Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: New Front Page rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
So the new front page is that bad huh?

I don't think the old one is a very workable possibility... the DHTML doesn't work on every browser the same. Sometimes the page came up mostly blank with a far-right column of tabs. The tabs couldn't be refreshed unless you refreshed the whole page, then clicked on that tab again. It was pretty cluttered. Anything under 1024x768 was pretty much unusable.

If someone out there who designs web pages has a better alternative and displays the same amount of info please let me know.

I am planning on allowing you to configure your front page view in your profile, so you can start with your favorite tab. I will also put recent additions in a tab with sub tabs for each type (I think this is good).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually really like the new frontpage, thumbnails and everything.

To appease the complainers maybe make the front page customizable via cookies? This way people can see what they want when they sign in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New front page
Actually, I have no problem with it. I like some of the changes (hot games going to 100). Some changes I don't mind (the tabs - they organize, but let me see less at a glance).

The only thing I don't like is making Hot Games the default tab and having thumbnails for the top 10 Hot Games. Combined, these two make the front page UGLY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I took out the thumbs.. they were pretty bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I put in a quick cookie for when you go back to the front page. it shows the one you were looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one liked the old layout. Then again, I use 1600x1200, and my monitor's big enough to make all that info (updates, lists, hot games, journals, etc.) readable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Krow
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Bad?
People upset by changes again? That and snow seem to be the constants lately. The site looks good to me, cleaner with easy access to everything. Just curious, what constitutes a hot game? I'd be more interested in seeing the ones with the most new content (session reports, user reviews, and articles) considered "hot." To me this would give a much clearer picture of what people are interested in then just raw number of clicks. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
As a regular Safari user, I'm glad that the new front page works with Safari. But frankly, when I DID see the old front page in Firefox, I liked it, and I can see why people for whome it worked want it back. How impractical would it be to use the old front page along with a link that says "having trouble viewing this? click here for an alternate view," with a link to the new front page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Quote:
People upset by changes again? That and snow seem to be the constants lately. The site looks good to me, cleaner with easy access to everything. Just curious, what constitutes a hot game? I'd be more interested in seeing the ones with the most new content (session reports, user reviews, and articles) considered "hot." To me this would give a much clearer picture of what people are interested in then just raw number of clicks. Just a thought.

It's clicks... I agree about content too, perhaps I can tweak the algorithm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Aldie!

The front page works much better in Safari.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Content
Yeah, Hot Content might be interesting, but I have a feeling it will be dominated by all the people posting even MORE pictures of Doom, Heroscape, and War of the Ring.

I'd still be more interested in a tab of highly-rated lesser-known games with activity (either content or clicks). Something to try to bring hidden gems to the light or clue us in on the overlooked new releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy VanSchalkwyk
United States
Raynham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lasers!
badge
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
not that we need another tab...
just my $.02... personally, i think clicks is a pretty good way to figure the "hot games"....and while we perhaps don't need yet another tab/catagory, what joe krow was suggesting seems to sound more like "active games", or something...if 400 people go to visit a game page in one day (i have no idea if that's a larger number...pretend it is for my example), but some other game happens to have 5 articles and 2 session reports added to it (again, pretend that's a large number, because i don't know if it is).... is the game with 7 new things really "hotter" than the game that 400 people wanted to view?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
I liked being able to see all the recent additions on the front page just at a glance. The whole active/rated/recent thing was a good one, since I could choose to ignore the ones I didn't want to see.

The new setup isn't as easy to navigate at a glance, and will probably result in my participating less and less with the discussions. Whether or not this is a good thing, though, is up to everyone else....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i almost never use the hot games links. I would find "active games" much more useful. Or as I think was suggested earlier a tab for recent additions.

But, I do think I used the hot games links more when I was new here. It does let you know what folks are into right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Skulley
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try not to complain about change, but I did prefer the old page with all the info in one glance. I'll learn to deal though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my voice to those who liked having all the information on the front page visible at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I preferred the old as well. Thanks for your hard work though! Regardless of what you finally decide on I will get used to it :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I will probably do an advanced setting on your profile to bring up the old page... but I won't support it. How's that?

As I said in my post if someone wants to come up with a design that conveys more info than there is now, I will be happy to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RB
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate your efforts, but I have to agree with the others -- I definitely prefer the old page. The old page was a much more efficient use of space. It will be interesting to see how this affects traffic... I would also think this is going to really increase the number of people using inappropriate places to publish questions/info just to ensure that the most people see it.

This was probably covered somewhere, but what is the reason for the change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the new front page tabs I can no longer right click on a link to open in a new browser tab, using Firefox. As soon as I right click it immediately loads the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Oldham
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No open in new window
Well here's a comment from a different angle for you...

The front page lists are pretty quirky, in that no matter how you click on the listed link, it opens in the current window.

If there are four or five journals/geeklists that look interesting, it's very convenient to keep the front page open and simply open all the interesting links in seperate windows (by right-click/Open in new window, or holding down shift and left-clicking). Now though, opening a link in a new window also opens the link in the front page window!

Is this intentional? And if not, any chance of the links being taught to behave themselves at some point in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Oldham
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
...aaaand you beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If there are four or five journals/geeklists that look interesting, it's very convenient to keep the front page open and simply open all the interesting links in seperate windows (by right-click/Open in new window, or holding down shift and left-clicking). Now though, opening a link in a new window also opens the link in the front page window!

I think this problem must be browser specific as I do not have the same problem in Safari. If this info helps narrow this issue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy VanSchalkwyk
United States
Raynham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lasers!
badge
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
opening in new window
Quote:
opening a link in a new window also opens the link in the front page window!

Indeed, i see this behavior too. I'm running the latest Opera beta, a browser i typically find to handle tabbed-browsing quite well, so i don't think it's a browser issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i love this newest change with geeklists on left and geek journals on right!

Works nicely in Safari with tabbed browsing too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.