Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: GeekGold Exchange Rates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on Soren Due's auction, here is a rough exchange rate for GeekGold...

Lost Cities sold for 60gg. At full retail, it sells for $23.00 (source: Funagain). That would set the price at 1 US dollar = 2.6gg, but the actual Funagain price is $18 which would make it 1 US dollar = 3.33gg. Factor in shipping etc. and let's average it out to 1 US dollar = 3gg.

So 1gg =

0.18 U.K. pounds
0.25 EUROs
0.33 US dollars
0.41 Canadian dollars
0.43 Australian dollars
3.72 Mexican new pesos
33.95 Japanese yen
340.43 South Korean wons

goldencamel goldencamel goldencamel

To put it another way: the value of an avatar is currently 10 US dollars.

[No, I don't have anything better to do with my time.]

bag bag bag bag bag

UPDATE:
Here are the transactions that I know of...

1 US Dollar =

0.25gg
0.28gg
0.33gg
2.00gg
0.20gg
-------
Average = 0.61gg
However, the 2.00gg transaction was a charity gift, so if we throw it out, the currant rate of exchange is...

1 US Dollar = 0.26gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Due Pedersen
Denmark
Rødovre
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Why
My idea with this auction was to try to get more people to do this kind of thing, because of the few things you can actually use GG for once you have an avatar and a badge. The only problem is that auctioning of games for GG does not happen very often.

I'm just wondering if this idea would work???

What do y'all think????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
GG auctions
I think auctions for GG is a great idea and would love to see more. In fact, we won such a GG auction last month. Hope more people follow your trend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another tab...
Maybe a more permanent solution for auctions-by-GG could be created? With a tab next to 'Market' showing the running auction threads.

Incidently, there's also Colin Parker's auction thread to establish GG exchange rates.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekjournal.php3?action=viewcom...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
But is the value of geekgold constant?

I imagine in the early days of the site, geekgold was more plentiful, as many 'bigger' games still didn't have reviews and photos and even, in some cases, game entires. As time goes on, pickings grow slim (and the mega-backlog of game entry approvals isn't helping) ... one could contend that it takes more effort to get 30 geekgold today than it was two years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GG inflation?
Larry -

Also factor in that I "bought" a Ticket to Ride Mystery Train Expansion (Average eBay value from the last month ~13.91) for 57 GG a couple of weeks ago. By my calculation, that pegs GG at approximately $.25 apiece, so I have 1 US dollar = 4gg. But that also doesn't factor in the several crapwagon games I bought at thrift stores for $.50 apiece just so I could add them to the database and take pictures to earn that geekgold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right about greek gold hard to get than it was. Granted I haven't been here for long, but I feel silly writing a review when a game already has 10 good reviews, just so I can get some GG. (or insert picture in the above sentence). But I would like to get avitar.

I was thinking... it would be nice if some of the wealthier BGG members could figure out a good way to help us newbies pick up some GG. Especially since they have no better use for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you get that from Shawn_low? I messaged him & have heard nothing. If he sold it, he needs to take the item down.[q]Larry -

Also factor in that I "bought" a Ticket to Ride Mystery Train Expansion (Average eBay value from the last month ~13.91) for 57 GG a couple of weeks ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to add that I sold two Mystery Train Expansions for 30 and 75 GG. Using the $13.71 price tag for MTE, that makes it 3.83 GG = 1 US Dollar. Which, reminds me, I need to mail another one off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I traded a copy of Sackson's Gamut of Games for 25 GG.
YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carey
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting. I hadn't seen this journal entry until just now, but I recently traded a PR Expansion for 30 geekgold. The expansion was $5, and it'll cost me $1 or so for the padded mailer and shipping. That would make the exchange rate for this transaction $1 = 5GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.