United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

From the card list, and without playing any games, yet, I get the impression that:

1) Prosperity WILDLY challenges the institutionalized cost ratios and alters the game in a major way.
2) With that note, Prosperity redefines the game as a higher-scoring, higher-money incarnation of itself, and changes very little in terms of mechanics and strategy concepts.

Am I right, or do all these people who are lambasting the Colony and Platinum have a point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
I am going to wait to play before delivering a review of the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:

2) With that note, Prosperity redefines the game as a higher-scoring, higher-money incarnation of itself, and changes very little in terms of mechanics and strategy concepts.

8/25 of the cards (the treasures) introduce a process that radically alters your buy phase, so much that how the buy phase works had to be clarified from what everyone is used to.

We have a reaction that is not (necessarily) triggered by an attack

We have a kingdom card that adjusts *itself* in price based on your play this turn. (Peddler)

We have a kingdom card that has a purchase limitation based on how you play your turn. (Grand Market)

We have a card that changes what it does based on the state of empty piles in the game. (City)

And we have 2 kingdom cards that allow you to acquire points that aren't associated with any cards in your deck.

Nope... absolutely no new concepts in this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Loviska

Zeeland
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, every expansion for Dominion adds something different.

Intrigue- you can get cards that let you choose actions and victory-action cards

Seaside- duration cards and play mats and tokens

Alchemy- new treasure that you need to buy most of the kingdom cards in that set

So it really shouldn't be a shocker that Prosperity adds something new to the game that wasn't there before. I think the biggest thing is the coins for points. I'll wait to play it before making a decision on if it's a step in the right direction, but the new cards I saw do look pretty neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Smolinski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
karrde wrote:
metzgerism wrote:

8/25 of the cards (the treasures) introduce a process that radically alters your buy phase, so much that how the buy phase works had to be clarified from what everyone is used to.

We have a reaction that is not (necessarily) triggered by an attack

We have a kingdom card that adjusts *itself* in price based on your play this turn. (Peddler)

We have a kingdom card that has a purchase limitation based on how you play your turn. (Grand Market)

We have a card that changes what it does based on the state of empty piles in the game. (City)

And we have 2 kingdom cards that allow you to acquire points that aren't associated with any cards in your deck.

Nope... absolutely no new concepts in this set.

LOL.laugh Great post! And it's actually 3 Kingdom cards that allow you to get VPs. Goons, Bishop, and Monument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, everyone

I think that my point was a little lost in how I asked the original question: looking at the cards, it FEELS like Prosperity is "Dominion with 4 types of basic treasure/victory cards instead of 3," and everything simply works around that general idea.

Does that feel the same to you (if you've played it)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chen
msg tools
I would say it feels quite true, with the exception that the effect of treasure is an entirely new concept. That I figured is the major change of the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Novak
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Don't forget also:
There are cards that allow you to utilize bought stuff right away (ok, from the next turn onwards...), and cards that allow you to gain lots of free stuff depending on clever play (Talisman, Hoard...).

So far, I like it, it's an intelligent neat set, I like it more than Alchemy for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone

I think that my point was a little lost in how I asked the original question: looking at the cards, it FEELS like Prosperity is "Dominion with 4 types of basic treasure/victory cards instead of 3," and everything simply works around that general idea.

Does that feel the same to you (if you've played it)?

I can perhaps see it if there are none of the VP Chip cards or the treasures. But the ratios of that are generally unlikely.

I played a game yesterday where I wasn't even too worried about VP cards except as a means of holding points till I could Bishop them. King's Court + Bishop lead me to a win with half of my victory points sitting on my VP mat. I was seriously considering Bishoping a colony at one point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.