Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: convince me to buy Ys rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$45 is a little overwhelming but i really like the look and the reviews are good. can anybody convince me it's worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only dabbled in the game since I got it a couple weeks ago. I won't make a formal review until I've played quite a bit more.

The game is very interesting. I bought it almost on first sight just from the way it looks. The rules are fairly well done (see my comments on BGG Ys page for my changes to black gem rules), but the rulebook itself should have been layed out differently. The board is nice quality, except for the scoring track. The wooden pieces are not bad, but considering that they must be indistinguishable during play (if face down), they really needed to be painted better (same problem as Columbia block games). The ceramic gems, although better than average pieces, were disappointing to me. They are dirty and scratched on 1 side, and not all the same shape and thickness. Lastly, the box has no insert, so all the stuff just gets dumped in there (see Mayfair's T&E).

Positives: The game is good. If you want to play it and support a promising new company, go ahead. Read the online rules to see how the game plays.

Negatives: The game is not physically worth the cost. From a large publisher, it might only be $35 with an insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb

If you like bluffing or blind bidding games, this is a pretty good one. It has an interesting bidding mech, in that half of your bigging information is known, the other half is hidden(bluff). It's a solid game, where you can take several paths to victory. It is very math intensive, and can lead to a bit of analysis paralysis with the wrong people. All progression of each player is open, so you can see where you stand, which sometimes makes AP even worse in games. I liked it, the components are good, it's a limited run, a brain burner, and it's fun.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William (Andy) Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Save a few bucks...
I've played Y's and it's a darn good game. Looking at your games owned list I see you don't have Princes of Florence, Power Grid and Maharaja which all cost about half of what Y's costs, and are just as good if not better. Take care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i enjoy power grid but don't feel the need to buy it because a friend owns it. played princes of florence and didn't really like it, amun-re does for me what i get out of that game much better. maharaja is a little on the ugly side so i haven't looked to deeply into picking it up. maybe i'll look more into that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ys
I was initially interested in Ys, but decided to go with Aladdin's Dragons instead. It's substantially cheaper, with a similar mechanic and better integrated theme. I know they aren't exactly the same, but they have quite a few similarities. Just read the AD page and see if it sounds interesting to you.

ObSmilies - limecamelninjazombiearrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too
I am in the same boat, but now I am thinking about picking up WoTR instead sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I am in the same boat, but now I am thinking about picking up WoTR instead sauron

WoTR and Ys are on opposite ends of the spectrum of gaming there, two entirely different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
While not a bad game, Ys certainly isn't a great game. The blind bidding is semi-informed. which is at least better than straight blind bidding, but it _is_ still blind bidding if you don't like that sort of thing (and I don't). The game is also a bit under-developed. In particular the gem value market mechanic tends to (an is easy to) degenerate, especially in a three player game, thus moving all the real activity to the city and making the blind bidding problem even worse.

Ys is a credible first publication from a new designer and develoment team. That doesn't make it worth the premium prices currently being charged for it. If you're interested in small print run new designer games City & Guilds (released at Essen 2004) is a cheaper and more interesting choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kruijt
Netherlands
Eindhoven
NBr
flag msg tools
This overtext intentionally left blank.
badge
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess Aladdin's Dragons is also published by a US based firm. Due to the current exchange rate (and the fact that Aladdin's Dragons goes OOP in at least the Netherlands), makes that Ys is substantially more expensive in the US. In Europe Ys and Aladdin's Dragons go for €31 and €34 respectively, although Aladdin's Dragons can currently be bought for €20 or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a pass on Ys because I have and love Aladdin's Dragons and basically decided that from what I read I didn't want a game that works much the same but not quite as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.