Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere before and I missed it. I also checked Consimworld.

This concerns the BASIC GAME (I just got The Lost Cause and am currently in the phase of "digestion")

I just wanted to clarify an Army Track issue when a white space is taken over. If the AoT captures Vicksburg, and the AotG is currently in Port Hudson, is that the end?

What I mean is, I know that the AoT will turn 180 degrees and will no longer advance. But does the AotG have to also advance to the white space to be "done"?

I ask because technically I could still use Mississippi battle actions to try and force them to their starting space for the positive DRM modifier, right? Or does the fact that I lost Vicksburg take away my presence in that theater (though the leader is still subject to shuffling, etc)? I suppose this question would also apply to the East.

Right now I am assuming that the AotG would no longer move (there is no further need) and I cannot attack them as I no longer have a military presence there.

I know the Advanced Game gives more rules for advancing after white spaces are taken over but the rules seemed a little "lite" for the Basic Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
Hi Jaret,

Thanks for the question. I'll look into it as soon as I get home.

Hans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
Jaret,

You can consider the Theater closed as per the highlighted sections of rule [13.5.1] as the Army of the Tennessee can no longer be activated or attacked. You could in theory continue to operate against the Army of the Gulf but to no real purpose. Also note rules [13.5.2] and [14.1] will also kick in after Vicksburg falls.

The basic game and all its abstractions was designed mainly to introduce and teach the game mechanics to new players. Once you get understand the game mechanics (and it seems that you do) I recommend you move on to the advanced game for a richer and challenging experience. Actually there's no reason why experienced wargamers should have difficulty jumping into the advanced game.

Hope you enjoy the game.

Hans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just finished 2 basic games (both crushing defeats) and my first advanced game (major defeat). Now I see what everyone is saying about the Advanced Game...this is the way to go!

So, yes, I feel silly asking about the basic game army tracks. I will never go back to basic.

I remember seeing in another thread where someone might have volunteered to work on combining the basic/advanced rules together so one wouldn't have to thumb through both. I think that would be very worthwhile as I almost missed things because the advanced section is not all inclusive.

As soon as the expansion is available, I know I will be ordering it. This game is very interesting and I am getting more and more determined to win at least ONE game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carnifex218 wrote:
I remember seeing in another thread where someone might have volunteered to work on combining the basic/advanced rules together so one wouldn't have to thumb through both. I think that would be very worthwhile as I almost missed things because the advanced section is not all inclusive.

I worked on the combined rules and I know Hans (the designer) is finishing them off but like all of us he's a busy guy. Any comments / news on the combined rules Hans?

carnifex218 wrote:
As soon as the expansion is available, I know I will be ordering it. This game is very interesting and I am getting more and more determined to win at least ONE game....

I play tested the expansion and it's great. It adds a lot to the game play and is well worth getting.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
Actually I don't consider game questions silly so please feel free to ask. I think by now we've got most of them covered in the FAQ and Errata.

We designed the game to be difficult to win and challenging but I estimate with experience and some luck you should be able to win about 1 in 7 of your games.

The Expansion Set should be out in a couple of weeks and thanks to Chris Dorrell and Mark Giordano who is doing the final formatting (since I dropped the ball) the Combined rules set incorporating clarifications and errata should be out soon after.

Hans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.