Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Diplomacy commentary - BGG05-2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commentary on Fall 1904 move of BGG05-2:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekjournal.php3?action=viewcom...
http://www.floc.net/observer.py?judge=DEDO&game=bgg052&page=...

NMR always hurts! Well, except when you double your number of supply centers anyway....

Austria must retreat to Tri and remove Ukr. Turkey can retreat to Adr for an advanced position or to Eas to cover his butt.

England's move was good. Letting a foreign fleet into Nth is usually distastrous, but with 2 builds (and none for Germany), I think he'll be OK. In retrospect, a supported attack on Mar would have been better for Germany. Fortunately, he can force both Den and Swe next season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Mar? Why would I attack Mar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
On Mar? Why would I attack Mar?

I said "in retrospect", meaning that if you had foreseen everyone else's moves, you have had a build from Mar and let England move Eng into Bre. Of course, you didn't know what was going to happen. I think you made a very good move given the information available to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But England isn't in Mar Italy is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zwiers
Netherlands
Overijssel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Translated into English :p
Why would Germany hurt his triple central alliance?

Although not entirely unhappy with my moves, I would have killed for the information that Austria would have had a NMR upfront! arrrh

caravan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why would Germany hurt his triple central alliance?

OK, I guess taking Mar would not be a good idea strategically. I'm doing my commentary off-the-cuff without looking at the history of the game or the diplomacy underlying everything, so I tend to mention short-term tactical things.

The players have an inside view and can judge the diplomatic situation far better than I. But when you're heavily invested in a game, you often overlook the objective analysis of the raw position on the board. Hopefully I provide a viewpoint that helps you evaluate the game dispassionately.

Please do not ever think that what I recommend is the best move. Sometimes a move that is strong tactically is inferior when considering the diplomatic relationships between the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.