Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Searching for other gamers by country on BGG would be very useful...in terms of setting up and reviewing potential trades and for locating other players locally to make new gaming contacts.

You can kind of do this now through Google if you are crafty by doing something like this:

Into the Google search page type the following line completely in this format:

site:www.boardgamegeek.com "Austria" -php3 -gamexml boardgamegeek.com/user

This will get you a list of links to users on the geek that are located just in Austria.

I just used Austria as an example...but of course any other country would work as well. Just replace "Austria" with "Denmark", "Korea" etc.

Another example is to type the following into Google which will find users from the United States that are from Minnesota for example:

site:www.boardgamegeek.com "united states" -php3 -gamexml "minnesota" boardgamegeek.com/user

I also recommend setting Google up to show 100 results under the advanced search options as you will then be able to see a comprehensive list of user names on one page.

This Google method works rather well as it manages to filter out the users from most of all the other data on BGG quite well.(Still a few extra pages show up...but not many and they are easily sorted through). The first few results returned by these searches are sometimes extraneous info...but the majority of the results are users profile pages from the requested locations.

I'm not sure why BGG doesn't have this type of feature built right into the site as it would appear to my naive eye to be quite simple to integrate.

I hope this search method is useful to others on BGG in making potential gaming contacts.

If this is really useful to anyone out there...I wouldn't mind a coin of geekgold sent my way if they have any to spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Warrell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
good work

i would send you bag , but i've only got the one arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
An interesting method which I appreciate... but it does turn up a lot of false positives. Your example:

site:www.boardgamegeek.com "Austria" boardgamegeek.com/user

The first four results are actually game-related (Kardinal and Konig, Age of Napoleon, Diplomacy, Napoleonic Wars), then a couple of users, then a Formula De page...

It seems any page that contains a link to any user profile is triggering the "boardgamegeek.com/user" match. Is there any way to limit hits to webpages that conatin "user" in the URL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Addendum: All the 'extra' pages (at least, in the Austria example) are "gamexml" pages. If you use the Advanced Serch and add "gamexml" to the "Find Results... without the words" box, you get exactly what we're looking for - a list of links to user profiles.

Or, from the 'normal' google prompt:

site:www.boardgamegeek.com "Austria" "boardgamegeek.com/user" -gamexml

That should nuke all the false hits and leave only user profiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That's certainly one way to reduce the "false positives" as Google has a lot of power for searching especially in the advanced search page. I don't find that there are many false hits though...I mean it's pretty easy to scan through and see the true hits. Probably 90% of the searches I've done are solid hits.

Thanks for the suggestion to make the search better though and I hope some can use this method to help find some gaming buddies near them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Updated and better search examples:
So here are the updated examples that...using Mark's suggestions (Thank you)...should work even better:

Just type this (or copy and paste) exactly as shown into the Google search.

site:www.boardgamegeek.com "Austria" -gamexml boardgamegeek.com/user

site:www.boardgamegeek.com "united states" -gamexml "minnesota" boardgamegeek.com/user

Hope this works well for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Another slightly improved format:
Ok another slight update to get a few more false positives out of the Google search:

site:www.boardgamegeek.com -php3 -gamexml boardgamegeek.com/user

I did this as a test to see how many users a "blank" search (without a Country or State search) would find on BGG...and Google comes back with 25100 hits with this search format so it appears to be returning a good number of users. I'm not sure how many total registered users there are on BGG...but the ability to find potentially 25000+ plus is useful IMO.

So the latest "best format" for the 2 examples would be as follows:

Type into Google search:

site:www.boardgamegeek.com "united states" -php3 -gamexml "minnesota" boardgamegeek.com/user

You may also have to click on... "repeat the search with the omitted results included." at the bottom of the search page on Google...as Google likes to group search results together...but for our purposes we want to see all the results opened up as this shows each individual user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow
OMG - this is great!

I didn't know there were some many danes in this place!

/jakob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once upon a time this feature was working here!

Hope that Aldie will make it available again for those of us not in the US...

Or else ninja!

goldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssssssssshhhhhhh
holy cow !!! keep it quiet jakob we almost have the place infested with danes now ssshhhhhh.....wait for the revolution day comrade!!...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full marks to Darren for the intitial search, and the update.

If, in a search

you use

"Country: Austria" instead of "Austria"

it makes it even more accurate.

For example my search for

"Country: United Kingdom" gives me only those profiles listed as being in the United Kingdom, rather than, for example, people in the US, who mention buying a game from the United Kingdom in their profile.

As Google also has access to the profile entry for "State" (which most Brits wouldn't bother with), I have just updated my profile to give my nearest City/County, so that anyone searching for local gamers may find me.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arpad Orfi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't work.
Searching for Austria using any of the above examples doesn't give back the more than 600 Austrian users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.