Subject: HIGH UP ON A FENCE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm high up on a fence, unable to reach the ground on either side and as there is a splinter in my butt, I would love for someone to help me down.

Yes, I am indeed considering the purchase of this game.

When I saw it I immedeatly wanted to have this.
I don't have any experience in block games but wanted to buy me one.
So far that's another fence I'm on, as there are so many blockgames.

So what made me decide than I wanted this one rather than put it on a list with the other wargames and pick one.

Well what immedeatly drew my attention was the different blocks.
Usually these are the square thingies, but this game comes with long rectangles, wich when placed on the board problably provide you with as close an areal view, as you would have had, had you flown over the real battle field.
Long lines of infantry.

What also attracted me was the great quality everybody who disaggrees on liking it or not, tends to aggree upon.
I love a game with quality components, I think it adds to the fun of a game if at least the components are vallue for money.

So why haven't I bought it than.
Well, truth be told after reading all the reviews and opinons on this game I don't know what to think about it.
Some people like it, others don't and I'm torn between to sets of strangers who all have their own opinion, leaving me with the difficult task to find out if I would like it or not.

To me, not knowing diddly about this or any blockgame, it seems very limiting that it is just about this one battle.

Is it a game which I will still enjoy in a few months, or will I by than be so bored by it, I wish I'd jumped head first off my fence.
I'm not sure what to think and maybe you now tell me off and say I should have read all the reviews etc. more closer, but after a while they all become a blur of yes and nos and everybody is an expert and knows best..

I wish there was a more visual aid to help me decide, some video showing the game actually being played and explained at the same time.

But sofar I found a video telling me what is in the box, which is a nice idea I reckon, but truth be told putting it on video is slightly exagerated. I mean a written list would have sufficed.
Some other videos were even less helpfull.

Showing people who were 'about to play the game'.
Oh nice footage of the map and the pieces, but could somebody please sit down and start moving pieces, instead of just announcing the attention to do so at some later stage.

It is a bit frustrating.
And while I sit here on my fence, slowly feeling a cramp coming on in bodyparts not to be mentioned in detail, I hope someone will step up and either hand me a pillow or some good advise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

When I saw it I immedeatly wanted to have this.
I don't have any experience in block games but wanted to buy me one.
So far that's another fence I'm on, as there are so many blockgames.

Napoleon's Triumph is completely different from all the other blockgames (i.e. your typical Columbia game). You should give it a try, but not draw any conclusions from it about other blockgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei Gartinski
Jordan
Amman
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely a game to try BEFORE you buy. I own and tried to play its predecessor, Bonaparte at Marengo many times, but until now I cannot even figure the correct way of moving various corps by road...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments on the comments:

etagimbo wrote:
Napoleon's Triumph is completely different from all the other blockgames (i.e. your typical Columbia game). You should give it a try, but not draw any conclusions from it about other blockgames.

Absolutely true.

alexeigartinski wrote:
I own and tried to play its predecessor, Bonaparte at Marengo many times, but until now I cannot even figure the correct way of moving various corps by road...

Have you looked at Garry Haggerty's excellent BaM Road Move Diagram?

theredtree wrote:
For some reason I love Bonaparte at Marengo but Napoleon's Triumph makes me sleepy. I've played them both a dozen times but BaM is just so much more exciting to me than NT.

That's an interesting reaction, and one I haven't heard before. NT seems, to me at least, far more likely to lead to pyrotechnics and dramatic action. I love BaM as well, but it seems the quieter, more mannered game in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
What Sphere said.

In addition, no, limiting it to one battle doesn't diminish the playability; at least, it hasn't for me. Between the hidden information and relatively small variance of unit strengths, I find that it takes more mental and emotional fortitude to play this game than so many others, and after each game, win or lose, I'm thinking of what to try next time. The map is large enough to try just about any plan of maneuver you like, and though you're limited in where you can start your corps, you have few limits in what forces you put in each one.

Also, I haven't played another game that shows so well how a battle can start with such well-organized corps and ends with such disarray as commands come apart.

I hope this helps! Helps convince you to buy it, that is. devil

Edit: frakkin' typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments on the original question:

sagitar wrote:
I love a game with quality components, I think it adds to the fun of a game if at least the components are vallue for money.

You'll be hard pressed to match NT's quality with anything else. Bowen takes great care with the physical presentation; the map with no folds on the surface, the extra set of rules, the metal unit standards, every detail is executed beautifully.

sagitar wrote:
Some people like it, others don't and I'm torn between to sets of strangers who all have their own opinion, leaving me with the difficult task to find out if I would like it or not.

As somebody else pointed out, the only way to know that is to try it for yourself.

sagitar wrote:
To me, not knowing diddly about this or any blockgame, it seems very limiting that it is just about this one battle.

In my view, that's not an issue at all. Many great games deal with a single battle, or a single campaign. One great situation is better than half a dozen mediocre ones. I've recorded 45 plays of BaM, and I think it has less replayability than NT, which has more avenues of advance, more varied win conditions, one day and two day scenarios, and the multi-player option.

sagitar wrote:
I'm not sure what to think and maybe you now tell me off and say I should have read all the reviews etc. more closer, but after a while they all become a blur of yes and nos and everybody is an expert and knows best.

There isn't a right or wrong answer - people can only tell you why the game does or does not work for them. I'm sure that if you took the time to look, you could find both favorable and unfavorable reviews and comments for most any game you want to research.

sagitar wrote:
Oh nice footage of the map and the pieces, but could somebody please sit down and start moving pieces, instead of just announcing the attention to do so at some later stage.

Have you seen this session report? It is lavishly illustrated, and leads off with a 2 minute video.

sagitar wrote:
And while I sit here on my fence, slowly feeling a cramp coming on in bodyparts not to be mentioned in detail, I hope someone will step up and either hand me a pillow or some good advise.

I don't honestly see how anyone can tell you something that will solve your dilemma. Some, myself included, feel that NT is a brilliant game, one of the best ever, while others are left utterly cold when they try it. I have no idea which camp you'd fall in. If you haven't done so, I'd suggest you browse Bowen's Design Diaries. They may give you some insight that helps you decide one way or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that Snowman has posted another session report that includes a video just today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out.

I enjoyed watching those reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freddy, I have lived in Groningen, not so far from where you live, and I know that there are not that many fellow gamers around in those parts of Nederland.
NT is a fantastic game, but there is little solo-playing fun in it, as opposed to dice-controlled games, so I think whether you should get NT versus another game, depends whether you have an opponent.
It would be a shame to get this game just to put it on the shelf, so without an oppoent, invest in a game that is exciting solo also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Larsen.
I'm hoping to get my 12 year old interested, would be fun to learn the game together.

I allready have my mind set on buying this great solo game Omaha Beach.
I'm very exited about it, as it looks like great fun to me.

If I like it I may also go for this chaps, oh can't remember his name now, other games.

He also made RAF, but maybe that is so very different, not sure yet.
and I think he has allready created or is working on yet another game.

Groningen, typical student town, I once tried to join a games club there. They were involved in table top miniature battles at the time and I was invited to come to one of their evenings so they could demonstrate game play to me.
At said night they than informed me that it was unfortunate but no games would be played that evening.
So I was very disappointed and gave up on it.
If you're going to make a long drive for it, the group should be reliable.

I think they were called Rabenhaupt, maybe you knew them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never tried Omaha Beach or RAF, but should both be great.

Concerning Groningen, I did my PhD at the university, and therefore never really had time to play games, unfortunately - only had time to buy them...

I do remember that there was a game-club, but as far as I remember it was called Walrus, but that may have been the name of the place and not the club. It was in a side-street between Vismarkt and Zuiderdiep.

What you can do, is to try to arrange a game with some of them (if they have a site) before going there.

Succes! (in dutch)
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gratie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.