Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: To My GeekBuddies: Titicaca rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I’m not cussing at you or calling you a nasty name, I’m sharing my excitement over a new game.

The newest addition to my game collection is Titicaca, which I’ve played twice and has now infected my brain with the Titicaca virus.

It’s an area-control game where you create the areas depending on how you play. There’s no luck involved, it has a variable board so it plays differently each time, you bid for turn order, and there are multiple paths to scoring. You score in 3 areas twice during the game, and in 4 areas at the end game so there’s different strategies to try and the winner isn’t assured until the end.

My daughter, Cori, and I set this up yesterday afternoon and worked through the first-play nuances of the rules. The rules take up 2 sides of a single sheet of 6 ½ X 11 ½ piece of paper and are well laid out and left us with no question unanswered. We enjoyed it so much we talked Richard into a game after he came home from work. That was a close game right to the end even though Richard had the disadvantage of being the new player.

This only left me with the need to play again; thoughts of it invaded my mind all night and even this morning as I took my shower. There may be a flaw in this game; I may find something in subsequent plays that lowers my first-flush love of it but for now, the only cure for the Titicaca Virus is to be re-infected until you develop a natural immunity.

kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Cwali success?
Hi Mary, I think I read in another of your journals that you like StreetSoccer as well, which is also from Cwali. I also enjoy that, so based on your journal today I'll need to add Titicaca to my ever-growing list of games to get. Thanks for the recommendation!

Since you like Titicaca and StreetSoccer, may I suggest the most recent game from Cwali, which is Typo. If you have any interest in word games at all, you'll love it. Scales well from 2 to 6, plays faster than Scrabble, and adds in a bidding/bluffing aspect which makes it one of the livelier words games around. I even played with with kids the other night at family game night, so that gives you idea of how fun this game is.

Hmmm, actually I'm not one of your geekbuddies yet, but looking over your game collection, I see a lot of games I enjoy...

Enjoy your games!
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Steve, I'll look into Typo. Though my family isn't terribly into word games, I like them.

Cori and I have been having great fun with both StreetSoccer and Titicaca. Of course, she may like them because she can beat me in both of them!

We got really silly playing StreetSoccer one night, with her goalie attacking one of my players so we may have to include a house rule about unnecessary roughness on the field! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Titicaca?
"Lake Titicaca, oh Lake Titicaca
It's between Bolivia and Peru
Lake Titicaca, oh Lake Titicaca
With waters tranquil and blue.
Oh Lake Titicaca, yes Lake Titicaca
Why do we sing of its fame?
Lake Titicaca, yes Lake Titicaca
'Cause we really like saying its name!
Titicaca!"

This moment of juvenile humor brought to you by Yakko, Wakko, and Dot Warner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An Anamaniacs Fan!
I'm very impressed (and not a little scared) that you could come up with that little ditty.

But can you do the State Capitols and Presidents!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Oh, I didn't write that from memory. Eight years ago, when I was a NUT for the Animaniacs, I probably could have, but now my memory is taken up with far more important things, like all of Knizia's bidding games, Age of Steam strategies, etc., etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can hear is the Great Cornholio.

ARE YOU THREATENING ME?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.