Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: makes me want to cry... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went over to visit a friend yesterday ,whose new girlfriend and her crazy 4 year old have just moved in
and they have been in the flat with them for 2 weeks .(Don't ask !!! they're faces look like
vietnam vets in the jungle , hunted amd haunted , ready to break any minute , bad tension)

Whilst trying trying to please the little dahling
I glanced up at his game shelf and my eyes wandered along it ....toy plane.....toy truck ahh board games
...flying pigs mmmmm ludo ...mmm a word game and WHAT!! ....reiner knizia's SAMURAI!!! what the hell!! unopened in plastic !!

It was explained that it was the mothers , the kid had never paid it any attention before
(werid considering how big it is) , she had won it 7 YEARS before and had never opened it showing NO curiosity
or interest in it at all oh dear.But she kept it

I got permission to open it up and show them the contents ,and as I was lending them lost cities & kahuna to keep
them amused and they had this all the time I found this amusing !!!

Any other horror tales of games unopened and untouched by uncaring folk or family?
At least I saved this poor game from a horrid fate of being made and never opened cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I got permission to open it up and show them the contents.

But... but...
Do you know how much they could have sold it for on eBay?
wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they didn't care...
which seems kinda werid.....
"ebay who cares" said she

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
yes, and very many too
Well Paul, I happen to have some of those such as a copy of the 'O'riginal 'Battleline' version of "Naval Wars" and it was in the original 'shrinkwrap' but that is warping the gamebox due to its 'age' so I may have to FREE it from that to keep it from doing this any further. I also have a copy of the 3M game of "Phlounder" encased in 'plastic' although I can't imagine IT being the 'original' from way back in 1962 since THAT is the 'date' on mine, of which I obtained it from an eBay auction. I even had a copy of "Mutant Chronicles-Siege of the Citadel" that I traded recently, that was STILL in its 'shrinkwrap', of which I had this for years before trading it recently. I will even be looking for others but I am tempted to OPEN them up in order to check them out to make sure they are fine inside. It is really nice to find them like this but you need to KNOW if they are alright inside and that 'ruins' the 'uniqueness' of this.
cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
that was about the time the professor threw chalk at me and I woke up.

Damn you! I was hanging on every word!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen broadbent
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Magic Cards
You know I had that exact same dream last night!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fearfully cruel that was
Ohh very nasty joke yuk

no dinner for you tonight browsing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Tiny,

Your's is a sad tale no doubt. But look at the bright side. You were like some fabled archeologist uncovering a long lost treasure.

It's not like you found them using it to train dogs or anything.

Now for a sad story. When Sid Sackson died, his relatives . . . despite pleas to keep his massive collection of games together in a museum or some such ( first runs, prototypes, unreleased works in progress, and signed editions by the world's best designers). . . they sold them off, one at a time on eBay.

Maybe one of us will find Sackson's prototype of Acquire on a shelf one day?

Sweet dreams

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the Sackson Sell-Off
I was doing a lot of wargame buying on eBay at the time when all of the Sackson stuff was posted, a bit at a time. Sad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.