John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Title speaks for itself, I guess...

My girlfriend is from LA and flies out shortly to visit her folks... I may/may not be going out to join her, depending on work arrangements, but the question is - where is going to be best to stock up on games, which are so much cheaper in the states than here in the UK. I'll be looking for various games I currently play on BSW: Lost cities, TA, PR, SJ, together with some larger strat games such as War of the Ring. My GF says she knows a couple of good places, but she isn't a real gamegeek, and may be unaware of a few good spots. Recommendations much welcomed.

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I lived in the LA area for almost 30 years - last 2 in Dallas, TX. Don't get your hopes up - LA is dead when it comes to boardgame stores. The only one I can think of is The War House located at 630 W Willow St, Long Beach, CA. Long Beach is about 25 minutes south of downtown LA. The place is a real small place but does have a lot of games - not just wargames. Although, don't expect good prices - you'd be better off just buying off the many game websites (funagain.com, fairplay.com, gamesurplus.com, bouldergames.com, etc.). Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you expect form a Texan?
All Star Games in Diamond Bar.
Game Arena in Cerritos. (I'm in a club at this one that meets on Tuesday nights.)
Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove.
Game Castle in Fullerton.

Since I live in Orange Count (SE of LA) my list is biased in that direction.

There is a lot of gaming going on the SoCal area. Check out the SoCal Games Day (euros) and SoCal Gamers (wargames).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Donnelly
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LA Stores
Gotta disagree a bit. There are some good stores in LA. The War Room in Long Beach is good, but so is the Last Grenadier in Burbank, and Aero Hobbies in Santa Monica.

But if you want to really, really save, I would order games from either thoughthammer.com (free shipping over $100) or fariplaygames.com (aggressive price matching) and have the games you want sent to your girlfriend's parents' place.

However, coming from the UK, the prices in the stores are low enough to send you into shock. Your heart may not be able to take what we can get games online for.

Come on out. The weather's great.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few links if you wish to visit some of the better local shops that carry TGOO:

The Last Grenadier - 820 N. Hollywood Way in Burbank. (818)848-9144
The Game Zone - 2302 E. Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena. (626)30-GAMES
All-Star Games - 2773 S. Diamond Bar Blvd. in Diamond Bar. (909)598-4700 www.allstargames.com
The Game Castle - 2514 E. Chapman Ave. in Fullerton. (714)871-5800
Game Arena - 11312 South St. in Cerritos. (562)403-2100 www.gamearena-store.com
Brookhurst Hobbies - 12188 Brookhurst St. in Garden Grove. (714)636-3580 www.brookhursthobbies.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
These days I find it hard to justify buying in local game stores. Why pay $45 for a game when you can get it for $25 online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do the math, you often find that you're not saving all that much in many instances... Sure, a website might have a $45 game listed for $25, but if you're JUST ordering that one game, you may be paying a chunk of change for shipping.

On top of that, sometimes you just want a game here-and-now... You don't want to wait a week to get it in your hands. When I walk into my local B&M, I browse the shelves, read the backs of the boxes, talk to the guys behind the counter and walk out with games under my arm that I can play that night.

And I know of some shops that offer discounts... For example, at The Last Grenadier here in Burbank, if you present your ID badge from the most recent Strategicon event, you get 10% off your purchase.

Now granted, if you can wait a few days for a shipment and if you are ordering more than one game, online is, without a doubt, the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is it a big city thing..?
that none of these shops are actually in LA? (sorry to Burbank etc.)

Is this the case in most big cities that you have to go to outlying 'Burbs to find game shops? (note the term suburb may not apply in the strictest sense)

Just wondering if this is an LA thing (due to cost of shops, or the local people's interest in gaming), a big city thing or just a random thing. (with UCLA and USC being pretty big schools, I'd figure more game shops, or at some in LA proper)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to be honest, L.A. "proper" is the central core with the high-rises and such. That part of town more or less closes up at the end of the work day and becomes a bit of a ghost town at night. Also, the few businesses that one finds in the heart of the city are really only those that cater to those working in said high-rises: computer shops, office supply stores, newstands, restaurants, etc.

I've lived in the L.A. area now for 12 years and I've only gone downtown, maybe 15-20 times, if that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.