Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GEMINI Regroup/Intermediate

Chooses Between Two Powers

You have the power of two faces. Game Set-Up: You get two extra power cards. The Flares of the powers are put into the deck.

At the start of each encounter use this power to choose which of the two extra power cards you will use for the encounter. You use the chosen power for the encounter as appropriate for that power.

History: The Gemini are known to have a split personality. One moment they are your best friend, the next your worst enemy. While some Gemini may favor one personality over the other, they know the value of two minds being better than one.

FLARE

Regroup
Wild: Draw a power from the unused powers. You may use it instead of your own power for the rest of the encounter. At the end of the encounter, discard it or keep it to discard your original power instead.

Regroup
Super: You may use both powers this encounter.

Commentary: This is a meta-power from the Astrology series of powers created by bunnythor. I don't recall who created the History and Flare. I did make a slight change to the power. I made the decision to choose a power to happen at Regroup instead of Destiny as bunnythor had it to allow the player to use powers that happen during Regroup. The power is not much different from Reincarnator or Pentaform and has a similarity to Hybrid. It's simply another way for a player to use more than one power in a game.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Way too powerful. More powerful than any single power in the game, including Pentaform and Reincarnator. If you have one power that is only used as Offense and one that's only used as a non-main player, you essentially have two powers to everyone else's one. Likewise for two powers that apply in any two mutually exclusive conditions.

"I have an N in my hand, so I'll be Pacifist for this encounter."
"I don't have an N in my hand, so I'll be Virus for this encounter."

"It's not my turn, so I'll be Dictator, Boomerang, Siren, Demon, Parasite, etc., for this encounter."
"It is my turn, so I'll be Will, Machine, Leviathan, Spiff, etc., for this encounter."

"I have lousy cards, so I'll be Loser, Tripler, Anti-Matter, Philanthropist, Trader, Sorceror, etc., for this encounter."
"I have good cards, so I'll be Clone, Mutant, etc., for this encounter."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could have:

Zombie/Vacuum
Healer/Shadow
Healer/Warpish
Pacifist/Hacker

If you think this is powerful, wait to you see Replicant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
Or you could have:

Zombie/Vacuum
Healer/Shadow
Healer/Warpish
Pacifist/Hacker

Any one of those combos for the Gemini is no less powerful than having just one of those two powers. And in many cases is better than having the one power.

For example, if you're the Zombie/Vacuum, you can just pick one and be that one all the time, so you're at least as powerful as the Zombie *or* the Vacuum. And if fact, you're more powerful, since you could be the Zombie most of the time, except when you don't have any ships in the warp, when you can be the Vacuum, so you never have more than say 4 ships in the Warp, which all come back out fairly quickly through Regroup and Rewards, without ever causing any serious problem for you, so you're not really any worse off than the Zombie would be, and in the mean time, you do a little extra damage to the other players with the Vacuum once in a while.

It's a bad idea. And if you're telling me that the Replicant is worse, then what the heck is the point? It takes no real skill to come up with a bad idea for an alien. Or an obviously unbalanced power. There's no point in keeping an obviously bad idea in the collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't happen to think Gemini is a terrible power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.