Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: question to cosmic encounter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Hasbro edition of cosmic encounter. A friend of mine offered me the Mayfair expansion More Cosmic Encounter and I am wondering if it can be used with the Hasbro version.

Friends of mine have the original eon edition of the basic game and the west end games edition - can either of them be combined with More Cosmic, or do I need the Mayfair edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
The different versions are fairly non-interchangeable ... different rule clarifications, card sizes, artwork and more. The hasbro version is by far the weakest, in my opinion. The Mayfair version is one of the games I rate a 10, and I would prefer to play a 5-6 player game of Cosmic Encounter more than just about any other game at any time.

If you can get the Mayfair version and More Cosmic along with it, consider it a blessing -- grab 'em while you can, they're not always easy to come by!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy things to use:
-big load of alien powers (make a dice-roll table, or program your calculator if you're as nerdy as me, if you want to pick randomly)
-lucre (because, heck, all you need are counters
-card deck: maybe it has all the cards you have, maybe not, I can't remember. If anything you could change the numbers on the Attack cards so that you could use the flares that are included. Lots of people prefer the Eon-style flares, though - I'm not sure how much rewording, if any, would be necessary to use those flares with the Eon rules. And of course, Mayfair rules would do fine, too. None of the listed editions have compatible card decks, but I think MCE has a big enough one to modify to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.