Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Draft Standard for BGG Code of Ethics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Please find enclosed a draft standard governing the behaviour and accepted practices of a BoardGame Geek (BGG) member. Comments are welcome before the final draft is submitted to the governing council of gamers.

I, IGOR(insert real name here), do uphold the principles and honor of a board game player. I will not collude against a fellow player who is winning a game. By collusion, I will not persuade other players to gang up on said leader, or suggest moves for them that will aid my cause. I will uphold the practices of fair play. If someone beats me in a game, I will be a fair and honorable person, saying things like "Good game", even though I may not actually mean it.

As a BGG member, I abide by the following rules:

1) I will not write false or fictitious session reports

2) I will honestly rate all games that I play and will not falsely rate games to either inflate a game or decrease it's rating if it appears a designer is falsely rating his own game, especially if said designer is from Canada (Editors note: Canada is busy with trying to pass a same sex marriage bill. Please bother the gamers from Canada another time when they are not so occupied, and they will take care of their own rogue raters.)

3) In addition, if I am a designer or publisher of games, I will not lash out bitterly at people who rate my games, be the ratings low or mediocore. I will not create other account names or recruit "friends" to sing the praises of my game.

4) I will not support games of dubious moral value or title (eg Up Against the Wall, Mischievous Fairy)

5) I will not add extraneous emoticons to my postings, emoticons like sauron or zombie, even if they are cool.

6) I promise to spread the gospel of gaming to my friends and co-workers, even if it is embarrasing to me.

7) I will not get in a protracted conflict with someone here at BGG, conflicts which are usually hilarious to other BGG members.

8) I will not rate other geeks.

9) I will endeavour to support the administrators of BGG with money, or failing that, support with material or content, which maybe of dubious value

10)I will not put session reports in journal postings, nor will I put a one game geeklist together.

If any of these principles or ethics have been broken, the accused will be stripped of their BGG membership, or taken to Denmark, where justice maybe administered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denmark?!
I will never be taken to Denmark! robot

Oops, I'm sorry - an emoticon in my comment - I can explain! I didn't do it! I will NOT go to Denmark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeklist of great reports!!

1. Session report for caravan (busen memo special edition)

4 players:

arrrh (me), ninja, sauron, robot

ninja started the game very quickly. Easily taking the lead as sauron, robot, and arrrh fought over the middle of the board. Then ninja was ganged up on for most the rest of the game, and we all started yelling at other. robot rated ninja a 3 immediately, and ninja retalliated by getting a few freinds ( devil, kiss, gulp, goldencamel, zombie, meeple, and ) to rate robot a 2, and speak badly about every game he also liked to play.

The game resumed at this point and sauron began to show some strength one of the corners of the board, much to the dismay or robot , and arrrh . But then all of our co-workers came into the room and we all made sure to hide the busen memo caravan pieces because we were all embarrased. Each of us was certain we personally would win the game so we all chalked it up as a win, but arrrh robot , and sauron rated ninja 's report a 1.2 and took turns kicking his dog in the chin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tounge in Cheek, I'm sure . . .
But who determines the moral value of game? I'll only agree to #4 if I get to decide the moral value of any game! (I do condone games like UATWMF and Busen Memo.) laugh

It's easy to tell the computer programmers from the non computer programmers. Computer programmers understand that a list may contain ZERO or more items. Non computer programmers still labor under the false notion that a list must contain two or more items. So I cannot support #10 either.

Very little is off topic for a Journal entry. Trade requests, Session reports, etc. are all valid journal topics. Another reason I cannot support item #10. cool

Offered tounge in cheek, as I hope the original journal entry was. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I think it was self evident that every day we pick a new moral officer from the BGG ranks, and that user then is responsible for declaring what is, and is not, immoral for the day. All the decisions of that officer must be ratified at a special bi-weekly council requiring a 2/3rd majority.

goldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tongue Definitely in Cheek
Igor,
Looks like we have the first four volunteers to Denmark. Take their bag and load them on the ...
No! Igor! No!

Leo: Hope you like Copenhagen.

Curt: That's pretty funny.

Kim: I had to get the dictionary out and look up "condone".

Eddie P: Will add your suggestion to draft standard:
#11) A luminary moral officer will be selected at random from the BGG mass each day. Election will be determined by blind bidding of highest geek gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.