Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Boardgame on UK TV tonight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read in Time Out this morning that Dragon's Den that's on BBC2 at 8PM will be about a new boardgame. Could be interesting I suppose. Unless it's another clone of TP or something of course.

From the Beeb's web site:
Tonight the multi-millionaire investors are confronted by a new board game, a revolution in dog smell reduction, a seemingly miraculous and lucrative scientific breakthrough and many more ideas.

More info at http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/programme.shtml?day=tod...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
many thanks
alright! please keep US posted on just what it is in case some of US happen to miss this!...and I will dispense a "Reward" donation upon YOU for bringing THIS to our attention, thank you for 'alerting' those of us interested in this in plenty of time.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
same here
oh man! when I first READ that, it was exactly what I thought too, and I wondered if they were going to call it something like "Tiddly & Bits"
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Quote:
alright! please keep US posted on just what it is in case some of US happen to miss this!...and I will dispense a "Reward" donation upon YOU for bringing THIS to our attention, thank you for 'alerting' those of us interested in this in plenty of time.
cool

Many thanks for the geekgold! Totally unexpected, so even more sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destination London
The game was http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15182, being presented to some potential investors by its designer, Rachel Lowe. It's been mentioned before in a Geeklist sometime before Christmas, when a launch at Hamleys toyshop got some coverage in UK newspapers.

It didn't go down well with the investors. It was summed up by the presenter as "when it came down to it, it was Rachel's pitch and not her boardgame that cost her the investment". She was picked up for not appearing to understand the difference between net and gross profit and not knowing what she expected her next year financials to be. However, this was clearly filmed before the Hamleys launch, so perhaps she has managed to line up some funding.

I don't think her game will go down well with the BGG community, seeming to be a roll-the-die, pick-up-the penalty-card journey around London. Admittedly the programme showed very little of the game itself, but what hope is there when, asked how many boardgames are released in the UK in a year, she replied "20".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morriss
England
Loughton
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One winner...
The guy from the truffle farm got £75,000 investment!

(I too was amused by her 20 new games a year comment.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
inconsistant dragons
The problem I had was they criticised her for not having business experience when the week before they were very happy to help some techno geeks who had no business experience and presented themselves as incoherent fools. The behaviour of the business experts is just not consistant.

There were some real faults in her ideas. If the game is supposed to be a souviner of London - how are foriegn tourists going to fit that huge box in their luggage? Foriegn tourists who don't speak English aren't going to be able to play the game at all (no translations) so what is the point?

I was impressed (not) that she thought she could sell 30000 copies a year though. I have no idea how that miracle would be achieved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
well, they're 'English'
Quote:
The guy from the truffle farm got £75,000 investment!

(I too was amused by her 20 new games a year comment.)

wow that will BUY plenty of PIGS for the 'harvesting' process! I should 'suggest' my "Method for cranial extraction from posterior orifice" for them and this is it: by using the 'stick which is already UP their BUTT, to pry their HEADS loose and OUT from that!' It is NOT just because I'd 'favor' the "Game Lady", but more due to because of the 'attitude' that they took with HER in their 'critique' OF her!
"A$$-hats abound as ALL are around, yet NO 'compassion' is there to be found!"
yuk

Many thanks for the updates on this from you fine folk.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin S
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation is the key...
Quote:
they were very happy to help some techno geeks who had no business experience and presented themselves as incoherent fools

I would guess this is because the American investor actually knew about that kind of product. Therefore, he would be able to help them with marketing etc. However, none of the dragons knew about board games.
Also, their invention was generally innovative, whereas the board game seems to be a poor re-hash of a number of "city-licensed" roll and move games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
they were very happy to help some techno geeks who had no business experience and presented themselves as incoherent fools

I would guess this is because the American investor actually knew about that kind of product.

It looked like the investor thought he could exploit people who knew nothing about business but had a product that was potentially a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin S
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed
Quote:
It looked like the investor thought he could exploit people who knew nothing about business but had a product that was potentially a winner.

Good explaination. I would agree with this as well as my point above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.