher.

Why isn't there a broad-approach boardgame trade magazine? Even those terrible CCGs have Scrye..

I would love to see a Magazine chalk full of reviews, previews, strategies, and variants. I have to believe that this new surge in the hobby could support a long-living periodical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parker
Canada
Cobble Hill
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read Games Quarterly and it's not too bad...maybe a little light at times.It even has a Settler's scenerio in the back of each magazine though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carey
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have wished for a long time that a good, frequent boardgaming magazine would hit the newsstands. I used to pick up Counter magazine occasionally, but not recently. It was pretty good. This community has grown so much lately that I was actually wondering if it could spawn a group of people with enough knowledge, talent, and experience to publish a boardgaming magazine. Maybe an online zine would be the first step. Low overhead and publishing costs. Probably lots of willing volunteers around here to take on various responsibilities. Hmmmm....

Oh, and I haven't tried a camel yet, so... mintcamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
I reccomend...
Games International is a lot of what you're looking for. Lots of previews and reviews, good feature articles, lots of pictures, some fun stuff, etc. (and it's in English too). You can buy the two most current issues for a very reasonable "buy it now" on eBay right now to check out without being obligated to a subsciption
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
I "recommend" it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been tried...
Over the years there have been several attempts to start broad-based gaming magazines but they've all folded. I think the problem is that it's too hard to find a critical mass of gamers who are interested in a lot of different kinds of games. Most people are only interested in a small number of games. So a broad-based game magazine ends up having too little on the games they are interested in and too much on the games they're NOT interested in. SCRYE is more about the collectible aspect of CCG's than the playing of them, so it's not a comparable publication. Besides, Magic:The Gathering, still dominates that game genre far more than any board game ever could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Counter and Games International are the best IMHO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S W E E T !
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Who needs an outdated magazine when you've got the Geek?

Okay, I know, it's nice to hold it in your hands, read it on "the throne" etc. etc. etc.

Who am I kidding--I'd probably subscribe myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel O'Connell
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
what's full about chalk?
Please don't think I'm having a go but I keep seeing this phrase being used on this sight; "Chalk full". At first I thought it was a typo for chock full but I keep seeing it now.

Is this one of those strange moments when language mutates? Like when "the business" became "the bees knees".

Doesn't bother me, chock full doesn't make any more sense to me than chalk full.

I've just realised that a lot of U.S. accents pronounce chalk just like chock. So I'm fairly sure this is what happened.

Like I said, I'm not having a go and I'm not correcting you either, I just find it interesting.

Keep on mutating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Herranz
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you can speak spanish you should check Tabula, a good ezine (a new issue each 2 months) about Board Games (mostly Eurogames).

Downloadable free from http://ludere.ual.es/bsk/ in PDF format ready to print (7 issues published)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you can speak spanish you should check Tabula,

and if you read German, Spielbox is excellent value for money. (And the last two issues included, respectively, the Ticket to Ride Mystery Train expansion and the Carcassonne Cathars expansion).

Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.