Jessica Block
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I am looking for games I can play with my non-reading 6 year old son during the day and perhaps play 2 player with my husband later after bedtime. I know, a tough bill. My son can handle strategy and math/scoring.

My son loves Catan (and he is the ONLY person to beat me, and I wasn't being nice, either) but I don't enjoy it 2 player that much. He is burned out on plain vanilla Carc. Based on the boards, I was thinking about Zooloretto / Aquaretto / Coloretto; OR beefing up Carc with I&C or T&B; OR Dominion - but I am worried it may be too text dependent.

What would you do? What don't I know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bone
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cribbage will fit the bill if he can add to 15 and 31. My wife and I love it. And it's cheap. I find the best, most clearly presented rules at pagat dot com. Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He definitely could handle Zooloretto/Aquaretto and they are fun, light strategy games.

You may want to consider dice games such as Can't Stop or Reiner Knizia's Decathlon. They can be made yourself easily to try and see if you like them.

More strategy games may include Through the Desert, Battle Line (although due to reading you'd just not use the tactics cards).

Another direction are abstracts such TZAAR.

A classic mid-level strategy game is Ticket to Ride.

All of these would be fun with your husband and except Tzaar can be played either 2 or 3 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoridor is great because you can handicap the game when playing with kids. Just give them some of your walls.

Blokus Duo is good 2 player game that kids can easily understand.

My kids have also had fun with Forbidden Island.

Oh, you could also try FITS

If the 3 of you all wanted to play together, Circus Flohcati is one of our family's favorites.

I just asked my 6 year old what he likes to play. The games that he mentioned that you can play with 2 players are TZAAR and Animal Upon Animal and Mamma Mia!

Edit: 2 that we just bought, but haven't had the chance to try out with the kids yet are Finca and Railways of the World: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the simple Gipf games such as Yinsh and Dvonn. Few rules, no reading, but tons of strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride sounds pretty great for you and your son. My 7 year old daughter plays it pretty well. The base game is pretty good with two, but there are a couple of other versions that are designed for 2 or 3 players so maybe you should check them out also.

Another good one (that was recommended above) is Through the Desert. A favorite for my daughter and me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Block
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the suggestions. I already have TtR, which he likes and we play modified, I help him read all the destinations and share mine as well so we play even.

I haven't even heard of half of these games so it looks like I have some fun reading ahead of me! Thanks to all who chimed in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
United States
Fairfax
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a seven year old daughter who likes to play games as well.

some mentioned before
Zooloretto
Quoridor
Ticket to Ride

Have been popular at various times

Other favorites include
Beowulf: The Movie Board Game
(also a great math lesson)
Beowulf: The Legend
Battle Line
Pandemic
Cave Troll
Hey, That's My Fish!

are frequently asked for

a couple others that she likes be may be too much at this time, but you can look to the future, right?
Queen's Necklace
and
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery

Though her favorite right now is

Formula D

And she will run 3 cars so it is a little more congested. Great simple game that has a large appeal for kids.

I'll also plug another game that we use, but not as a competitive game per se is
Scrabble Slam!
helps reading. I hate word games though so it gets no other play than working on the words.

EDIT - to add more suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If math is a strong point, you may want to try Numbers League: Adventures in Addiplication (and Expansion).

It may not be all that fun for the adults, especially when it reminds them why they use calculators, but the kids have a blast.

There is text on the hero card pieces ~ you put three cards together to make a hero ~ but it's just a one-word portion of their name, and isn't necessary to play the game, although my son makes us wait to put the game away until he has a chance to read them all.

He likes some of the age-appropriate stuff ~ like Spooky Stairs, Gulo Gulo, and The Magic Labyrinth ~ but he's also enjoyed abstracts like Chess, Abagio, and GIPF as well as Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas (which does have text, in Latin no less, although the cards can be played visually) and his current favorite, The Pillars of the Earth (which needs some reading, although things can be memorized, or, with the event & privilege cards, read to him.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 5 and 6 year olds love Agricola. The family style without cards works really well, and it's providing a good incentive to them for reading improvement.

It also plays well 2-5 players, I've done quite a few games with my wife. So I'd put it way up there.

Blokus is another good one that plays well two player and kids like, quite a bit lighter.

A few more dexterity games, which we play include Villa Paletti and Pitch Car, there's also one with a clown in addition to animal upon animal. These mix it up.

Coloretto and Mama Mia our two others our kids like, but I don't think they really play 2 player either. I love Through the Desert as well, and I guess it works 2 player, but my wife and I normally break out more in depth stuff when it's just us. I've also heard of 6-9 year olds playing Power Grid, which all of this is Kid dependent.

All of the other games we play with the kids are lighter, like Tsuro, Amazeing Labrynth, Uptown which we play with the littler 3 year old. So I think we're stuck with Agricola when it comes out for awhile, which I'm okay with .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Abrunhosa
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keltis
Big Points
Level X
Tiki Topple
Numeri
Hooop!
Armorica
Blokus
Make'n'Brake
Wilde Wikinger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try:

Ingenious
Lost Cities
Can't Stop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are up to doing a Print and Play game, you might try my Wend-loop and Wend-edge. Both tile laying, but different to Carc. Wend-edge, in particular, can get quite aggressive, as one of the things you can do is mess up the tiles your opponent can draw from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.