Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Ticket To Ride - Strategy warning!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is the favourite game for my partner and I to play on our own. I love it with any number of players and the game is very different with two than with five.

My usual initial strategy is to keep tickets that compliment each other. Scoring is much easier if by completing one destination you have part completed another. However in last night's game my three starting tickets were Portland to Phoenix, Vancouver to Seatle and Boston to Miami. Therefore none would be any use to any other. But, they would cover the entire west, north and east coast and score several 5 and 6 long connections. I figured that all I had to do was connect them together and I'd also get the longest route into the bargain!

Be warned! If you plan to do something like this, count how many pieces you need! It was in my last two turns that I realised I couldn't do it! I was two trains short. Instead of connecting Boston to Miami I could only ensure I had connected the three routes together, leaving the final leg, Charleston to Miami, unconnected. I got my 10 points for longest route but lost the 12 points for the Boston to Miami ticket.

I still won the game however because of the number of 15 point connections I'd made. Tony had tickets based around the Deluth to Houston route - easy to complete but very low scoring.

And so I'm left wondering again, what the best strategy to employ is. And, as usual, I can't wait for my next game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always try to stay on one side of the map.
I would not have kept the Boston-Miami Ticket.

The ten points for the longest connection are not all that important, if, like you did, you get a lot of 15 pointers.

Sometime I do get carried away, especially when I draw more tickets, and I want to connect more cities that I physically can. And more than once, I wound up short by one, two, or three trains.

limecamel I love the limecamel....tasty.....but must add golden camel...

goldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and I do hope that TtR Europe will add a little more strategy to the game.
limecamelgoldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...and I do hope that TtR Europe will add a little more strategy to the game.

I like T2R for it's simplicity. I think I'd sooner have just had a new board and for them not to have messed with the gameplay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TtR Europe will be just a little bit different. Still very simple.

1. There will be 46 Tickets in the game. Six of them are Long Routes (20-21) and 40 of them are Short Routes (5-13, with most of them being 5-9). Long Routes have different fronts from Short Routes. At the start, each player is dealt 1 Long Route Ticket and 3 Short Route Tickets. You have to keep 2 Tickets, but you can keep 3 or all 4. Tickets you do not keep are put back in the box and are out of the game, as are Long Routes that are not dealt out. So you don't know which players kept their Long Route Tickets, if any. This gives you much more of a choice of the different strategies you can use in the game right from the start.

2. Most of the routes on the board are 1-4 spaces. There are no routes of 5 spaces, only two of 6 spaces, and one of 8 spaces. This means the scoring for Claiming Routes is much closer. Which in turn means Tickets become much more important. For this reason, and because of some of the other changes, you'll draw Tickets much more on the average. And because most of the Tickets are Short Routes, you'll tend to keep more of the ones you do draw.

3. There are only 9 double routes on the Europe map vs. 22 on the USA map. The hoarding cards strategy is still viable, but it can be a lot tougher depending on how early the other players start Claiming Routes. The Longest Route Card is usually won by a player with a much shorter continuous route (25-35), because it's hard to end up with just one continuous route of 40+.

4. Some routes have Tunnels. When you try to Claim a Tunnel Route, there is a chance you'll have to pay additional cards. If you don't want to pay the additional cost or you don't have the cards to pay it, you take back the cards you played and lose your turn! You just never know what is going to happen when you start to dig a tunnel.

5. There are Ferry Routes for which you will need 1 or 2 Wild Cards as part of the set you use to Claim these routes. The Tunnels and the Ferries make Wild Cards much more valuable, so you'll see players draw a face up Wild Card much more often.

6. Finally, a new type of piece is being added to the game. I don't mean to tease (although I am enjoying it), but Days Of Wonder asked me not to give you any specifics about this addition, so you'll have to wait for the official announcements at the Toy Fairs.

The overall effect is that the EUROPE map is even more tense than the USA map. It feels both the same and different, sort of like a new pair of your favorite shoes, comfortable but with that little extra bounce. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed designing it.

limecamelgoldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo B.
Italy
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
And so I'm left wondering again, what the best strategy to employ is.

Well, you stated it clearly in your previous sentence:

Quote:
I still won the game however because of the number of 15 point connections I'd made. Tony had tickets based around the Deluth to Houston route - easy to complete but very low scoring.

Just collect 5 and 6 routes: that's all the strategy you need in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The hoarding cards strategy

This is my personal favorite strategy for this game. The last game I played I ended up holding 11 of the pink/purple cards. That gives you a pretty nice feeling when your tickets feature west coast cities, I can tell you. I ended up winning that game, completing both New York to LA and New York to Seattle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
6. Finally, a new type of piece is being added to the game. I don't mean to tease (although I am enjoying it), but Days Of Wonder asked me not to give you any specifics about this addition, so you'll have to wait for the official announcements at the Toy Fairs.

Days of Wonder already announced that the new piece is a train station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just collect 5 and 6 routes: that's all the strategy you need in this game.

Against good players, if that's all the strategy you use, you'll lose more than your share of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.