Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Wargames on the wall (or Chits in Spaaaaace!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I live with a compulsive cleaner wife, two cats, two dogs and an inquisitive 6 year old (and his oft-times visiting friends.) I am in need of a hex and chit multi-hour gaming fix and have gotten ready to give Ambush a go.

My original plan was to use magnetic counter holders to let the game live on the wall, out of reach (and act as an object of beauty regardless of how much I got to play.)

Alas, this game has both 1/2 and 5/8 inch chits, which means I've got to purchase (mail order, wait another week or two, spend more $$) more holders since all mine are 1/2 inch (and I'm having a hard time finding enough of teh ones I think I have.)

I wondered if anyone had success with (prepare for the horror...) pinning chits to the map? Perhaps a carefully positioned small pin through the center of any stacked chits on a given hex. With a suitable surface behind the map? It would be even more robust long term than the magnetic solution.

Yes, the abuse to the game is making me shudder, but in my old age I'm starting to wonder if just owning the games and reading the rules is enough? Maybe actually getting some play time could outweigh the preservation of the resale value of the game? There. I said it. I feel ill. 24 years of gaming philosophy trashed in one sentence.

Anyone have alternatives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The Longest Pin
I had a copy of The Longest Day that I found at the flea market which it appears someone had started to play that way. Fortunately, they didn't play very much, because only a small number of counters and hexes had holes... For Ambush, you have a relatively low counter density, so it might work.

By the way, doesn't Ambush have double-sided counters? That would knock out the magnetic option right off the bat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
yep, double sided
Yes, the double sided counters (essential to play) make the magnetic option harder. Since the counter holders allow the chits to slip in and out it's not impossible, but it's a big hassle. It does rule out just backing chits with plastic mag stripping.

Yes, the thought of opening up some game I scored at a garage sale or thrift store and finding it all punched up with holes makes me shudder. But it would be dang simple, cheap and meet all my needs except self-respect. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There is this
I have seen this 'substance' that I am thinking of, used for this purpose before, but I don't recall exactly just what it is called. It is some sort of 'putty' that you use a small piece on a counter and then it will 'stick' upon a surface or another counter. You could even 'stack' counters upon one another with this stuff but I'd imagine that too many and GRAVITY will 'weigh' in. It was also used to prevent counters from being 'jarred' about on a level playing surface too in case of the mapsheet or board being 'jostled'. They might even have a latest version of this 'stuff' and I'd check out office supply places and the like for it. Good Luck in this and the gaming.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be thinking of Blue-Tac
A lot of modelers (read: GW minis players, like me) use it to check the positioning of models before the gluing is done. You can find it at virtually any hobby store. Not sure if there'd be any effect on the coated cardboard that comprises most chits/counters, but you might end up with some of them stained lightly blue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Interesting! I think we used to call it 'mastic' or something like that.

I'll try that with some spare chits and map paper and reprt the effect.

Thanks!
-tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.