Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report isn't a wild adventure of clever prose and ye olde characterization, and I am sorry. But it is a good factual account of what one would expect in a single turn of a Kingdoms campaign. Just letting you know so you can hit Back.

I'm running a Kingdoms campaign at a con this next Saturday, and yesterday I had one last player to hold a teaching game with. We split the human starter deck since nobody in the campaign was humans (no unfair advantages), and used the pre-made 1491 point armies so army list construction would be fresh for the campaign as well.

For the battle, I used the Kingdoms* rules and laid out two terrain cards with two scenario cards. General Horsey Guy picked defense on Ticking Clock (over Breaking Point). The map had a two level hill in the middle and a small forest on my left side. The scenario rules were a hard 8 turn time limit, bonus points for the two terrain features, and bonus points for ending in your opponent's deployment zone. At the end of 8 turns total points are turned in to a ratio and checked against the VP chart. 2.5x the points is a Crushing Victory (8-1 VPs), down to less than 1.25x the points being a Marginal Victory (5-4 VPs).

I set up my Greatswords to go take the forest and my super Heavy Infantry and one unit of spears to take the hill. My peasants filled the middle. I looked across at militia and light cav on the forest side, two swordsmen ready to take the hill, and two scouts waaay out on the far flank.

It only took two turns for the fight to show how awesome this game is and how different it is from a full-control game like Warhammer. It also showed why a game to learn the rules before a campaign is such a good idea. The Light Cav were programmed to focus on my Greatswords. My Greatswords were set to close to the forest, and the adjacent, faster peasants were set to attack the closest enemy. So the Cavalry come tearing across the field, the GS goes left, the P goes straight, and after the cav passes the Peasants and hits the GS, the P slams in to their flank, forces a rout, and the horses are butchered. Around 13 lessons immediately learned in bloody on-the-job training.

On the other side, the game showed its finesse side. The 2 Scouts were set to close down in my right corner. So I had to peel off my hill-bound spears to make sure they didn't get trampled from behind. A few turns of taking direct control of the horses left the poor spears spinning and stumbling around trying to not get jumped in the flank. This left my Heavy Infantry alone against 2 Swordsmen. The HI's slow speed had let the Swordsmen have the hill. Downhill pinching flank attacks eventually wore down the HI's mighty armor, and the Swords would end the game owning the hill.

However, the Scouts would eventually be dragged down and killed, and the militia would lose to the Greatswords with no losses. So while the points would come out 8-1, more important than the brutal massacre of the horse army and the shaming of the general who would no doubt be dragged heel-first through the streets of his hometown by his own mother is the fact that the dead men were the direct ancestors of a particular group of Russian riflemen from Kursk. So the day's previous defeat of a group of misunderstood Germans who were just looking to get out of the rain was undone from history.

*KINGDOMS IS THE GREATEST CAMPAIGN SYSTEM FOR ANY GAME EVER MADE EVER. ALL WARHAMMER PLAYERS SHOULD BUY THAT DECK AND POOP ON THEIR COPY OF MIGHTY EMPIRES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with the campaign -- can't wait to hear how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent little battle report! People who aren't as familiar with the rules may balk at some of the terminology and wording, but those of us 'in the know' can appreciate the battle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.