conlan rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

Samurai, designed by Reiner Knizia, is now available!

Here's a handful of screenshots:

Samurai supports up to 4 players, who can play via hot seat or over the internet!

Samurai will also be a universal app with native iPad support, soon after the initial iPhone release.

For download and screenshots:

App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reiner-knizias-samurai/id3868...

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Samurai-App/116067038442686

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/conlan

Space is limited, but we'd love to have some dedicated fans help beta test during this final stretch! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
Does changing the text here count towards "Change Your Avatar" day?
mbmbmb
Re: Reiner Knizia's Samurai coming to iPhone in August

...one more reason NOT to have a cell phone! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good, although at first glance maybe a bit more difficult to make out the pieces compared to the simple and disinct shapes of the originals... is there an option to turn off the display of the acquired pieces, to keep it hidden as in the standard multiplayer game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
conlan rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@kswingruber: For sure!

@R0B0T0: I've put up another screenshot where you can see non-colored pieces. They 'flash' the color of the current controlling player and are a bit easier to make out when you see the effect

Definitely, this version supports 'Hidden Captures' as well as 'Random Hand' options to accomodate beginner and advanced players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in order to allow this low-res, decent looking mobile-phone game to exist for a phone that only a small % of the population owns, we had to give up the incredibly well designed user interface on Mabiweb? I, for one, will not applaud this effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to agree with this one too, although I am more disappointed that the PC version now seems impossible to find.

My favorite board game implementation of all time (including really nice AI), although admittedly I have not tried that many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brumitt
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really disappointed that none of these are coming to Android's marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh, I don't feel bad towards Knizia...The guy's gotta make his money. If I had successful boardgames I'd probably be trying to flog them on iphone, DS and every other place I could.

Having said that...DEATH TO APPLE! Long live everything else! (except cockroaches)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it seems a few clicked on thread missing the iPhone part in the title. Sigh oh sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Low
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand your disappointment. However, there are several reasons why cool games don't come out for the Android.

1. In terms of market exposure, sales distribution, etc., the iPhone/iPad platform is awesome.

2. There is rampant software piracy on the Android platform, compared to the iPhone/iPad platform. Why should a developer spend his/her time making a cool app, when it is easily pirated??! While iPhone apps get pirated as well, it is not easy for the "casual" pirate because of the iTunes store.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at some iPhone programming and porting some cool board games. However, I would NEVER bring them over to the Android platform, for the reasons I stated above.

I would recommend that you get an iPhone/iPad if you want to play cool board games on "the go".

richmlow

houdinimachine wrote:
I'm really disappointed that none of these are coming to Android's marketplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Low
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be an awesome port of Samurai!

It's great that high-quality ports of board games are coming out for the iPhone/iPad. I'll continue to support all these efforts with my money! =)

El Grande
Kingdoms
Modern Art
Neuroshima Hex
Ra
Samurai
Through the Desert
Tigris and Euphrates

...and the list goes on!

richmlow
Beta-tester for Samurai (iPhone)

conlan wrote:
Hey everyone!

Samurai, designed by Reiner Knizia, is coming to the app store in August!

Here's a handful of screenshots:

Samurai will support up to 4 players, who can play via hot seat or over the internet!

Samurai will also be a universal app with native iPad support, soon after the initial iPhone release.

For more information and screenshots:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Samurai-App/116067038442686

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/conlan

Space is limited, but we'd love to have some dedicated fans help beta test during this final stretch! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Low
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all due respect...

If you can do better, why don't you?! Rather than criticizing a few screen shots of an upcoming game, can't you be a bit more encouraging?!

mjacobsca wrote:
So in order to allow this low-res, decent looking mobile-phone game to exist for a phone that only a small % of the population owns, we had to give up the incredibly well designed user interface on Mabiweb? I, for one, will not applaud this effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Nies
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Android is not getting ANY love in the gaming market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richmlow wrote:
I can understand your disappointment. However, there are several reasons why cool games don't come out for the Android.

1. In terms of market exposure, sales distribution, etc., the iPhone/iPad platform is awesome.

2. There is rampant software piracy on the Android platform, compared to the iPhone/iPad platform. Why should a developer spend his/her time making a cool app, when it is easily pirated??! While iPhone apps get pirated as well, it is not easy for the "casual" pirate because of the iTunes store.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at some iPhone programming and porting some cool board games. However, I would NEVER bring them over to the Android platform, for the reasons I stated above.

I would recommend that you get an iPhone/iPad if you want to play cool board games on "the go".

richmlow

I never viewed it that way, but from the developer's standpoint, I can see the issues. That said, I have an Android phone... but the iPod Touch works just as well as the iPhone (and I don't have to put up with crappy AT&T service!) I'm having a blast with great board games on the go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Stewart
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Looks good, although at first glance maybe a bit more difficult to make out the pieces compared to the simple and distinct shapes of the originals

Yes please design simple shapes that can be easily distinguished on the small iPhone screen - in general, I thing simple elegance is frequently more effective than overly detailed icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Low
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can testify that it is NOT difficult to make out the pieces on the iPhone screen. The artwork is looking very good!

richmlow
Beta-tester for Samurai

VA-Norm wrote:
Quote:
Looks good, although at first glance maybe a bit more difficult to make out the pieces compared to the simple and distinct shapes of the originals

Yes please design simple shapes that can be easily distinguished on the small iPhone screen - in general, I thing simple elegance is frequently more effective than overly detailed icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
conlan rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, thanks for all the beta-tester replies! I think we have enough now

Stay tuned for more news regarding the release date!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
conlan wrote:
Hey everyone, thanks for all the beta-tester replies! I think we have enough now

Crap! Why do I always get these announcements after work when it's too late and the people surfing all day get to be beta testers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
conlan wrote:

Crap! Why do I always get these announcements after work when it's too late and the people surfing all day get to be beta testers?

The people surfing all day apparently have more time to beta-test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's out now in the US! And it's an absolute masterpiece, the best of the boardgames on the iPhone yet. Get it; you'll be glad you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Installing now. I've never played the game, but I've been enjoying the Knizia games on my ipod touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
conlan rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Reiner Knizia's Samurai now available
Thanks guys, post here for questions! Hope you enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went through the tutorials. Looks good. Made me reconsider buying the Samurai Card game at my FLGS (cards go over more smoothly with my wife than hexes would).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I wonder if there will be a sale?
Currently $4.99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plays very well on the Ipad as well. A lot of fun so far. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.