Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Question on Game Trading... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the protocol on this as far as game values go? Is there a database most users here go to to determine if value is equal when it comes to a trade?

If I put a game for trade up and someone engages and sends a trade and I do not feel it is equal what do I do? Or do I have to approve the trade here before the initialize.

Just curious before I take a couple of mine and put them up for trade (Piratenbucht AND Pirates Cove - alas my wife bought me the german one first and then had to turn around and get me one in English)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trades
For in-print stuff, retail or mail-order prices are a good guide. If two games cost the same, it is probably a fair trade. It gets harder to judge for OOP stuff, imported stuff, games that have been rereleased, etc... Short answer is that there is no such thing as a price guide, but you end up getting a pretty good feel for it once you've been here a while.

If someone offers you a trade that you think is not equals, there is a link that says "Modify trade offer". Just make changes, or add comments, and send it back to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all up to the traders involved, and every trade is different.

I usually just go by retail value, which you can find at any online retailer. If the game is OOP, I just take a quick look at Ebay prices or BGG Marketplace prices. A lot of people don't care as much about monetary value though, and just care more about the value that they'll get out of game play.

If you feel that someone offered you an unequal trade, simply send them a counter-offer that you feel is fair. Otherwise, just reject the trade and politely tell them why you thought it was not desirable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
The key to the treasure is the treasure.
You Make the Call
Values found are the web are a good guide, but at the end of the day, you are the final judge as to whether a trade is fair. People can honestly value two different games differently because value -- especially for used or OOP print games -- can be somewhat subjective. Sometimes a gamer will be willing to trade a game they don't want for less than its market value, and sometimes a gamer will only be willing to trade it for a particular game or for something they feel is a good value.

If you are uncomfortable with a proposed trade, make a counter-proposal or refuse it. Don't feel forced into a trade you feel is uneven. Instead, the key protocols a good trader will follow are politeness, honesty, and fair dealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice, Jeff. And good question as well Matthew..

I struggled with this just this morning. Someone offered me an order at funagain in exchange for two oop games I have up for trade. I had no idea how to assess their value! I didn't want to price myself out of a trade, nor offend the person making the offer. But I wanted to get a fair deal for myself. I ended up looking up prices on ebay and made my decision accordingly. I hope I guessed right.

Another way to find potential value is to look in the BGG marketplace and take a look at the little graph button that allows you to see the prices paid by others for sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Willour
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Don't Worry. Be Happy!
Quite simple. If you are happy with the trade, why do you need someone else to tell you what the games are "worth"? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daugherty
United States
Irmo
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Be careful about using E-Bay as a guide. People use E-Bay to get the highest price possible, rather than what might be more fair and honest. As soon as a game goes out of print, some people think they have the right to steal from others. A lot of games that go oop deserve to stay that way. In the end, it is up to you; what are you willing to do?

Hmmm. Normally I don't respond to things like this, but I fail to see the logic in your statement? What do you mean the right to steal? If the seller asks for a price, and the buyers are willing to pay the price, then how is that stealing? In the same context, if a lot of buyers want a particular game and they drive the price up, again how is that stealing? No one is forcing anyone to pay a particular price for an OOP game on E-bay. Yes, E-bay does drive up prices. But e-bay follows the same rules of supply and demand that a free market economy does. I think it's an issue of the 'must have' mindset, not an issue of stealing.

-Darke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading games is all about finding the win/win where both parties come away happy. Since I'm such a bargain hunter I figure that as long as I feel like I'm getting somewhere between what I paid and what the market value of the game in question then I'm probably agreeable. It's just now I've got all the easy stuff to find that I really want. All that's left now is really new stuff and really hard to find out of print stuff.

It's a nice place to be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daugherty
United States
Irmo
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

If you notice what comes before the "right to steal" part, I commented how people use E-Bay to "get the highest price possible, rather than what might be more fair and honest." I included the "might be" because I understand that it is often a matter of opinion as to what is too high, "fair and honest," etc. I would take the "right to steal" part with a bit of one's tongue stuck in one's cheek.

Agreed on this, E-bay price is almost always not fair price.

Quote:
Now, let's turn to something that you said:

Quote:
No one is forcing anyone to pay a particular price for an OOP game on E-bay. Yes, E-bay does drive up prices. But e-bay follows the same rules of supply and demand that a free market economy does. I think it's an issue of the 'must have' mindset, not an issue of stealing.

Yes, you are correct; no one is forcing anyone to buy anything at E-Bay. But you forget the seller's responsibility, if he/she understands the meaning of that word, to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

No one forces the seller to set the price he/she does. Just because we live in the, so called, "free market" economy where supply and demand are the rule (think Darwin and jungle economics), it does not make it right. This is just my opinion.

There are some laws higher than that of "supply and demand." Loving your neighbour, even the one who shops on E-Bay, is one of those laws.

Again, I disagree. Does the seller, at some point during the AUCTION (sometimes we forget that e-bay is an auction site, not an online store), stop the bidding and say "Ok, this is a fair price, sold to the fairest bidder"? No, it is up to the buyers to decide what they are willing to spend for an item. No it's not a perfect system because people with the same desire for a product are automatically precluded if they do not have same access to purchasing funds as everyone else. Just as the buyer wants to get the lowest price possible, the seller should want to get the highest price possible (within reason of course, assuming they are fully disclosing their item for sale and the buyers understand what they are buying). Take Dark Tower or Talisman as examples. Funwise, these games are not worth the going price that they fetch on E-bay. But for whatever reason; nolstagia, sheer whine factor, whatever, people are willing to pay anywhere from $100-200 for a copy of one of these games. Buyers could easily cap what they are willing to spend to drive the prices down, but the instant gratification mentality that drives this society will inevitably keep the e-bay prices of these games high. Not to say it wouldn't be nice if sellers had a reasonable buy it now price of $50 on these items, but it's impractical. A lucky person would end up getting the game for cheap, and then they might turn around and sell it for a huge profit. I'm all for the golden rule, but I'm also practical too.

-Darke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gern Blankston
United States
Whocaresville
Hopelessness
flag msg tools
Sounds like you sold the "gold" in the "golden rule" on E-Bay
Quote:
I'm all for the golden rule, but I'm also practical too.

How "practical" was it when Jesus was nailed to the cross? The reality is that E-Bay and the teachings of Jesus are at opposite ends of the values' spectrum.

There is a song, not a very good one, called "One Tin Solider." Part of the chorus goes like this:

Quote:
Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of heaven,
you can justify it in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting how a topic can move around...

Thanks for the thoughts and responses. In my case I don't have a game group or a store that allows you to play test games so although in a perfect world I would know how much I like a game BEFORE I trade for it that will not be the case for me. I can glean what I can about others opinions but it would be impossible to judge the trade based on "play value" when I do not really know what I am trading for outside of the interest that has been sparked in me by the comments of other BGG users.

Although I agree that value isn't the #1 thing I just can't accept trading Age of Empires for TtR either... I was simply curious if there was a resources used and it looks like BGG and Ebay are the two I can use to start judgement and then modify according to what I want.

Thanks all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daugherty
United States
Irmo
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
I'm all for the golden rule, but I'm also practical too.

How "practical" was it when Jesus was nailed to the cross? The reality is that E-Bay and the teachings of Jesus are at opposite ends of the values' spectrum.

Matthew 22:21
"Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's."

In the greater scheme of things, games have NOTHING to do with the Kingdom of God. If you went up to Jesus and said "Teacher! Teacher! My neighbor just overcharged me for a copy of Nuclear War!", do you think he would really care? In all reality, this HOBBY of playing games is not that important. If anything, it is a LUXURY. To try and compare your PERSONAL views about the high price of games on E-bay with the teachings of Jesus, is well, absurd! In the end the only thing you've done is made us (Christians) out to look like fools in the eyes of others, which in the end actually dilutes the teachings of Jesus.

Now I am in no way trying to offend you, and if I have, I apologize. But before you go firing off the name of Jesus, *THINK* about what you are saying.

-Darke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.