Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Middle Earth: The Wizards CCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after all the high reviews of this CCG (I already play NetRunner and L5R), I broke down (thanks Chris Farrell!), and bought a box of ten starter decks.

My question: is this all my friends and I need? Do we need boosters as well? Should we mix the contents of the starter decks, or keep them pristine? Any words of advice for a new ME:TW player would be MOST appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well of course boosters are good additions, but you have all you really need to play with in the starter decks. Personally, I say open all the decks and mix them up. What good is a game, or game components that go unplayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you have the challenge decks: five wizard decks, five ringwraith decks. They are balanced and fun, whether you pit them against each other or play solitaire against yourself. Wizard versus Wizard is as good as Wizard vs Ringwraith and Ringwraith versus Ringwraith.

I'd suggest you start with the wizard decks (which have fewer complications than ringwraith decks), and look at the full rules on either

http://fan.theonering.net/morgulrats/melerules.html

This adds in the Standard Rules for the Lidless Eye (the first ME set that covered both the original Wizards and the new Ringwraiths). These rules tell you things like how to modify corruption checks by tapping characters---which you'll definitely need with the Saruman deck when he's got the Palantir.

The starter rules are fine to, ah, start with, of course.

For more information about the game, see Beginner Central at

http://www.treebeard.com/

orangecamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's possible that you don't have the challenge deck, you just have normal starters.

In which case you don't have preconstructed decks, just bunches of cards.

So you'll need to either 1) play out of the deck for the first few games (it's possible because of the fixed packs that render starter decks usable), 2) construct some decks, which I think will be harder until you get a hang of what's going on.

But if you do have the preconstructed challenge decks, play them as they are until you feel like you know enough to construct a deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlimited Edition...
is actually what I have. Normal starters, then.

I only ask if I should mix the cards up because a CCG like NetRunner actually plays BETTER out of a sealed deck, wheras with L5R you'd want a starter and 3 boosters to really get going.

Thanks for the tips and the links!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean!

I think ME:TW would probably do well with a starter and a few boosters, similar to L5R. (L5R is also similar in ME:TW in sthat L5R also features one fixed pack per clan in its starters---although Alderac is silent on what those fixed packs actually are.)

I think it's possible to play out of a normal starter, though, unlike L5R (not enough clan cards with just a starter). I've never had the pleasure. You'll want to make sure that the fixed pack you get is different from the fixed pack your opponent gets, as character conflicts at the beginning suck (as every character acts like an old MTG-style Legend---you can only have one in play, whether your opponent's or yours).

ME:TW is a wonderful game. I love it the best of my LOTR games. When you play it, it's like, hmmm... playing some kind of RPG, I suppose. It's hard not to get into the theme when you play this game.

Decipher's LOTR:TCG takes a few things from ME:TW, but still pales in comparison, and doesn't have enough synergy to get that thematic feel.

Lair of the Morgul Rats also has a comparison of the two games, if you're at all interested:

http://fan.theonering.net/morgulrats/mevslotr.html

Have fun, and hope you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
THE BEST OF CCG!
Congratulations,
You just found the best ccg created ever!

If you play with Wizard vs Ringwraith, it will be very confusing for you as a newbie. I suggest you play with just freepeople. (You will finally discover the jun when 2 teams fighting each other: Trolls + Orcs slaughter Hobbits and Elven maids!!! But wait until you familiar with the rules)

Must have: A MISSION. You must have a mission in order to play it in a meaningful way. Otherwise, just chasing high score is not the best to run this game.

BOOSTER: MUST HAVE! Otherwise you will never get the most important card ONE RING!!!!!! It is very cheap to buy in ebay or other card store nowadays.

p.s. I have a still in shrink wrap Box 1 of 2 THE BALROG card set in hand. If you are interest pls let me know. And I do have lots of singles spare if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Congratulations,
You just found the best ccg created ever!

BOOSTER: MUST HAVE! Otherwise you will never get the most important card ONE RING!!!!!! It is very cheap to buy in ebay or other card store nowadays.

You can get the One Ring in starters as well, as you can with all the rare cards. And I wouldn't say it is the most important card in the game, far from it to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is especially fun (to me at least) is to make theme decks. For example, a deck based around Aragorn that goes to Gondor and recruits the factions, plus has Narsil, and other Aragorn associated items (Elfstone, Anduril if you can get it, etc.) You can make a Hobbit deck, or an Elf deck, all can be loads of fun.

Now if I could only find a new opponent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Maps
Btw, when starting out I would print out a map of the game world with all the sites and regions. Very useful when planning moves and such. Infact I still use one. Also, do not use the region cards, just use the above mentioned map instead. Region cards are cumbersome and adds absolutely nothing to the game (which is why no one uses them anymore).

To make life simpler when starting out, I'd proxy all the sites as well. It's really boring to have some cool items/faction but not having the site where you play them.

Good luck with the game! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is (well, was obviously) a lovely official map by ICE. We used that to play about 95 of our 100+ games. Region cards! Yikes. That took me back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is it true?
Do you mean the One Ring as a random rare found in the Starter? It is very unlikely to happen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really??
Do you mean the One Ring as a random rare found in the Starter? It is very unlikely to happen!

Caroline, it was the very first card in the very first Unlimited starter I opened! Maybe that was blind luck, but maybe distribution isn't as bad as we've been hearing.

Paul, where can I find a large map of ME:TW to print out? It sounds like a great idea!

Thanks, all, for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Map
Check here: http://www.meccg.net/netherlands/meccg/index.html

Go to the downloads section and you'll find some maps to download. I have a large official map, but guess they are not available anymore. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:

Caroline, it was the very first card in the very first Unlimited starter I opened! Maybe that was blind luck, but maybe distribution isn't as bad as we've been hearing.

I have never seen this super-natural thing happened around me, even not the customers I had during when my hobby store was still alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.